Wildfire S - need some help please

Associate
Hi,

My wife bought a Wildfire S and for the most part loves it. What we have noticed is that if it goes into keylock, and is then unlocked, all the keys are completed unresponsive (the 'search' button is the only exception). By keys, I mean both the touch ones on the bottom and any application shortcuts. After about 3-4 seconds everything will then work. Any thoughts as a bit annoying to take your phone out your pocket and then go to send a text only to wait for 4 seconds (I know it sounds a bit pedantic, but it is really annoying)? Just to add, this is a brand new phone, she has not even setup a google account so no apps downloaded from market.

Thanks
:)

Associate
OP
Phone is locked after either being left to its own or by tapping top button. Unlock phone by touch sliding. Phone unlocked (no number/pattern lock implemented). Phone keys and also desktop shortcut completely unresponsive for 3-4 seconds.

You suggested "my tester here in front of me doesn't do this." - can you elaborate, by "tester" do you mean Wildfire S? We are trying to avoid a trip to the Orange shop unless completely necessary.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am guessing the Orange one - nope not tried changing that, will have a look now, thanks. I have a HTC Desire so relatively not a complete noob. I did search on Google and whilst a handful forums show others are having the same problem, I was unable to find a direct answer. Ideally, I just want to know if it is a Wildfire S problem, an Orange branding problem or a faulty handset.

Soldato
Orange one has Orange branded (white/orange) icons all over it and usually has a big analogue clock in the middle homescreen. App draw > Homescreen changer > set it the default Android one is the quickest way to test. If the changer is missing reply back here and I'll post the more technical method to reset preferences for it. It could be the Orange one is getting unloaded out although this is pretty rare.

Associate
OP
The one that came loaded as default was an Orange one; I changed it to the standard HTC one but still the same problem. I tried setting a pin and also a pattern lock, but the moment you swipe to make the screen active, there is a lag of about 4 seconds before you can even type the pin or swipe the pattern. Thinking we are going to return the phone as it seems like a problem. Incidentally, when she first received the phone we are sure it was not a problem, it has somehow inherited this issue.

Associate
OP
Well we switched the phone off and attempted a hard reset - but it refused to go to the boot menu. I tried repeatedly times but no joy (switch phone off, hold down volume down button and then press power). Then thought I would try after removing the battery. Interestingly, the boot menu functionality then worked, but then it failed as there was no image (to restore from) available. Anyway, parking that for a moment, the phone then booted up as normal but without the problem.

So thank you for all the assistance. I thought Id respond in case someone else has the same/similar problem. Plus it is annoying when you help someone only to never know if it sorted out the problem.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well we switched the phone off and attempted a hard reset - but it refused to go to the boot menu. I tried repeatedly times but no joy (switch phone off, hold down volume down button and then press power). Then thought I would try after removing the battery. Interestingly, the boot menu functionality then worked, but then it failed as there was no image (to restore from) available.

What? That's not a factory reset :rolleyes:

I've used a few Wildfire S and they are very underpowered. Is this just not a case of the device being generally slow?

Soldato
I think he means your terminology :) . In Android all the user data (apps, settings, etc...) is held in a separate folder to the OS and a system reset just wipes it. There's no "image" as such when doing a factory reset, that's a separate feature of the bootloader that's reserved for more technical uses like full scale recovery.

It's unlikely to be the speed of the CPU that's the problem as this particular CPU is in other phones that doesn't take 4 seconds to restore.

Back
Top Bottom