Price of the 360 vs the PS3

Soldato
The 20gig launch PS3 was £425 without a HD cable and Sony recommended people get a second job for it.

Yeah, Sony are a philanthropic organisation unlike MS who are evil capitalists.

How dare they charge you £425 for something they make for £600. THE SCANDAL!

And the HD cable debate is long and dead. a) the majority didnt have HD tvs when the HD twins came out and b) they wanted you to blow $30 on an official one instead of suppling EVERYONe with one and only 10% actually needing one.

Soldato
Got the InFamous 2 PS3(250GB) pack 2 weeks ago, for £205.

To answer your question. Yes Microsoft are getting too greedy... a leopard never changes its spots.

As a side note, the PS3 is MUCH slicker then the 360, much better built and the blu-ray player is good. Also games that come on 4 discs for the 360 come on 1 disc for the PS3, much more convienient.

In a nutshell, its a much better console, but they could do with improving the interface a tad.

Soldato
How dare they charge you £425 for something they make for £600. THE SCANDAL!

And the HD cable debate is long and dead. a) the majority didnt have HD tvs when the HD twins came out and b) they wanted you to blow $30 on an official one instead of suppling EVERYONe with one and only 10% actually needing one.

lol well guess not everyone understands economics. Sony wanted that blu ray drive in the PS3, its perhaps been one of the biggest life savers for the whole PS3 console as no doubt without it I’m sure not so many of the machines would have been sold by now.

Sony have a good track record of giving, but they also take and are equally out to make money, they just aren’t as blatant as MS in the way they go about doing it. Sony are more blatant with copying and making something their own from existing tech, then being innovating such as MS, like the kinect.

MS does try to set the trend, but sure make it worth their while and know how to charge gamers. Sony tend to be followers but reward loyalty. However they have pulled a few stunts in the past that hasn’t always looked favourable upon them.

PS3 linux support anyone? Shock controllers without erm shock as motion axis was better? Not forgetting the numorous court cases Sony has had since even the first Playsation.. Sure Nintendo aren’t as keen to see Sony succeed, although to be fair the Playstation wouldn’t were it is today without Nintendo doing what they did in the early 1990s..

Basically, each company are out to make money, and how they do it is up to them, the 360 is a very popular games console with a paid for online service, the PS3 is equally a great console with a free network and plenty to offer over a 360 for very little extra outlay, whereas with a 360 you do tend to end up paying a lot extra in the long run.

We’ve had this debate time and time again…. If I’ve got something wrong, someone please correct me.

Soldato
pound for pound, we all know the PS3 is a better deal in terms of hardware.

Games and software is different story.

Both offer something for everyone I would say. Hardware PS3 is a better deal, software - well. Depends on what you want to play, or even do with your games console.

PSN has some nice little titles, live arcade does as well. PS3 has some rather nice TV playback features, live has a rather decent sky player.

Each has their own little thing and games that you can't get on one or the other console.

Soldato
OP
The 20gig launch PS3 was £425 without a HD cable and Sony recommended people get a second job for it.

Yeah, Sony are a philanthropic organisation unlike MS who are evil capitalists.

They also designed the PS3 to allow all previous PS2 owners who had invested in a component cable, to go-ahead and use that.. Since my TV was only 720p at the time, I didn't bother with an HDMI and just used my older PS2 HD component cable. They could have easily made the port slightly different so everyone would have to shell out for a new cable altogether, adding another $20 on top of an already expensive unit.

As for comments on economics. Of course I know everyone is out to make money. The bottom line is, if you trace it back to the decision makers, up at the board level, you have a bunch of greedy crooks, and a bunch of more decent individuals, making those decisions that come back down to us the consumer, at a cost to them, because the competition isn't doing it.

Sometimes though, you catch more bee's with honey than you do vinegar.

I as the perfect example. Went in to buy a 360, and came out (well not yet, cos i'm getting it online :D ) with a PS3....

So next time when a multi format game comes out, say Fifa12, do you think I'm going to get it on the 360 ? or the PS3? More money to who now?

Anyone with a brain should be able to tell the PS3 is better value / choice overall, pound for pound. However the decision of the potential soon to buy a console casual gamer is being marred by the opinion of the army of fanboys, whom have an incessent belief that the 360 is better, no matter what. I was in a store, and the fat geek sales person, was telling a mother, oh the 360 is the much better choice, that's why it's more expensive.

Nor

Nor

Associate
Pretty sure I saw the slim for £99 the other week somewhere. I still have an old 120GB Elite. Wish I had picked up the slim as no doubt BF3 will kill my old beast :D

Soldato
Did you just call Sony decent individuals?

fanboys out in force i see.

Sony didn't make billions for being decent people, they made billions for making high quality electrical equipment, like the PS3.

I only use my 360 for Poker now, but will be getting Tales of Vesparia off the market place once I've explored every inch of Fallout Vegas.

The interface on the 360 is much better then the PS3, and it seems more stable on the network connection front.

Soldato
Now the price points are so similar it just seems like a no brainer which to opt for if someone who owns a gaming PC wants to investigate consoles now. But then, you all know which console i prefer so bias is probably a large factor in this view :p

The interface on the 360 is much better then the PS3

Puh!? I feel the 360 has many merits, but i'd say the quality of the interface is certainly not firmly in the 360's favour as would many others it seems from previous debate in these forums.

You're right though, the PS3 wireless connectivity is a bit naff with the fats.

Last edited:
Soldato
lol well guess not everyone understands economics. Sony wanted that blu ray drive in the PS3, its perhaps been one of the biggest life savers for the whole PS3 console as no doubt without it I’m sure not so many of the machines would have been sold by now.

I honestly don't see it being that easy to call. With no blu ray the PS3 would have come in MUCH cheaper and earlier. The delays were caused by a lack of blu ray diodes and a lack of final blu ray spec. A PS3 with just DVD capability would have quite possibly launched at the same time and at a similar price point to the 360. Since the price has always been THE major stickler for anyone wanting a console it's held the PS3 back immeasurably. Had they not pushed for their new HD format, Sony could well have trampled all over Microsoft again. Probably not Nintendo though simply because of the price.

They needed it in though and it won them and their partners the format war. For their sakes I hope it was worth the years of ridiculous losses that it cost them.

The 360 however shows that for this generation of games at least, BluRay was not essential. Perhaps on the next go around it might be more beneficial with larger textures and so on.

Sony have a good track record of giving, but they also take and are equally out to make money, they just aren’t as blatant as MS in the way they go about doing it. Sony are more blatant with copying and making something their own from existing tech, then being innovating such as MS, like the kinect.

MS does try to set the trend, but sure make it worth their while and know how to charge gamers. Sony tend to be followers but reward loyalty. However they have pulled a few stunts in the past that hasn’t always looked favourable upon them.

PS3 linux support anyone? Shock controllers without erm shock as motion axis was better? Not forgetting the numorous court cases Sony has had since even the first Playsation.. Sure Nintendo aren’t as keen to see Sony succeed, although to be fair the Playstation wouldn’t were it is today without Nintendo doing what they did in the early 1990s..

Basically, each company are out to make money, and how they do it is up to them, the 360 is a very popular games console with a paid for online service, the PS3 is equally a great console with a free network and plenty to offer over a 360 for very little extra outlay, whereas with a 360 you do tend to end up paying a lot extra in the long run.

We’ve had this debate time and time again…. If I’ve got something wrong, someone please correct me.

Couldn't agree more. Just like Sony have had their issues with the PSN hack and the linux support being pulled (though honestly I can understand it, even if it wasn't liked by a real minority), Microsoft have had issues with the RROD fiasco and Nintendo have had issues with a heavily lacking 3rd party support. Anecdotally there are 7 PS3s, 2 360s and 3 Wiis in my immediate family and friends. The Wii's days of usage in the last 12 months combined can be counted on my fingers and toes. That's not the case with the 360 and the PS3. Its something which could bite Nintendo when the Wii U finally drops and people think "Well I didn't really play the last one"

All three are out to get as much money from you as they can, It does APPEAR to a fair chunk of people however that Sony give more for your money than either Microsoft or Nintendo. Partly marketing and partly being better at disguising where they are making their money.

Soldato
Puh!? I feel the 360 has many merits, but i'd say the quality of the interface is certainly not firmly in the 360's favour as would many others it seems from previous debate in these forums.

Agreed, the 360 interface is a bit poor. Takes too long to navigate around, not helped by the fact that they throw so much content/advertising at you at all times, and it's lacking in polish; the navigation/confirmation sounds skip or get cut off regularly, and text looks terrible at 1080p. I use my PS3 more for media than games at the moment, and its interface is far more befitting for that role.

Soldato
Agreed, the 360 interface is a bit poor. Takes too long to navigate around, not helped by the fact that they throw so much content/advertising at you at all times, and it's lacking in polish; the navigation/confirmation sounds skip or get cut off regularly, and text looks terrible at 1080p. I use my PS3 more for media than games at the moment, and its interface is far more befitting for that role.

I prefer the 360's interface over the PS3's :(
My PS3 (before i sold it) and now my Sony BR make my brain hurt trying to navigate .. too minimal for me.

Caporegime
I prefer the 360's too, might be just because I'm more used to it.

But for example with iplayer on PS3, it took me 10 minutes and a google to work out how to the exit the damn thing because it uses a different method than normally used. It's mentioned as a problem on wikipedia so it clearly isn't just me!!

Or last night I was trying to play Wipeout HD with a friend and he was sending me an invite and the message had no option to accept it :confused: Just let me reply with a message. In the end we had to host a game and then me find it in the list. Just little shoddy things like that let it down imo.

Soldato

I agree. I much prefer the PS3 XMB to the 360 NXE. I still sometimes struggle to find things on my 360 but never have any problems on my PS3.

Caporegime
But for example with iplayer on PS3, it took me 10 minutes and a google to work out how to the exit the damn thing because it uses a different method than normally used. It's mentioned as a problem on wikipedia so it clearly isn't just me!!

I just press the Playstation button on my controller and go to quit... :p

Caporegime
The other thing that annoys me about the PS3 interface is settings, some of them are in the settings section but others are accessed by pressing triangle on certain bits of the XMB. It's inconsistent. Like when I was trying to find the option for auto sign in on an account, I would expect it to be in a user settings section (as there seems to be a settings section for nearly everything else) but it isn't.

Soldato
As people have said, the recent price drop has skewed the value propsition somewhat. At the end of the day people will argue Xbox vs PS3 until their blue in the face. Essentially it comes down to the titles you want so base it on that rather than some rather insignificant £30 yearly saving you might/might not make.

Caporegime
The other thing that annoys me about the PS3 interface is settings, some of them are in the settings section but others are accessed by pressing triangle on certain bits of the XMB. It's inconsistent. Like when I was trying to find the option for auto sign in on an account, I would expect it to be in a user settings section (as there seems to be a settings section for nearly everything else) but it isn't.

Fair enough. I find both the XMB and the NXE easy to navigate. I dare say I slightly prefer the minimalistic nature of the XMB, the NXE looks a little bit Fisher Price and it does tend to have a lot of intrusive adverts though sometimes these did actually alert me to games/movies I was interested in.

Back
Top Bottom