Getting a toddler to ask for things

Soldato
And why isn't it the best place to get 'initial' advise when I wouldn't be surprised out of the 1000s of members we have that there is a qualified Speech Therapist on here.
Give OCUK respect, we have lots of very clever people on here and it's why I joined.

There are plenty of people on here who are clever. That is correct. There are also plenty of people who give very bad advice.

Personally I wouldn't come to a computer forum for 'initial' advice on a potential issue with my child. That's just me.

Well, you first comment did come across as a little arrogant and dismissive. The second one, however, clarifies your position, although why should the poster not try to get some advice on here? I'm sure that he would have been advised to seek professional advice if the honourable members had considered that to be the case.

Me arrogant? Never. :D However I am of the opinion that parents giving advice to others parents can often do more harm that good. From what I see nowadays a lot of people / organisations / TV / websites seem to give lots of advice often bad and often conflicting.

Love it!

I'm about to embark on this "wonderful journey" of parenthood myself but from my own observations and what my friends have told us my 2p would be:

1) Parents shouldn't talk to their kids in 'kiddy language' - talk to them properly and they will eventually pick up on it. A friend of ours talks to her little girl with such annoying soppy tones and even when telling the child off the mother sounds almost afraid.

2) Ask the child to calmly explain (best they can) what it is exactly they would like (no “I want”), don’t get frustrated and have patience for them to explain and learn how to ask. Another friend almost gets hysterical when the child is asking for things and she doesn't understand, it ends up with her shouting at the child that she doesn't understand and the child is crying in frustration.

3) Spend as much time talking to your children as you can. Not talking as a family (e.g. over dinner) and too much TV seem to be the main issues my friends have found (in hindsight) effected their child’s communication skills. Surely the best way to develop communication skills is by observing it in action?

But I probably have no clue and from what others say it's something she'll grow out of.

I suppose the key lesson is patience.

Good luck.

First child? Good luck. Let us know how your patience goes and your three points! :p:D

Oh and you missed out 4: Raise a well disciplined child.

Soldato
@OP, your post is totally reconisable, our 2 year old son is the same.
He can say 'bye dad/mum' and knows animal sounds but that's it, if he wants a drink or food he points to the cupboard or fridge without saying anything and no matter how much we ask him to he refuses.

He was walking before he was 1 so we thought he would be fast with speech as well but he isn't, it's almost as if he is shy and doesn't want to say something wrong.

Soldato
[Damien];19925521 said:
Haha, if that was a serious post then that's the most retarded thing I've ever read. I'm not going to withhold food from a child who doesn't understand the proper way to ask for it.

I've been trolled haven't I?..
I think that was a serious post, perhaps Hyburnate doesn't have kids?

I tried that method but it won't work and only leads to crying and frustration.

Associate
Nah, I wasn't being sarcastic. I may not agree with you that Rastamouse is bad for children, but it's great that you're concerned enough about your child that it crosses your mind at all.

Cheers. There's nothing more important than my child, and what is good and bad for him.

He's at that very impressionable age (does that ever change) where I notice his behavioural changes depending on which "Auntie" he has been playing with at pre-school on a particular morning. He's a sponge, and I am very
cognisant of anything that might affect him, in that I will only allow TV with moral, or learning, benefits. A lot of kid's programmes provide debate and guidance on "right and wrong" which I think is valuable, and he's not often allowed to watch anything without being constantly questioned on what he is actually seeing.

Leaving any child simply sitting in front of the TV is criminal, and, I'm sure, common, and my wife read an article recently where the only book in a home was an Argos catalogue. The very fact that Damien has asked a question on here is fantastic, and shows that he has his daughter's best interests at heart. I wish that was universal.

Last edited:
Associate
[Damien];19923836 said:
I've got a (nearly) 2yr old daughter, and I'm bashing my head against a wall trying to get her to talk properly. On the whole she's a happy child but sometimes gets frustrated when she wants something from us and has no idea how to get it other than point at it.

She'll say hello and bye (and wave) fine (saying hello and bye at the start and end of tv programs is cute as hell). If I ask her "what noise do ducks make?" she'll quack. If I ask her "what noise do bees make?" she'll make the most hilarious attempts at a buzzing noise you'll ever see. If I ask her "what noise do frogs make?" she'll quack too but maybe some frogs do quack, I dunno. If I ask her what noise tigers make she'll say "rawr!" with the accompanying pouncy claw hand motions. But she'll never say 'duck' or 'tiger' or 'bee' or whatever.

She knows who mummy and daddy are and if someone asks her where's daddy she'll point and say "there he is!" but refuses to say 'mummy' or 'daddy'.

I can say 'apple' or 'nana' or 'juice' until I'm blue in the face when ever she wants or gets one of them but to no avail.

You have basically just described my son. He is exactly the same. Will not say the exact word but know what they mean.

He can clearly say:
Mum
Dad
Nana
grdad (not grandad)
Go
down
car

He has only recently started trying to say the actual words for some things:

Milk is mi
Duck us Duh
Lion is ROAR!!
and a few others

Even started putting words together ie. if we ask how we get to nanas he will say " in da car"

It am sure it will come. The second will be easier a friend of our has a daughter 2 weeks older than our son and she can say full sentences. For instance I was in her way the other day and she actually said "move out the way uncle Tom". It is really annoying! However she does have an older sister who is always talking and this makes a massive difference.

I am not worried and I wouldnt be if I were you mate. She will come along as I am sure my boy will.

Soldato
Leaving any child simply sitting in front of the TV is criminal...

This is why I posted that asking for advice on parenting in GD will only end badly. You end up with such black-and-white this is right everything is wrong statements like you have just posted.

Leaving a child in front of the TV is criminal? Really? It may be a necessary for brief periods especially if you have two busy parents. It may even be beneficial if the right programs for the right amount of time.

In moderation TV is fine as long as it is counterbalanced by other activities such as reading and active and mentally stimulating play.

The very fact that Damien has asked a question on here is fantastic, and shows that he has his daughter's best interests at heart. I wish that was universal.

On this I agree. Once you have produced a child his or her best interests should always be at heart. Thing is this doesn't ever stop even when they have grown up and left home. That's the joy of being a parent.

Man of Honour
Mrs Dimple texted me only just realising the child isn't 2 yet and saying not to worry just yet.
Some children are late and some children are early but still use the techniques she said.
She said start worrying when they are 3 and should be holding simple conversations because all her children come to her at 5 years old and can't talk.
Usually they have been sat in front of a TV all their life and if they can say some words it's with an American accent.

Associate
This is why I posted that asking for advice on parenting in GD will only end badly. You end up with such black-and-white this is right everything is wrong statements like you have just posted.

Perhaps I should clarify that then, although I thought that a summary of my postings in this thread would have made my overall view more apparent.

I meant that leaving a child unattended, sitting in front of the TV for long periods of time, with no other interaction, could be detrimental to that child, and therefore criminal. Perhaps criminal was too strong a word to use, perhaps neglect?

Soldato
If you get food by kicking your Mrs up the rear and pointing into the kitchen, then you know that's all you have to do to get fed.

If a kid points at the fridge and is given what they want out of it, then to get it again, they will simply point at the fridge.

Associate
A play group of sorts ?

we have something called flying start in our area for low income families
basically drop them off for two hours its like a pre-Nursery deal

more interaction with children who play speak behave "diffrently"
they allso get to do some activites finger painting blocks and shapes etc

surprising in a week or so what they can pick up
without mum and dad breathing down their neck

our 3 enjoyed going...

Soldato
My eldest son who turned out to be Autistic couldn't speak a word till he was nearly 5, and even with all his disabilities he got there eventually and never stops talking now. I did a lot of reading on late talkers, that in of itself is not a bad sign and your daughter will talk when she's ready. Don't over do the reading to her, just make sure it's fun and talk to her normally. Just use normal everyday conversation, ask her questions, point things out. Understanding language comes before expressive language. Best advice, stop worrying, she'll get it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A play group of sorts ?

we have something called flying start in our area for low income families
basically drop them off for two hours its like a pre-Nursery deal

more interaction with children who play speak behave "diffrently"
they allso get to do some activites finger painting blocks and shapes etc

surprising in a week or so what they can pick up
without mum and dad breathing down their neck

our 3 enjoyed going...

I'm not with the mother of my daughter (broken Britain in action eh?) so I'm just trying to do the best by her during the time I do get with her. I'm all for having her attend playschool/nursery etc but getting the ex to go along with it is like pulling teeth. She spends a lot of time at family's houses with their kids to play with but I do reckon play school would help her immensely.

Back
Top Bottom