Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I say scale in and buy a few times because so long as you like the company it should be ok at any rough price around here.
Just decide if you are sure about their prospects improving or not, its possible to hesitate forever.

I literately had my finger on the buy button for Fresnillo at 550p in 2009 but it was volatile and I waited and its tripled :o

Adding ATK to my monday list also. Blue marks large volume and possible support area, like hurdles a volatile market can just go right through but it should be harder

Declining volume in a negative market is a double negative ie. hidden positive

sp3Ia.jpg.gif

IeQ6o.jpg.gif

Ik2nh.jpg.gif

lYvwa.jpg.gif

q6xg6.jpg.gif

dwjs3.jpg.gif

Rny5Y.jpg.gif

Investopedia chart explanations -
On Balance Volume
Price By Volume Chart

Last edited:
Soldato
The TESCO chart is not working sorry. STAN looks within a range of high volume

BBKVw.gif

QrImp.gif

Like a lot of stocks both these shares are back to July 2009 prices which an important turning point at the time as companies released better results. They both could rise, Tesco chart shows support from that time and STAN is also 'supported'

I own STAN, I sold it last year about this time because it did well. Unfortunately I already bought it back this year thinking it was fair value, I will add a bit more here though I think.
Yield is 3.3% which it can afford imo

RE: a Gold bubble.
After USA debt was downgraded, the price rose. Thats a bubble where as gold has fallen plenty of times.
Miners as an index (^HUI) have not followed actual gold price (GLD) rises properly.

So you got one side where miners are definitely going to make more money but price doesnt rise and the other side where governments are losing so much money they may fail but their price is at the peak of a 30 year rise

When bonds do drop in price that 'wealth' will flood the cash prices of everything

xz6Pz.png

Last edited:
Permabanned
would have made 2p per share on Barclays if I bought them :(

Thats 100 quid.

Wheres the best place to start on something like this? Is it to do it with one of those web bookie type things, sharedax or whatever they are called?

Or do I phone up my bank and tell them i want to buy x amount of shares in this company and they do it? Are these things instant? Also surely someone takes a cut of what you spend/make on selling? Is there a middle man in all of this?

Caporegime
Open a share dealing account, plenty of info where and how in this thread.#

You would have not made £100 if you factor in stamp duty and fees.

Caporegime
would have made 2p per share on Barclays if I bought them :(

Thats 100 quid.

You need to look at risk / reward.

TBH £100 is nowt, as Si has said above if you take out £8 - £13 for the buy and the same again to sell plus stamp duty you might actually only be making £70 profit.

It's hardly worth the effort.

Things are looking up for my Gold miners this morning, lets hope the rises continue!

Soldato
Dont look back in anger, classic mistake.
VGM is up 10% today on the back of this gold price rise I think, thats ok I hold some but I could have bought some at 70ish ,I said so here.

Just realising this stock was all in line for a rise. Still gold price could come down 20% and give me another chance, its a high cost mine not yet proven in investors minds

My charts were bad because they did a share split or something, this one adjusts it all by share base long term. Makes way more sense

m1bz3.gif

Seems going long on gold to $2000 is a no brainer?

I dont own much physical. The main thing I see is a long term higher price (average). It could fall 20% and miners would still be cheaper then they should be, presuming they have large profit margins then why not.

VGM has a problem with its margins as they explore

Caporegime
I'm talking about just spreadbetting gold rather than buying actual stock.

I've been playing with my spreadbetting demo account. Gold is scary though as 1 point is $0.1 so it moves damn quick in the current market, however $2000 is 1200points away so if your brave, £10 a point could be a nice bet (or VERY expensive)

Soldato
I'm talking about just spreadbetting gold rather than buying actual stock.

I've been playing with my spreadbetting demo account. Gold is scary though as 1 point is $0.1 so it moves damn quick in the current market, however $2000 is 1200points away so if your brave, £10 a point could be a nice bet (or VERY expensive)

I fancy going long on gold, but based on the recovery that seems to be going on today, and with the DJ looking like it is going to have a good day, Im selling gold today @£2 per point - currently £40 up, but not much work getting done as I daren't look away - it is too scary...

Soldato
I think long term gold will climb and if other governments follow Chavez and bring their physical gold home, then gold will soar, but we will have to wait and see what he actually does and if anyone else actually follows his example

Soldato
Spreadbetting is all about taking the money and running, another mistake Ive often made is to try and draw a line in the sand and actually apply principles to why its moving up or down, if its leveraged money you need to have a target to close and a stop loss, etc.
If its moving 1 dollar for every 0.1 it moves then that must be 10 ounces they just signed you up to buy or $19,000

Short gold also means you are long the dollar. I dont trade it, its a market subject to tidal waves of movement for whatever reason

j0dM5.gif

So magic numbers, 1897, 1870, 1840 and 1780 based on previous highs and lows on a weekly closing basis

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would moving Gold you own around make any difference to the price of gold :confused:.

Becuase of the leverage and gold loaned out which applies for all the gold trades.
I will see if I can find the article, but there is a theory out there that the amount of gold traded/hedged/long is actually 100 times the amount of physical gold that the central banks hold..

Closed my short for the grand total of £13.72 profit :D
Thought about going long, but decided to call it a day, too much jumping around..

Back
Top Bottom