Buying a House - Internet speed important?

Soldato
I've started looking for a new house to buy, and I've found a new build that I really like.

Now its on a fibre enabled exchange BUT it may not be a upgraded CAB mainly because its not a completed estate.

my wife says im being stupid because "you can do everything you need to on 2mb and you dont need that infinity thing" but i think we do and enough to give me doubts.

Downloads im not too worried about i mean you can always wait an extra hour or even 2 even gaming can realisticaly be done on 2mb down 200k up but its really nagging me.

Any one have expereince of new build estates in an infinity area? would yuo buy a house with slow broadband?

Man of Honour
The fact it's a new build would put me off. Pay a massive premium for paper Walls, no gardens and crap designs.

As for Internet it depends what you do on it, as to what speed you need. It would be a consideration. Especially as more and more is moving online. 2mb isn't really enough for catch up tv services.

Last edited:
Soldato
2mb is enough for a lot, if not everything. Was excited to get the upgrade to 2mb a couple of years ago here and its been wonderful since. I am a very heavy user.

Soldato
I've started looking for a new house to buy, and I've found a new build that I really like.

Now its on a fibre enabled exchange BUT it may not be a upgraded CAB mainly because its not a completed estate.

my wife says im being stupid because "you can do everything you need to on 2mb and you dont need that infinity thing" but i think we do and enough to give me doubts.

Downloads im not too worried about i mean you can always wait an extra hour or even 2 even gaming can realisticaly be done on 2mb down 200k up but its really nagging me.

Any one have expereince of new build estates in an infinity area? would yuo buy a house with slow broadband?

There is no guarantee you will even get Infinity in newbuild areas, my town has just been enabled and BT never even bothered to put an Infinity Cabinet at the box which feeds a newbuild housing estate of 1000 homes (With 500 more planned), maybe since the roads arent even on google or sat navs they totally missed it out. Since its on the edge of the town they only receive 3mbish there as well via adsl2 heh.

Personally, I would never ever consider building a property in a non cabled area, nothing even comes close to Virgin.

Last edited:
Soldato
As long as it has some sort of broadband it would be the last deciding factor in deciding on purchasing a house, I can think of about a 100 things that would come before it...

Associate
I recently purchased a house on a new estate and completely overlooked the issue of broadband speed. Because all the surrounding areas are on a fibre network I'd assumed they would extend it into the new estate - not the case it seems.

Started off on 3MB which is very slow in comparison to the 20MB Virgin connection I was previously on but I've managed to deal with it. Its a major inconvenience having to wait 5 minutes for a 1080p video to buffer before you can play it but its not the end of the world. I'm still managing to use 130GB bandwidth a month so it can't be 'that' slow. That being said however the stupid line testing thing that occurs with ADSL has now set my speed to 1.8MB -.-

Personally if its a nice house in a decent area I don't think the deciding factor should be what speed internet you're going to get.

If Virgin/BT get enough requests from people in the new estate there's a possibility they might extend the network, you never know.

Associate
my wife says im being stupid because "you can do everything you need to on 2mb and you dont need that infinity thing"

She may not be so wrong tbh. IMO, I would rather fork money over to a decent ISP (in my case, IDNet) than give the Talk Talks et al my hard earned dosh for slow downs, traffic shaping, alien call centres etc etc.

I'm about 3½ miles from my exchange but have a superlative connection. My ISP gave a **** enough to listen to me and grant me a Fastpath line (as opposed to default Interleaved) on G.Dmt (more stable than ADSL2+/21CN) which gives me a solid 5.5Mbit down/1Mbit down with a 28ms gaming ping. I could probably push 7.5Mbit but higher latency etc vs QOS doesn't warrant it for me ... if I need to d/l something big, I'll do it overnight.

FTTC is coming to most anyway, check Sam out for details.

Caporegime
The fact it's a new build would put me off. Pay a massive premium for paper Walls, no gardens and crap designs.

As for Internet it depends what you doon it as to what speed you need. It would be a consideration. Especially as more and more is moving online. 2mb isn't really enough for catch up tv services.

Exactly most of the stuff built in todays age is built for profit margins rather than to build a house for space. Me and my missus bought our first house last november. Out of all the houses we viewed the modern ones were on the bottom of our list. In the end we bought a 3 bed detached built in 1970 right on the edge of town. Around 2-3km from the exchange. I still get 6mb speed but I was getting 18mb in my old flat in the center of town. It's actually a good thing tbh because I spend less time doing computer related things and more time doing other things.

Back
Top Bottom