Associate
Razer Tiamat :: Worlds First True 7.1 Gaming Headset

300215_10150410545537576_13848807575_10772109_475587_n.jpg

2lq7tg.jpg

http://www.razerzone.com/tiamat/en/features

Interesting :)

Last edited:
Soldato
*Sigh* People still label these things as 'true' 5.1/7.1. I might as well claim a 3D TV is 'true' 3D. ;)

Got to chuckle at the 40mm subwoofer. My headphones have 40mm drivers, so they must have a subwoofer in there too, somewhere. ;) :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
*Sigh* People still label these things as 'true' 5.1/7.1. I might as well claim a 3D TV is 'true' 3D. ;)

Got to chuckle at the 40mm subwoofer. My headphones have 40mm drivers, so they must have a subwoofer in there too, somewhere. ;) :p

I think its due to the amount of drivers in each ear cup. Most only have 1 and create virtual surround, where as these have multiple drivers.

Associate
I think its due to the amount of drivers in each ear cup. Most only have 1 and create virtual surround, where as these have multiple drivers.

Now, take a 5.1 speaker system, place all the speakers within 2mm of each other and listen to how good the 'surround' sound is.

Hence the issue. No driver seperation means no surround sound.

Associate
What platforms will they support? i.e. PC, Xbox, PS3 etc?

And as for the seperation, a speaker is not designed to be 2mm from it's brother, and due to there size they will be difficult to seperate, but if they are small enough and well positioned I don't see how this shouldn't be able to work. The problem will come if the speakers over-power each other and just drown each other out so it's just a wall of sound.

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
we will be carrying this line :)
as soon as pricing is available then i will let you know.
its early days yet though.

expect it to be a while before I hear anything off the supplier about this.
I have a feeling that they will be expensive though.

Associate
$179 (USD) I heard. If they are multi-platform capable (including PS3 and XB360 comunicator compatible) then that's not a bad price for a good set of headphones with communicator capabilities, especially with "real" surround sound.

Associate
What platforms will they support? i.e. PC, Xbox, PS3 etc?

And as for the seperation, a speaker is not designed to be 2mm from it's brother, and due to there size they will be difficult to seperate, but if they are small enough and well positioned I don't see how this shouldn't be able to work. The problem will come if the speakers over-power each other and just drown each other out so it's just a wall of sound.

And you implying that headphones drivers are designed to be packed on top of each other?

I've had a true 5.1 headset in the past, it used it for over a year infact. The 'surround' effect is rubbish and non existent. So all that happens if you pay a bunch of cash for no surround and tiny ultra budget low end drivers.

Looks at the website which shows where the drivers are located. The 'side' and 'rear' drivers are separated horizontally by seemingly <1mm. It's almost comical. How on earth you'd discern any different between that is anyones guess.

I like the way they claim the 20mm drivers in there will hit 20Hz too! And the 'Subwoofer' that hits 20,000Hz? Oh dear.

Soldato
US$180 for a bit of flogged dead horse audio design.. Marvelous!

The Hi-Fi guys gave up on this concept in the mid 20th Century. There's a reason...

Associate
I've personally had 2 5.1 headsets, and could always tell the difference between front, back and middle, however the difference is subtle compared to speakers, headsets are a specific shape, with speakers next to the ear, they can only do their best, if you want to know when someone is behind you then it's a good way. I find that you need to let yourself adjust to surround sound headsets to get used to 'their own' surround sound.

Ultimately, if I could afford it, I'd get the Tiamat, the side of the headset is clear, you can see the positions of the speakers, it's simple to understand.

Not as good as speakers... but when you have people in the house that are asleep then you have 2 options, 2.0 or surround sound.. Sometimes 2.0 is pretty accurate, but it depends on the persons preference.. personally when I play people are surprised when I turn around and kill them, often accusing me of cheating, I know I couldn't do that on 2.0

Soldato
The issue is that 'true' surround headsets with multiple drivers are never as good as speakers. A HRTF model that suits the user with stereo headphones can be as good as speakers to all intents and purposes, with the exception of whole-body tactile sensation.

I can usually tell the difference between front and rear on multi driver headsets but Dolby Headphone, CMSS-3D Headphone, Yamaha SilentCinema, MyEars, blueripple etc all do it better.

Just waiting for SVS Realiser to become available affordably then everyone will be able to have a pretty much perfect HRTF available and there will be no point at all in multiple-driver surround headsets.

Associate
i think this is great, i have just gone from G35s to roccat real 5.1 and the roccats are 100% better for surround sound!

Back
Top Bottom