Sexual harrassment and intimidation in the workplace

Soldato
True. It would make quite an interesting headline and detract quite significantly from the image the company tries to portray. There is far more than the harrassment side of things too such as the way the branch is run that would add to the case but if she decides to go ahead with this through HR would i be right in thinking that including such things would detract from her core complaint?

I will link her to see opinions here, I'd given my thoughts on the situation but its nice to see others agreeing that its entirely out of order and how to go about taking it further. Comments much appreciated so far but any input still welcome!

Yes exclude anything remotely irrelevant, stick purely to the issue at hand and the facts, where possible. Make it clear you want HR to investigate - not local management.

Make it clear what you expect to happen as a result of the complaint, and subtly hint at what could happen if it's not resolved - but don't threaten yet.

If it's not sorted VERY quickly then escalate the complaint and you're then well within your rights to be far more assertive.

I really would expect any large company to send to culprit home the same day (rightly or wrongly) on full pay. Then investigate. Then they will get unsuspended or sacked depending on what they come up with.

If any meetings are arranged about it she should take someone in with her to observe, if she can. Usually this would be a union rep. One of those would come in very handy!

I'm not expert on HR in the slightest but used to work in high level complaints, and this is the sort of approach I would take with my HLC head on. But please ask her to speak to CAB or someone who really knows what they are on about.

Associate
Defiantly record whats going on, that almost makes me sick to my stomach to think what that woman has to go through from these "animals".

Record it, take it to court and get a massive settlement.

Last edited:
Soldato
just a heads up that not all Muslim pakistani men do this, I know many of the ocuk bnp chav brigade will love to support that statement.
Agreed, but it's by no means uncommon.

She needs evidence and then report it too the police. Who is her manager’s boss?

What ever she dose she’s not going to be working there much longer.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why would you work somewhere where you're being sexually harassed? Is she afraid of what he'll do if she leaves? Or does she enjoy the attention/being the victim perhaps?

This is explained in my OP :)

I think recording is definately on the cards then after reading what several people have had to say. Seems that could definately provide pretty conclusive, usable evidence and is simple enough to do on a phone either inconspiciously or otherwise.

HighlandeR, Pants and others: thanks for the very useful posts!

I'm not sure whether hidden cameras would be viable given the environment in all honesty - she does move around between a few different locations within the same building. Can anyone suggest something usable - any super high capacity cameras that could last a day at a time or longer that she could potentially position at the most common location?

churchhawk said:
Definatly record whats going on, that almost makes me sick to my stomach to think what that woman has to go through from these "animals".

It's disgusting really. To think that some people actually think this sort of behaviour is acceptable! It makes me really frustrated - knowing what is going on - the ins and outs of it and being unable to just stop it. Makes it a lot more personal compared to when you hear about this sort of thing on the news or in a paper or something.

Soldato
Six6six, I really hope it isn't getting her down. This sounds terrible and is the kind of thing that takes over your life. My only advice would be to gather as much evidence as possible (while staying the perfect employee) and then nail them to the wall. If it really is all one big boy's club and she gets nowhere then at least she can always leave and get her life back.

If she doesn't get anywhere then try the police, or Hell, a newspaper. I bet the Daily Mail would love it! ;)

I would say that she needs to be careful that things don't go too far as these 'men' sound really dodgy. Do they do it to all the women that work there?

Anyway, wish her luck :D

Soldato
All the people involved are Muslim and Pakistani and as such appear to stick together.

Can't say i'm at all surprised by this sort of backwards behaviour.

Record what they're doing and take it to the police, hopefully they'll get locked up or better yet, deported.

Soldato
OP
Do they do it to all the women that work there?

There are only maybe two or three females that work there at the moment. I'm not sure about things at present but other previous female staff members have apparently left because of similar problems (according to a other employees).

Has she checked the official procedure(s) in her staff handbook/contract?

The procedures are all on the company HR/Intranet - she has a document confirming her employment/job role etc but even this is a template - the manager has signed it etc but the details are clearly not filled in correctly. For example, where it should say his name at the bottom near the signature space, it just says [NAME]. This happens a couple of other times in the letter for other information that should be filled in. Nice and professional, as you can see :rolleyes:

The roles are pretty generic in a sense so I don't believe there is a specific contract written out. I can double check this though.

Out of interest, what company is this?

I don't think naming the company would be wise at this stage.

Commissario
Stop asking for pictures guys, this thread is clearly of a sensative nature and not helping!

I think she should try and find a contact for someone higher up the company that she can discuss this issue with in confidentiality.

Soldato
Stop asking for pictures guys, this thread is clearly of a sensative nature and not helping!

When did GD go all serious?

I mean, I know I haven't posted much on OcUK for the past few months, but GD is still GD surely ... which means that after a few posts it always turns into something silly

Back
Top Bottom