Gamers - What Soundcard Are You Using?

Soldato
People say they are not audiophiles and just use onboard. Really.. it's only when you go back to onboard sound from something reasonable, you realise how bad onboard actually is in comparison.

A MASSIVE improvement to listening to CD's etc through an X-Fi, and much better in games (not taking CMSS into account, I just mean quality). Even a layman like me can tell the difference and appreciate it :) )

But if you're not an audiophile you wouldn't 'waste' money on a dedicated sound card anyway, so not an issue! :)

Also, surely it depends on the headphones/speakers you use? My speakers were cheap, 13 years ago when I bought them!

I think i've got a 5.1 SoundBlaster card in another PC (it came with it) and it's just a bit of a pain really as it has no front panel connectors and I can't say I notice a big difference in audio quality (if any).

Soldato
Does onboard sound come with a performace impact these days? back in the day a good soundcard used to give a small performace boost. if its purely about quality then to be frankly id be better off replacing the 20 year old speakers and sub im using than buying a sound card.

Speakers are the only thing thats been plugged into every PC i have ever built.
Cost a bleeding fortune back then as well.

Soldato
I'm using an X-Fi Extreme Gamer, coupled with a pair of Goldring DR150 headphones piped through an old 80's hi-fi for amplification. Sounds absolutely amazing.

I use the CMSS3D feature to emulate 5.1 surround sound. I'd love to have a proper 5.1 speaker system, but thin walls and a wife who hates loud noises prevent it!

I've had the odd driver issue - recently the sound driver would fail to load on occasion necessitating a re-boot, but it all seems to work now.

One of the reasons I like having an X-Fi is using the ALchemy app to re-enable hardware acceleration and EAX for older games on Windows 7.

Soldato
Xonar DG + decent cans because:

1) The Xonar "just works" and my previous creative was a pain in the arse
2) Headphone amp is nice
3) No interference like my onboard when using my mic + has decent gain control. I don't sound like a chump on vent.
4) There are modified drivers for the DG as well if you want bleeding edge stuff - they also remove the stereo upmix on by default problem.

If anyone buys a DG because of this thread be warned that the drivers turn on "DG mode" (or is it DX?) by default which adds delay through the centre channel and echo which sounds beyond crap. I have no idea why they do this, make sure you disable it.

Associate
OP
http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/SB-X-Fi-PCI-Install-Disc-1-0-unofficial/td-p/556496

Yes it is 600MB (sadface from me when I had to emergency download it in peak time using up 3 days worth of bandwidth).

Haven't tried the link so not sure if it's one you've already tested as dead.

successfull link - Many thanks;)

X-Fi is now working again with it's various consoles etc. i still think the software installation is a pig.
Alas though, it seems a speaker in my faithful old Medusa cans has given up the ghost......
I enjoyed the surround sound experience within a headset so after much reviewing I've ordered a set Of Roccat Kave 5.1's from here.
I know loads of peeps don't like headset surround sound but I always enjoyed it with my Medusas.

New headset on it's way and a shiny 570GTX to install in a minute is going to revitalize my gaming experience:cool:

Soldato
Creative X-FI Extreme Music, paid £15 for it 5 years ago and never had any issues with it and still impresses with how well it sounds all this time later. I keep considering upgrading it but I think I'll just until it pops

Back
Top Bottom