• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A Little Help - GTX580

Associate
Hi

Looking for a little help and advice as to what to try next. I recently purchased a Gainward GTX580 "GOOD Edition" 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card and ran into some stability troubles under windows 7 64, both within the normal OS and using the card under moderate 3D load (StarcraftII and some rift for testing).

Problem ranges from 30 min usage then freezing / hanging up. A Lot of driver resets, screen going blank, and then coming back on, windows saying the driver has failed then manage to restart.

When you try to load the GFX with 3D games (StartcraftIIa / Rift) you get around 15 - 20 mins of stable game play then the same things happens, black screen / freezing / locking up and needing to reboot.

Even with the software provided with the card, when you clock it right down to virtually no load, the same behaviour happens under windows, freezes / locking up.

I have tried the latest Nvidia drivers (280) and also the last stable version before that also (275.33) and even tried Beta drivers, all using the clean install method.

Same things happen, freezing / locking up under virtually no load. Also swapped the GFX slot on the motherboard to no avail same behaviour, and re-seated all the power connections + system memory as a last resort.

I though the card maybe faulty so got it RMA’ed back to OC and it was tested OK on their rigs, so I’m back to square one really.

I guess the last resort is a full system wipe / re-install OS with latest drivers etc and see from there, is there anything else you guys reckon I should be trying to narrow this down??

Any help / hints would be appreciated.

My other hardware is:-

(Currently running a GTX260)

Case Zalman Z Machine Black.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P
Motherboard Chipset: AMD790X
Motherboard BIOS: 6.00PG
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), 3.2GHz
Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel (KHX8500D2K2/4G) - 8GB Total Memory Latency:
PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 750Watt

Thanks.

Man of Honour
The 'Good Edition' is a factory overclocked version, theres been times when these have shipped in the past with insufficient voltage settings on them as standard.

Download something like MSI Afterburner and try increasing the voltage a little to see if you still get the issues. You dont mention trying this so, this would be my best guess.

Associate
OP
I've got the card re-installed now and changed the voltage settings from 1.035 to 1.050 is that enough do you think, or should I set it higher as default.

cheers.

Man of Honour
I've got the card re-installed now and changed the voltage settings from 1.035 to 1.050 is that enough do you think, or should I set it higher as default.

cheers.

Try it with that, and see if it happens, it really shouldnt need more than 1.05 to work.

I'd suggest same to other guy, it doesnt hurt to rule it out.

Permabanned
+1 sounds like an unstable overclock.

Had the same thing with my 5870 so I flashed it with a non-overclocked VBIOS. Not sure if this works the same way for the green team.

Associate
OP
I'm stumped, moved all the slider's on MSI down :-

[email protected] (had as high as 1.055)
Core Clock 405
ShaderClock 810
Memory 1005
Fan Speed Auto

Testing with Heaven DX11 engine - just ran the opengl test gets into it for about 50 seconds then black screen. Also seem to get a lot of monitor resets, saying the the Dell TFT's are going into power saving mode, then come back just as quick.

also the usual nvidia driver reset messages on the task manager.

Weird I would have said a faulty card but its been tested by OC on their rig.

A last resort is to wipe my system, which im kinda holding back on.

Soldato
Things I would check:
- Look at the power cables from the PSU to make sure you use the correct ones (not sharing with other components and/or split over several rails)
- Is the CPU running at stock speed? if not set it back to stock.
- How is the airflow in your case? (maybe try with side removed)
- What was you previous card?

Associate
OP
I've double checked the following :-

GFX is connected to a single cable VGA1 + VGA2 which goto single rail
CPU is factory default speeds
Airflow in the case seems ok,as far as im aware GFX on idle is 39
The previous card I had was GTX260.

Case is open at the moment temp is 36.

Maybe I've just got an incompatible PSU or main board. Last resort is to blast the PC from scratch.

Associate
OP

That's unreal! Oh man it seems I have one of those problem cards. There's no way I'm going through all that, I'm contacting OC this morning for a full refund otherwise it's going into the hands of the creditcard company to deal with.

Thanks for your help guys much appreciated, btw I did wipe my machine last night and installed the latest drivers on a base windows installation.....

Guess what same crap again.

I'll keep you guys updated, I'm well up for a fight! :mad:

Associate
That's unreal!

Sorry, but it is very real.

The experience has put me off Nvidia for life. Not only did I waste many, many hours swapping components and doing fresh installs of Windows and trying different drivers, Nvidia have not yet solved the problem. Luckily I got my GTX460 swapped, which currently works fine (although it hasn't had a lot of hard use yet). I know that it isn't quite right because it doesn't boot up in another motherboard that I had (although the first card I had did !). It's a good job I had matching motherboard and graphics cards (Gigabyte), as I had to send them both together in for testing. Had the MB been any other make, heaven only knows how much more grief it would have caused me.

It was the most hassle I`ve had with any PC build/upgrade, and what makes it worse is that Nvidia seemed to be unwilling to take the problems seriously.

Associate
OP
Result,

Kudos to OC they are prepared to give me a refund, even though they stated the card looks fine on their test rig + the most likely cause would be my motherboard due to age etc.

So onwards to the post office. They also advised to stick with non clocked cards direct from manufacturers etc.

cheers folks, If you have issues then get it back ASAP.

Associate
Nice 1.

What card are you getting as a replacement ?

Whoa ! Hang on a second, I`ve just noticed you have the same motherboard as me !

If I were you, I'd stick with an AMD Gfx card. I was told that I would have no issues with an AMD MB + Nvidia Gfx card before I "upgraded", but it appears that the two competitors products don't always play ball (although it might be just pot luck).

Last edited:
Associate
I managed to sort mine out by bumping up the voltage from 1.038 to 1.063 the clocks shown in my sig,(Defaults for the card i have). IF I wanted to push the clocks more i'd have to increase the voltage again.

Currently able to run Crysis 2 again @ DX11 Ultra settings 1080 not lock ups/crashes. Temps hitting 71/72 degrees max. :)

Man of Honour
I managed to sort mine out by bumping up the voltage from 1.038 to 1.063 the clocks shown in my sig,(Defaults for the card i have). IF I wanted to push the clocks more i'd have to increase the voltage again.

Currently able to run Crysis 2 again @ DX11 Ultra settings 1080 not lock ups/crashes. Temps hitting 71/72 degrees max. :)

Wahey, at least someone had some good luck! :)

Associate
OP
Update :)

After getting a refund I decided to go for a different vendors card (still a GTX580 tho call me mad i know) and also upgraded my memory + motherboard at the same time.

This time I went for all Asus ROG kit -

Asus Crosshair V Formula AMD 990FX Mainboard with
Asus GeForce GTX 580 Matrix Platinum 1536MB

Running like a dream rock solid so far with some basic testing (10Hour DX11 Benchmark)

Since OC were so good at refunding me with no hassle I figured since I was gonna go the extra mile and upgrade the main etc I'd give them the business.

So happy camper.

Here she is (monster takes up 3 slots)

gtx580.jpg

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
Very interesting thread. I've been having very similar issues and I'm on my 3rd 580 which is still giving me problems. It's an Asus card on an Asus board as well. Interesting thread on the nvidia forums too. I wonder if a BIOS update will fix it.

Back
Top Bottom