Let's talk suits...

Nix

Nix

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;19904137 said:
No, it's not true. It's only true for High Street tat that falls apart if you look at it the wrong way. Properly made suits are designed to be dry cleaned and look their best having been done so and then pressed.

So in theory, I 'should' be able to wear this suit as regularly as any other?

Obviously, budget dictates that future suits aren't as pricey, so 'average' may be the way to go there.

Caporegime
Sorry, I misunderstood - thought you were still to buy the suit. In this case, follow the care label which willa lmost certainly say dry clean only. Wool suits are perfectly fine to dry clean and you won't have any issues in the short term. Depending on the quality it might show signs of wear as time goes on but this is down to the quality of the suit not dry cleaning as a process.

An M&S suit might last a year, maybe a little longer, if it's worn fairly frequently. They're not built for longer term ownership. A fashion suit (River Island, Next etc) will last even less time.

e : we appear to be out of synch in our replies :o

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
OP
Cheers!

I think for convenience too, it's probably a good idea to get daily-wear as something machine washable! :)

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;19904137 said:
No, it's not true. It's only true for High Street tat that falls apart if you look at it the wrong way. Properly made suits are designed to be dry cleaned and look their best having been done so and then pressed.

Alternatively get something that looks good and contemporary, clean it a few times and then give it to Oxfam after 6 months. Buy a new one and stay with the fashion trends.

I still have a couple of these bespoke suits in my wardrobe and they're 15 years old. They're in great condition and they'll have to be, because it will be another 10 years before they're acceptable again. :)

Soldato
On the subject of River Island, bought some shoes from there a while back and I found that the colouring seems to be sprayed on or something... the slightest scuff takes it all off. Horrible stuff. :( M&S far better.

Soldato
Next isn't a bad shout in my opinion. Had a few from there which have lasted a fair while.

Only had one from River Island and sadly it hasn't been the best. Debenhams isn't a bad shout either if you're going to look in M&S and Next etc.

Remember it's not just the suit that makes a bloke look dapper. You've got to look trim yourself. No point having scruffy hair and beard etc. It's soon made to look as scruffy as you. Keep your shoes looking nice as well and make sure your shirts aren't too skanky. Always wear a belt regardless of whether you need to hold your trousers up or not. Make sure tie/shirt/blazer colours don't clash too heavily. And your tie's need to be dry cleaned occasionally as well in most circumstance. The coffee spillage look tie isn't and never was fashionable either classically or in a contemporary starbucks society.

Soldato
Depends on what the suit is for. If you work in a serious profession then you should get either a M&S, TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt suit off the rack then have a tailor adjust it to fit you. Total cost including alternations £200-250ish. Do not make the mistake of spending extra money on some Austin Reed/Jaeger et al. suit because you get nothing extra for your money and (IMO) they often look horrible. Topman, River Island et al. are cheap and also look horrible. If you have extra cash then get a made-to-measure suit from a decent tailor, but you should wait a few years for that until you discover what your tastes are.

If you are new to suits, then stick to classic cuts too. You need to learn the rules before you can bend them. Two/three button, navy blue/charcoal grey, notched lapels of normal width etc. If you have money to burn or work in some 'creative' industry then you can ignore this, but you may not look good or be taken seriously. You really shouldn't need to dry-clean the suit all that often (did you buy an extra pair of trousers? that often helps and you may wish to consider doing so before that line of suits becomes unavailable).

Soldato
I had an M&S washable suit (+extra trousers) for 2 years of 6th form and it stood up well - was really cheap as well! (£60 + trousers I think). For general everyday use, it looks smart enough, is comfortable, and easy to keep clean. 'Care' wise, all I do is try and avoid stressing the fabric (e.g. pull the legs up a bit when I sit down), try and avoid getting it dirty (most dirt seems to brush off anyway though) and it's lasted 2 years of use fine.

I also got a slightly nicer looking suit ('strokesmans' I think it was) from TKmax (yes, yes, I know) for a similar price to alternate with my other one, but I wore it out much more quickly. They seem to have some reasonably nice suits in there now and then, but obviously they probably won't be in your size.

Associate
Spent £200 on a suit today (tuesday) at Burton (including shirt and tie, as well as shoes from clarks) as im on a bit of a tight budget in preperation for my grandad's funeral. So glad I went though as he passed away at 0.25AM this morning :(. Surprisingly the suit's fairly descent quality though.

Soldato
OP if you have no professional need for suit, I would look to either hire a suit. If you are sure you are going to wear it only 3 times in a couple of years then the difference between a £70.00 Matalan suit, £200.00 M & S suit and £450.00 on an even more expensive brand is by enlarge not an issue, it's what it's going to look like in 2-3 years time compared to the designs of the time that will dictate how good value it is.

I have to wear suits for meetings. I get a couple from Asda a year and dispose of them and have another suit from Next which cost more for more important engagements.

Man of Honour
I've used Slater's Menswear a couple of times for suits and they seem to have a fairly decent range for a variety of budgets and be reasonable quality considering what you're paying plus they do free alterations. You can of course get better but if you've got one close then it's probably worth a look at least.

Soldato
All my suits are Jeff Banks, they fit very nicely and have lasted a fair while too. Wait for a Debenhams sale and you can pick them up pretty cheap. Gonna try a better one next time though to see how it compares.

Back
Top Bottom