Police should commute in uniform

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Er, yes, I think your right. I should probably have used the word 'responsibility' instead. Either these officers are going to be expected to involve themselves in trouble with no backup - something I'd expect their superiors to rightly tell them not to do - or you're going to get uniformed police officers visibly turning a blind eye to crime.

Doesn't this sort of assume that off duty police officers just ignore crime if they happen to be out of uniform when they see it?

Associate
Also the London Police officers recieve £5000 worth of travel perks to get around the city for free, if using public transport.

Actually they get free travel on the Tube across the board. For overland train travel they have to opt in to the ATOC (Assosciation of Train Operating Companies) travel scheme which covers a good portion north of the city and all of the south east. 33k out of 35k Officers did this year. They pay a couple of hundred pounds to cover the tax the government levies on the Met for the perk and get a small card issued to them which they must carry on all journeys. I know because I worked on the project launch. For some Officers this could mean a saving of a few hundred pounds. The most I heard about someone saving overland was 4 grand. It all depends on where you live. It's a great perk no matter what wage you are on. (BTW a 10 year PC would earn around 37-40k not counting any overtime)

On the Tube or overland the companies involved offer the perk on the condition that Officers travelling step in if they come across any incident. That said, they are trained to conduct a risk assesment as a first step.

I've commuted (train and tube and the odd bus) for the best part of 25 years and I've seen 3 incidents which would have warranted someone stepping in. Having said that, if I was a copper these days, I probably wouldn't want to without the PPE gear. I wouldn't be hugely in favour of overt travel. Although they are morally obliged I think they are entitled to a normal life outside work hours (as much as possible), the same as anyone else.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
The Times said:
The Metropolitan Police is facing Whitehall pressure over the cost of [a] perk, which enables its 31,000 officers to travel up to 50 miles (80km) beyond London without having to buy a ticket, even if they are off duty. Officers just show their warrant cards to inspectors.
From friends in London, I gather that the fare-dodging Police are still allowed through the barriers on London Underground on production of their identification - it would be a nice idea if this were ONLY to apply if they were in uniform :)

Pug

Pug

Soldato
well the private sector have been doing that for the past 5 years, effectively. No cost of living increases, some reductions in wages so yes, thats exactly what i have done.

But the sentiment of my posts isn't actually cut their pay, its "lets not abuse them as free/cheap labour". If you read my post on the previous page you'll see that. I went on to say if we need the extra police we should hire them. The cut-pay comment was a tongue in cheek response to the ludicrous comment about having no money. If commuting in uniform has a similar effect to employing extra police give the officer the option of doing that, oir pay them a 75% reduced hourly rate for doing so.

Last edited:
Soldato
well the private sector have been doing that for the past 5 years, effectively. No cost of living increases, some reductions in wages so yes, thats exactly what i have done.

More fool you. I certainly wouldn't be agreeing to an increased workload without an increased compensation package.

But, I agree, if we need more Police then we should employ them. What we definitely shouldn't be doing in punishing existing staff for not working outside of their contracted hours.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
More fool me? I wouldn't worry too much about me :p doing just fine with my quarterly commission cheques!

Cost of living increases, below the rate of inflation, are more common now than they have ever been, and are an effectual pay drop. I doubt i'd get an equivalent package in the public sector, aside from the excellent pensions.

Soldato
More fool me? I wouldn't worry too much about me :p doing just fine with my quarterly commission cheques!

Good good, as am I :) I just thought you might be one of these people who doesn't negotiate an increase in base salary to reflect the increase in living.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

What do you disagree with exactly and I'll elaborate?

It's not really a choice is it?

That's like me asking if you'd prefer your arm or you leg to be cut off. I should expect the answer would be "none, if it all the same to you thanks!".

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
They would then have to be paid for their commute, which would cost quite a lot.

Also you are NOT going to have a lot of happy bobbies on the tube in the summer when temperatures reach above the temperature you are legally allowed to transport cattle at.

Associate
From friends in London, I gather that the fare-dodging Police are still allowed through the barriers on London Underground on production of their identification - it would be a nice idea if this were ONLY to apply if they were in uniform :)

Nope, we have to pay monthly for this now. It isn't a free perk anymore.

As for the idea of wearing uniform to and from work - It won't happen. It's far too dangerous especially if we're expected to do it without personal protection equipment. You might get away with it in some close-knit community hidden away in rural England but as for inner-city policing it's too much of a risk, especially in the current climate.

Another bizzare idea to be ignored.

Permabanned
Always thought this myself. Personally if a police officer is getting benifits for travel then it's not much to ask to myself themselves present. Preventative measures are always better!

Back
Top Bottom