Becoming a electrican/plumber?

Associate
Hi there,

Like many others, I'm still looking for a career, while I've been applying everywhere and still not sure what I want to do, I have looked into becoming an electrican or plumber. I have contacts in the area through family who all say its a good place to be as there is demand.

A bit about myself, I'm 22 and a graduate in business so could this hinder my applications?

Also where would I apply? I've been looking at courses such as the ones below -

http://www.ableskills.co.uk/

But would it be better to train with a company?

Anyhelp would be great, thanks.

Associate
Being a plumber or electrician is always a great career option. The plumbers in London can easily earn £40k pa, as there is always demand.

My missus used to be a sparky, and she made great money.

The only problem might come from being self employed really, as you have no sick pay/holidays paid for, but the wages mean that you should always be afloat really.

If there is running water/lighting anywhere, there is a demand.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, sounds good!

How would one go about becoming qualified? How did your wife get into the area if you don't mind me asking?

Associate
OP
Also in regards to plumbing, my local jobcenter said that they will support me if I did a plumbing course, but not a electrical one. Any idea as to why?

Associate
For Electrical - Look into local colleges who do the City & Guilds Level 3 in Electrical Engineering. You may have to do Level 2 first, not sure how it works now. You would also have to complete a NVQ Logbook which is based on site which consists of a checklist and evidence of completeing various works i.e - Various types of metalwork, different types of cabling and of course... Health & Safety.

Back
Top Bottom