Rift is only £8.49 until the 31st. Hurry

Soldato
It's fun for a dew weeks when the rifts were new and exciting and everyone took part in zone wide battles.

After the novelty wore off the rifts were an annoyance which people avoided and it was just another wow clone. Would really recomend it for the first month though!

Associate
OP
OFFER ENDS TOMORROW GUYS!
If you do end up playing the trial for a bit it's worth upgrading to the full game today or tomorrow to save yourself some money.
Have fun

It's fun for a dew weeks when the rifts were new and exciting and everyone took part in zone wide battles.

6 Months in my server is still going very strong. The Rift bosses drop decent loot and people will always need planarite. The starter zone is just as good aswell; I convinced my GF to start playing as she could never even get to the Rift bosses in time before they were killed. She always arrive 20 seconds too late and there'd be a good 20 people there that downed him.

Caporegime
Dont bother as with most MMOs these days it has less than 2 weeks content to get to max level

Low tiers are already dead and empty

instance grinding is just that. Content dumbed down so much that 1 finger retards can play

Raiding is boring and very repetitive

If you play on my server Blightweild and i can still log in, ill give you 6 plat.

Associate
Tried it, was quite good, although I didn't like the fact that you could change spec so easily. Didn't value my characters as much tbh.

But it didn't support addons so I just couldn't carry on..

Soldato
I'm impressed that those who are moaning about endgame have downed all the bosses in hammerknell! To think they have done it all and not told anybody about it (as even the top guilds in the game haven't done them all yet!). Grats guys.

Associate
OP
I'm impressed that those who are moaning about endgame have downed all the bosses in hammerknell! To think they have done it all and not told anybody about it (as even the top guilds in the game haven't done them all yet!). Grats guys.

Was thinking exactly the same thing myself :D

Bgr

Bgr

Associate
WoW - 12 Million subs
Guild Wars - 7 Million sales
Aion - over 3 Million Subs
DDO - Over 1 Million active accounts / subs
Rift =/= 2nd place.

Anything to do with MMO statistics is pure garbage these days. I dont get why people get such a massive happy over how well the games they play have sold.

The developers of Rift also havnt made this statement, nor is there any source or any actual evidence behind the claim (as it is being discussed to death here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/311869/page/1). Its just a clueless rabid fanboy posting nonsense about his favorite game on the interwebs.

Aion has nowhere near 3mil subs in the west, its probably nearer to 100k

Associate
OP

If that...

After a few months I ended up quitting Aion as my guild of over 100 went down to just me and a about 2 others. Not too mention the fact it was a massive grind (Koreans prefer grinding).

With Rift I've had the same guild for the entire 6 months and of all the guys that use mumble (90% of guild) I've not known of anyone to quit.

Associate
OP
Good news, The Rift 'Half Birthday Celebration' is going on for an extra week! (as a positive consequence of the recent earthquakes in the US)

Though I've not read any confirmation that the Rift price offer will stick for another week. I'll let you all know if I find out.

Permabanned

Ah yes, the reason it has so many players is because it doesnt actually have subs in Asia.

Proof that people in the west dont like fee based MMOs.

Associate
OP
Ah yes, the reason it has so many players is because it doesnt actually have subs in Asia.

Proof that people in the west dont like fee based MMOs.

If they don't have subs in Asia then surely that says the Asians don't like fee based mmos as opposed to Westerners.

Unless by 'fee' based mmos you are refering to f2p micro transaction mmos.

Anyway, I've never tried a f2p mmo but I played a good 400 hours of battlefield heroes and spent well over £100. They promised they'd never se items that gave players an advantage. They soon couldn't keep that promise. So for me f2p spells bad news. Micro transactions aren't the way to go. Look at how much of a cash cow the COD series has become with it's overpriced dlc packs and look at whats happened to tf2.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Anyway, I've never tried a f2p mmo but I played a good 400 hours of battlefield heroes and spent well over £100. They promised they'd never se items that gave players an advantage. They soon couldn't keep that promise. So for me f2p spells bad news. Micro transactions aren't the way to go. Look at how much of a cash cow the COD series has become with it's overpriced dlc packs and look at whats happened to tf2.

Watch and learn:

If all the MMOs you enjoy didnt have fees, just a box purchase price and no more payments required to play, would you like them any less? Fees are still far more expensive than the DLC / Expansion packs in other games, plus in fee based games like WoW, YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR EXPANSIONS AND NEW CONTENT!

You also use terrible examples. Loot at GW, and even Lotro and DDO. They havnt turned into broken pay to win games. You pay for expansions and new content only, big deal, you have to do that in every single fee based MMO too.

Dont place the blame of incompetent greedy developers on the FTP or DLC model. Microtransactions are the way to go and in the future they will become the standard for MMOs. If people simply wizened up and stopped supporting overpriced greed based models (BOTh subscription fees and Pay to win), then the developers would obviously stop using them and become more sensible.

Stop supporting games that require you to 'pay to win' if you dont like it, and that includes the fee based model. Fees are 100% unnecessary in games today, and so are pay to win items. Developers only use that to rip off the silly people that will pay for them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't think that video was very fair to be honest.

He says that, despite WoW's server costs being quite substantial, that they aren't much when divided by the number of subscribers.

Well, so what? What does that have to do with anything? If you aren't paying a sub, it doesn't matter how little per player the cost is, the fact remains that Bliz aren't covering that cost.

I don't think you can write off server and maintenance costs as nonchalantly as he did.

Back
Top Bottom