24-105L + Extension tubes?

Soldato
I'm wondering more about the wide end of the lens, to function as a makeshift CFWA lens as the only standalone lens that would suit would be a 15mm fisheye and those are too expensive to buy for the limited use they'd have.

I'm looking more at maybe doing a series of images similar to this:
heavenwards_by_always_downplodden-d32z368.jpg

(taken on my TZ7, but the quality isn't good enough)

I know the rough rule for magnification with extension tubes but I'm worried about vignetting. I'm not sure if the fact that the extension tube is behind the lens rather than in the image will help? There's a limit to how much vignetting I can recover.

Would a Kenko set + the 24-105 be appropriate for this kind of shot or would I need to find some other way of doing it?

Associate
Extension tubes with zooms haven't really worked for me in the past. The focus point may end up behind the front element and the working distance is tiny if you can get it ahead of the lens. I'm not sure if you've got a full-frame body or not but a 28mm with tubes may be workable.

Another option could be 'macro' filters.

Soldato
OP
Macro filters don't really work at wide angles.

Ended up deciding against the 24-105 due to money. Going with a Sigma 24 f/1.8 Macro and Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro instead (middle range is covered by my 50 1.4), which will save me money, then if I need even closer macro (unlikely) I'll have plenty of cash left over for the extension tubes, and it leaves room for more purchases elsewhere.

The 24-105 would have been a nice do-it-all but I generally don't mind swapping around lenses, and I hadn't stumbled across the Sigma 24 1.8 when I made this post.

Back
Top Bottom