Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
USO should show on google finance. USA controls the world hence this nasty selloff comes in their hours 2.30-9pm and USO is the USA oil fund, tracking that gives you idea of their perspective. I think its near a good low, for the moment anyway

Also these guys dont like cheap oil http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...he-Saudis-cant-afford-an-oil-price-slump.html

[good low = the closing prices of 2010 kept USO above this price]

What would you say to BP then?

Now that it's <400 I'm tempted to jump in and hold for a while.

From what I have read though, there isn't much confidence in Bob Dudley? Or is that just the media being the media? Talk of BP maybe being split up too.

Soldato
If you expect a lower FTSE you have to expect stronger currency.

I dont disagree on the negative stance. Ben B is a muppet but he is not Volcker, he wont but more importantly he cannot afford to raise rates above inflation so weak currency & stronger foreign earnings, shares to gain in sterling or dollar prices on a 5 year view.

Volcker's Fed is widely credited with ending the United States' stagflation crisis of the 1970s. Inflation, which peaked at 13.5% in 1981, was successfully lowered to 3.2% by 1983.[12]
Volcker raised the federal funds rate, which had averaged 11.2% in 1979, to a peak of 20% in June 1981. The prime rate rose to 21.5% in 1981 as well.

From what I have read though, there isn't much confidence in Bob Dudley? Or is that just the media being the media? Talk of BP maybe being split up too.

I dont know about Bob but he has been there a while. I just remember when the Russia mafia ran him out of the country, but TNK-BP survives profitably anyway
I would just decide based on the oil price, it should rise in line with that

BP has more in assets then the share price values them at, it just needs the oil price to stay high

Shine on gold's upward trajectory could herald new metals boom

For only the third time in 15 years, the gold price reached parity with platinum last week as investors piled into safe havens.
Gold hit a record high above $1,800 per ounce, before easing back slightly. The markets may have rallied on Friday, but demand for stable investments has not gone away.

Some therefore believe other precious metals offer better value given the gold price is up by more than 25pc this year. Ole Hansen, senior client adviser at Saxo Bank, said: "As gold climbed to new peaks silver could not keep up and together with platinum had to accept being left behind. On the previous two occasions parity was reached, platinum responded with a 20pc outperformance during the following months."

Nick Moore, analyst at RBS, said "platinum is now very cheap relative to gold".
Experts believe that despite caution around industrial metals, both platinum and palladium have strong fundamental factors behind their prices.

Walter de Wet, an analyst at Standard Bank, said: "We do not change our view on both metals [platinum and palladium] yet. We continue to believe the risk to production in South Africa remains high as wage negotiations continue at platinum mines. Independent from the strike threats, our view is that platinum and palladium should be bought on approach of $1,700 and $700."

^^ This is showing pressure on prices and its up not down imo

Last edited:
Soldato
Today is the reaction to the Merkel/Sarkozy governance proposal I was expecting yesterday.

Pretty heavy losses all around.

Even the Down Jones & Nasdaq have taken a similar beating in the first 3 hours of trading.

Soldato
Just using the time to average down, i'm in it for the long term anyways so i have no current or future needs to cash out at these levels.

Unluckily for me I need my portfolio in October for my house completion. I don't think I can sit and watch the markets bounce like this until then and risk being any further down that we were yesterday. So hopefully there may be a small rise back up to around 5300 in the next week or so when I can get out.

Pretty certain things are going to get a lot worse in the long run unless the EUzone can pull a rabbit out of it's arse as I don't think there's much confidence left anywhere at the moment.

Caporegime

Not really bankrupting if you could afford to write everything off.

Also lots of people on this forum are investing in fundamentals, these haven't changed it's the market conditions which are in flux, averaging down limits the amount the share needs to increase in value before I can cash out without any loss.

Granted I’m increasing my exposure and if the worst happens I will have more at risk but as I’ve already stated I’ve invested in a particular company for a reason.

Soldato
UPDATE: Turkish Jets Bombed 28 Targets In Northern Iraq - Army
(Adds further comments, background.)

ANKARA (AFP)--Turkish jets bombed 28 targets in northern Iraq used as bases by the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, the military said Friday.

The air force launched an "effective" operation against 28 targets on the Qandil, Hakurk, Avasin-Basyan and Zap regions of northern Iraq Thursday, the military said in a statement on its website.

In coordination with the air strikes, 96 more targets in the region were kept under intense artillery fire, the statement said.

"The targets were positively identified as belonging to the PKK, and the necessary sensitivity is paid to protect civilians," it said.

"The actions under the struggle against terror will go on with determination inside and outside the country based on the requirements of military needs," it added.

The first strike came Wednesday night after a deadly attack by the rebel group against a military unit in Cukurca town in southeast Turkey, killing nine security officials.

It is the first time in more than a year that the Turkish military has carried out air strikes on PKK bases in northern Iraq.

The PKK, listed as a terrorist group by Ankara and much of the international community, took up arms in the Kurdish-majority southeast in 1984, sparking a conflict that has claimed about 45,000 lives.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

August 19, 2011 03:31 ET (07:31 GMT)

BhYqO.png

144 on Barc seems a fair target for the moment. Also buying back a bit more Lloy which I last held largely at 62p

[chart is float adjusted]

Surge in buy-backs by US companies - FT.com - http://t.co/7sBLlcM ¬ recent stock price falls are excessive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Am I right in saying that the markets are basically compensating for the coming recession/stagnation/lower than expected growth, yes? Investors are flocking to 'safe-havens' due to uncertainty.

Tempted to dip my toes in if we see prices drop more when the US markets open....

Back
Top Bottom