NTFS and Linux

Associate
Hi People,

First time ever posting in this forum so I hope you go easy on me :p

I have just installed RedHat Linux 8.0 and must say it is the best distribution of linux i have come across clean and simple.

The problem I have is can I access NTFS partitions from it, if so how do I mount the drive, please note I am a rookie at this. kinda thing.

Cheers

Mr B.

Suspended
Mount it using mount -o ro /dev/hdx /mnt/ntfs*

Where x is the disk with the NTFS partition on.

That'll do it read-only, so you don't accidently shaft the filesystem.

* Name/place the mount point whatever/wherever you feel like.

Suspended
Obviously not, but I'm not going to tell him to recompile it 5 seconds after you told him the same thing, am I? :)

May aswell contain all the info in this thread, rather than bringing it up again after he has NTFS support.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Originally posted by Nozzer
Obviously not, but I'm not going to tell him to recompile it 5 seconds after you told him the same thing, am I? :)

May aswell contain all the info in this thread, rather than bringing it up again after he has NTFS support.

Now ladies put the handbags down :p

I want to learn about Linux, cause by the looks of things it ain't going to go away, so I will recompile the Kernel.

Cheers Guys (or is it ladies)

Associate
I disagree, in the nicest way, most people who want to use Linux won't need to re-compile their kernel. In fact until I needed to use IPSec and also needed to do some tweaking on my laptop I had never re-compiled my kernel.

The stock kernel, IMHO, is good enough for most people. OK if you want a lean, mean speed deamon (pun intended!!) machine then recompile with only the bare minimum, but if you are happy with what you have, stay with it.

I does have to be said though that NTFS support is not supplied compiled in with the current kernels as it is still in development, and the writing to NTFS volumes is decribed as VERY DANGEROUS (the kernel maintainers CAPS, not mine!!!)

ZuG

ZuG

Associate
i recompiled the kernel and it was such a disaster, problems after problems until my only choice was to do a clean format. :( that was in my first week and i wouldnt recommend it to anybody else whos just started. On the other hand i did learn a lot, but most people would just say ahh screw it and never use linux again.

Back
Top Bottom