Just been demoted in my work place :( Need Advice

Soldato
To cut a long story short I have been a PC engineer for 8 years in this company, I get managers asking me to perform data recoveries for customers failing pcs, however they cannot provide me with a hard drive or software to do it its a bit of a grey area that! Managers would fail an Audit, so I use my own software/equiptment.

And well a Manager caught me with my own personal hdd with customers data on it upon leaving the store....

I had a Disciplinery and I was demoted in rank and put on junior grade and had my wages cut to half effectivly, currently trying to appeal it but have spoken to dozens of people and not having much luck !

Trade unions wont bother since you need to be a member before the incident or at least a member for 3 months!

Citizens Advise center take 2-3 weeks for a appointment and only open for 2hrs a day lol, Im trying to book an appointment anyhow....

I had some glimmer of hope another Manager of another store advised me no manager in the work place can demote you, its not part of the legal disciplinery process? and I should have been given a warning and option to improve my work conduct but he is unable to confirm this...

Any advise would be welcome, cheers !

Associate
It is no grey area. They either provide you with the hardware/software or tools to do your job, or they provide you with the ability to source the stuff. If they cannot do that then they cannot reasonably expect you to do your job.

If indeed that is your job. If its outside of your remit, tell them you cannot do it. They will have to figure out something in their schizophrenic behavior.

Permabanned
Doesn't really sound like they know what they're doing at all. It would have been sensible for you to outline to them that you do use your own software and hardware for the tasks they ask you to do because they haven't provided you with the suitable tools for your job.

Soldato
8 years fixing PC's?

I assume you are on 25k +?

if not get another job or start your own company doing the same thing..

Soldato
How did you manager "catch you"? How does he know what data is on your personal drive? Did he just randomly ask to search it on your way out?

Permabanned
They either provide you with the hardware/software or tools to do your job, or they provide you with the ability to source the stuff. If they cannot do that then they cannot reasonably expect you to do your job.

Simple as that

I would be raging and DEMAND to talk to that ******* boss of yours.

Man of Honour
As Ahleckz has pointed out, the procedures should be in your contract of employment.

I would certainly argue against being demoted without following proper procedure. How big is the company you work for?

I do think you were a little, naive let's say, doing it off your own back. Especially when you were leaving site with the data.

Man of Honour
They either provide you with the hardware/software or tools to do your job, or they provide you with the ability to source the stuff. If they cannot do that then they cannot reasonably expect you to do your job.

Bit late for that now.

Did they know you were using your own stuff? Did you specifically tell them?
I think you really need professional help.

Also ask round the union even though they won't help you per say. Many good reps will chat to you of the books and offer you advice.

Soldato
Usually demotion is done by making your position redundant, and then offering you the job at the lower wage. I'm not sure they can just demote you/reduce your pay. :/

Man of Honour
Usually demotion is done by making your position redundant, and then offering you the job at the lower wage. I'm not sure they can just demote you/reduce your pay. :/

Happens all the time in my industry. When you have had a disciplinary and you can no longer perform certain duties. Either demotion or you walk. So I can't see it being illegal.

Soldato
OP
Yes the managers were aware I use my own software/hardware to complete there customer issues, they were aware I do it my way. They would proberly deny it to save there own jobs however....

The company in question is full of purple shirts...

Situation original arose when they caught another engineer who was using my hdd (which has tools to complete healthchecks and other jobs) and so he was using it while I was off on holiday and he left the building and they then checked him and found my hdd.... he got suspended, but I then confirmed its my own hdd and he was given a option to read the "data protection and company handbook" and back to work as normal.

My company handbook does state obviously what Ive done is not correct, but its the circumstances surrounding it. Yes totaly naive to carry it out but I have been for past 8 years anyhow without issue.... I have had 3-4 managers instore requesting me to do data recoveries instore on a weekly basis.

The only thing I see online is ACAS disciplinery guide lines, but it is not clear if a Manager within any company can simply demote you and take away 8 years of hard work and promotion ?

Man of Honour
Yes the managers were aware I use my own software/hardware to complete there customer issues, they were aware I do it my way. They would proberly deny it to save there own jobs however....

This is the problem I learnt recently as well. Fight for all your worth and learn to get things in writing Nd if they refuse to put it in writing, refuse to do the job. Saves so much hassle and stress. mines been going on for over 10months but still under investigation although I can know actually do proper work again. Don't really want to add details as it's still ongoing. Wouldn't help you anyway different situation.

But fight it for all it's worth and don't be scared to bypass people and go directly a few links up the chain. But also try and follow procedures.

But as said I think your real problem will be not using your own stuff, even though that's almost certainly against policy. But removing data from site. Due to that book that CAB appointment up.

Last edited:
Soldato
You have breached Data protecton laws unfortunately, though being demoted sounds very wrong. If anything they should have sacked you.

I can only advise going to see the CAB.

Back
Top Bottom