Red Arrow crashes near Bournemouth

Associate
The last sentence does not really make the first one appropriate. You might want to reconsider that.

Let me explain, The 1st sentence was a random statement regarding the red arrows and MY opinion of them... Obviously he didn't kill himself ffs !!

The 2nd sentence is well pretty much self explanatory !

Oh and while I'm here I didn't cry when Amy Winehouse died either :|

Soldato
I'm not sure this is the right place to be slagging off the Red Arrows sir, especially when Mad Jay (see above) works for them and knows the pilot who died rather well...

Also, what has Amy Winehouse got to do with anything?

Soldato
I grew up watching the Reds at many different air shows! Truly mesmerising stuff!! Only a few weeks ago they were at the Swansea Bay air show and I got a lump in my throat seeing my three year old getting so excited watching them performing their incredible and as-ever flawless routine! Such an absolute tragedy to hear that one of them is no longer with us :(

Rest in peace Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging, you will be sorely missed by family, friends and fans alike!

Elrein, have a bit of respect ffs, edit that post or take your troll **** elsewhere!

Associate
Ok here we go, I'm sorry if I offended anyone and it is a sad loss.

I saw the red arrows @ goodwood a few years ago and let me say I wasn't the only one waiting for the "actual" entertainment to resume.

Man of Honour
Well, his opinion is clearly related as it involves the subject of the death.

He's apologised for any offence, give him a break :)

Associate
R.I.P

I was at Bournemouth watching them with a mate yesterday, as they flew off i said that i've seen them dozens of times and still get very excited watching them. So sad to think minutes after seeing them this happened.

Soldato
RIP.
sad by the news, whilst sad im sure every pilot that gets into those planes fully understand that one mistake and thats it. good life to lead though - isnt there a famous colin mcrae quote that goes on about were here to have not to see who can stick around the longest...anyway i guess that applies here. :(

Soldato
Tragic loss of life.

Already speculation that this may be the end of the red arrows, I really really REALLY hope this isnt true! Still amaze me each time I see them!!

Out of interest, what red was it that crashed? Looked at amateur footage on the BBC new site and it looks like red 4?

Footage seems to show a gentle drop while banking to the right? Possible that the guy blacked out?

Soldato
Yeap Red 4 - He transmitted a MayDay so he hadn't blacked out. From the footage it looks like he didn't/couldn't roll his wings level after the turn but ATC will have a copy of his Mayday so at least the AIB will have a good starting place for the investigation.

Soldato
Very sad indeed :(. Amazing skill to fly any of the fast jets but to be part of the Red Arrows goes to show how much ability the pilots had.

He transmitted a MayDay so he hadn't blacked out. From the footage it looks like he didn't/couldn't roll his wings level after the turn.
Perhaps the chance of en engine stall during the turn and with no time to restart at such a low altitude, no other option than to continue the turn to avoid the houses. We'll find out I guess.

R.I.P

Soldato
As a 16 year aircraft engineer I would be surprised if it was "just" an engine fail. Even with a engine fail you can still move the control surfaces so there should have been enough to roll level and pull up if it was a pure engine fail/birdstrike etc. With a dead engine the Generators stop powering the electrically driven Hydraulic systems (and radios for a MayDay call too) causing control lock after a few seconds but there's a back-up (either APU/Battery) which takes say 10secs seconds to start + residual pressure in the system for instant need (i.e roll level + pull back before trying to start your backup).

Of course this is all pure speculation until the RAF BoI sits although there's usually a good idea within the 1st 2-3 days, less when they have the MayDay call as now.

EDIT - From the Daily Fail who interviewed the 1st on scene it appears he ejected sideways into some trees while the A/C was still rolled over on it's side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom