Red Arrow crashes near Bournemouth

Soldato
If your on about the pilots this isn't the case, they are all down to earth, relaxed people who have no sign of an ego problem.

There was a right **** on the team last year though. :p Who just looked down on groundcrew with his snobby attitude.

Cool. I'm sure you have got a few backseat trips in your time then? Does Red 1 really run the show or are there other guys above him who have the ultimate say?

Soldato
The Aircrew/Groundcrew relationships on the Red Arrows is meant to be very good unlike most other squadrons. The one exeption was on the Puma's were it was a good relationship and you had a laugh especially as you wen't away so much. Generally its them and us and is horrid at times.

Associate
I've been fortunate enough to have the Reds as my first posting in the RAF, I'm due to leave on September 9th though to return to DCAE Cosford to complete my Avionics Further Training course which lasts 13 months (groan).

I was lucky enough to be picked for a backseat trip in Cyprus in March.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...50122488376176_566351175_6879082_520425_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0113130891176_566351175_6872674_5693733_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0113131041176_566351175_6872675_5707782_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0113132096176_566351175_6872678_7202567_n.jpg

Controlling the plane was amazing and its extremely easy to fly, I did my own turns and loops before letting Zane (Red 9) retake control and throw it around the sky.

As for the Boss controlling the season, its his train set so to speak. I believe they put forward new ideas to the "bigger bosses" each year and they decide if to add it to the display or not. As for where they display, organisers apply via the RAF Events team and they choose where the Reds display.

Last edited:
Soldato
A fellow Fairy good choice.... :) Very lucky indeed to get the Red's as your first choice I got Kinloss which was great as I was from Kent.
I have been lucky to have a back seat in a hawk and it really is the sports car of the skies...

Associate
I applied to work on Helicopters on my first "Dream sheet". Was kinda gutted that I got the Reds as I wanted to work on the Merlins as some of my friends from Halton where at Benson and I had quite an interest in Helicopters.

A few days later at Scampton I soon realised where I was and it all changed. :p

Soldato
I did 6 years at Benson on Puma's best part of my career by far. I still would have liked a trip on the Red's or even BBMF. I had my name down but nothing came of it, too many Av Tech's on the list I was told...

Soldato
Jay what is your relation to the red arrows? Sorry if answered earlier in the thread and ive missed it.
My best friend works at Scampton as a PTI and is quite upset about the whole thing/the way it has been reported, Also knew Mike Ling when he had his accident (coincidently his father is a close family friend)

Always loved the red arrows for no 1 reason, just something in me drawn to them, maybe thats a little odd :D

Associate
The hawks are cleared to fly again but I'd be surprised if there are any more displays this year. Jay do you have any info on this?

Keep watching the skies :p The Jets are returning from Bournemouth tomorrow. The weekends displays are cancelled with the pilots looking to practising 8 ship formations early next week. We are still unsure when our first public display will be.

Jay what is your relation to the red arrows? Sorry if answered earlier in the thread and ive missed it.
My best friend works at Scampton as a PTI and is quite upset about the whole thing/the way it has been reported, Also knew Mike Ling when he had his accident (coincidently his father is a close family friend)

Always loved the red arrows for no 1 reason, just something in me drawn to them, maybe thats a little odd :D

I work with the groundcrew, is your PTI friend Loz or Titch?

Soldato
Keep watching the skies :p The Jets are returning from Bournemouth tomorrow. The weekends displays are cancelled with the pilots looking to practising 8 ship formations early next week. We are still unsure when our first public display will be.

I work with the groundcrew, is your PTI friend Loz or Titch?

Loz, take it you know him then haha

Back
Top Bottom