Getting an out of warranty repair under the Sale of Goods act.

Soldato
My girlfriend bought an iPhone 3gs just under 2 years ago and it has recently stopped working. I've tried restoring it on a few computers with no luck, and the install log mentions a problem with the modem. I tried taking the phone in to the store today and was told I'd need to pay £140 for a replacement as the 1 year warranty has expired.

I told the guy that I wasn't happy with that as I thought it was unreasonable for the phone to not even last 2 years. I mentioned that the Sale of Goods act said that an item should last a reasonable amount of time and you can buy the phone on a 2 year contract so I would expect it to last at least that long.

He said there wasn't anything he could do and has given me a number to phone to speak to Apple's legal team. Also if I wish to process a small claims complaint then the only number to call is one in America - this seems unreasonable to me as it would probably mean me ending up with huge phone bills.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation in the past and what the outcome was? I'm rather annoyed with the response I got as it feels like I have just been fobbed off, it seems ludicrous to just accept that a £440 phone is only expected to last a year.

Soldato
Wrong and wrong.

You need to send a Letter Before Action to the retailer it was purchased from. This needs to outline your complaint and what you would like doing about it. Be firm, but polite. Also give them 14 days to respond, and state this in the letter.

If they still refuse to help, you need to issue Small Claims action against the retailer for the value of the goods. Once they receive this, they will fold and offer to replace as in court they would lose, without a doubt.

Remember, your contract is with the retailer and NOT Apple unless it was bought from them!

Man of Honour
The problem is that reasonable time (up to 6 years in England and 5 in Scotland.
Does not cover fair wear and tear and it's unto the Customer to prove that the fault was present at time of manufacture. Companies are also unwilling to just bend over for this as it would open up a hole can of worms for them.
The only real way is through small claims court, but even then I don't see how you can win, unless it is a very common problem with the product.

Anyway interesting article here on it, might give you a better idea of what's what.
http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/wor...es-us-6-years-to-claim-for-faulty-appliances/

Soldato
The problem is that reasonable time (up to 6 years in England and 5 in Scotland.
Does not cover fair wear and tear and it's unto the Customer to prove that the fault was present at time of manufacture. Companies are also unwilling to just bend over for this as it would open up a hole can of worms for them.
The only real way is through small claims court, but even then I don't see how you can win, unless it is a very common problem with the product.

Anyway interesting article here on it, might give you a better idea of what's what.
http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/wor...es-us-6-years-to-claim-for-faulty-appliances/

If they refuse to help when he issues an LBA, then an independent report from a reputable phone shop would usually be enough evidence for the court.

All they want to see is a report outlining the fault, and that it is not fair wear and tear. The fault the OP is reporting is not fair wear and tear.

Also, the law also states goods must be of reasonable quality, and last a reasonable length of time. It doesn't seem like this product has conformed to either of these requirements.

Man of Honour
That depends how and why it broke, which is very hard to prove on electrical equipment. I have no doubt it is not as easy as you say.

Soldato
If it was bought on a 2 year contract and packs up before that contract ends then surely he has a case?
Contract has nothing to do with it, a contract is essentially paying for the product as I'm sure you know but is not associated with the device.

That depends how and why it broke, which is very hard to prove on electrical equipment. I have no doubt it is not as easy as you say.
It is, but usually a report stating the device is beyond repair and has a fault that has not been caused by the end user is enough. The company I'm now associated with writes such reports, and once the retailer gets wind they're facing quite a legal battle they will back down.

It's all about loss prevention, a retailer will lose quite a lot if they defend and then lose. It's usually easier for them to replace the handset.

Associate
Contract has nothing to do with it, a contract is essentially paying for the product as I'm sure you know but is not associated with the device.

Given the handset was provided as part of the contract then it is entirely reasonable to expect it to last as long as the minimum term of the contract. (Subject to fair wear and tear, not misuse or mistreatment...)

Soldato
Given the handset was provided as part of the contract then it is entirely reasonable to expect it to last as long as the minimum term of the contract. (Subject to fair wear and tear, not misuse or mistreatment...)

Strictly speaking the phone was free, they give it as a 'gift' when you purchase a service contract.

Everyone knows the contract covers the cost of the phone, but by doing this they avoid this exact issue. It's also why you get to keep the phone if the contract is canceled for whatever reason.

Soldato
OP
Sorry if I wasn't too clear in the first post, the phone wasn't bought on a contract - it was bought outright. That was just the example I gave in the shop as to how long I'd expect it to last at a minimum.

Wrong and wrong.

You need to send a Letter Before Action to the retailer it was purchased from. This needs to outline your complaint and what you would like doing about it. Be firm, but polite. Also give them 14 days to respond, and state this in the letter.

If they still refuse to help, you need to issue Small Claims action against the retailer for the value of the goods. Once they receive this, they will fold and offer to replace as in court they would lose, without a doubt.

Remember, your contract is with the retailer and NOT Apple unless it was bought from them!

The phone was purchased from apple. I was given a technical support number as well, which I will give a go on Monday but I'm not holding out much hope for that being any use as it mentioned that I may have to pay for per incident support.

Try emailing their support/head of department explaining the situation and that you're not happy?

I've found this way to be the better way for replacements/repairs with any company.

I would do this as well but I can't seem to find any email addresses on their website.

Interesting link, I would try and argue that the fault is down to a lack of durability rather than wear and tear, as the install log appears to suggest it is a hardware problem as the modem no longer works. From the link you provided this should be covered under the Sale of Goods act:

“There needs to be a fault that was present on the day of sale even though it only became apparent later on, or a mis-description of the goods, or a lack of durability that suggests the goods were not of satisfactory quality to start with”.

Man of Honour
. The company I'm now associated with writes such reports, and once the retailer gets wind they're facing quite a legal battle they will back down.

You know how much by any chance?

My worry would be the law is very vague, comp ies have legal might and would want to fight and you can end up paying bills (albeit it limited) but still a lot of money for an individual if you lose and Jude decides they can claim.

Although as you say they may well want to keep it out the court, so no legal ruling occurs.

Man of Honour
Given the handset was provided as part of the contract

Except it wasn't - the contract will specifically stated the handset is supplied outside of the terms of the contract. This is why you don't need to return it if you terminate early due to a change in T&C's or whatever

Soldato
OP

It is, but usually a report stating the device is beyond repair and has a fault that has not been caused by the end user is enough. The company I'm now associated with writes such reports, and once the retailer gets wind they're facing quite a legal battle they will back down.

It's all about loss prevention, a retailer will lose quite a lot if they defend and then lose. It's usually easier for them to replace the handset.

Do you know what the typical cost for these reports would be? I was hoping that Apple would have agreed to take the phone and have a look at it to determine the cause of the fault, and then take it from there. As it is though they didn't even take the phone out the box to look at it!

Man of Honour
Interesting link, I would try and argue that the fault is down to a lack of durability rather than wear and tear, as the install log appears to suggest it is a hardware problem as the modem no longer works. From the link you provided this should be covered under the Sale of Goods act:

“There needs to be a fault that was present on the day of sale even though it only became apparent later on, or a mis-description of the goods, or a lack of durability that suggests the goods were not of satisfactory quality to start with”.

You can't just say it you need evidence, as said you can take it to an engineer and get a report.

Although maybe worth looking at apple uk website and following their complaint procedure and say that if this is not rectified, I will take you to court with what ever one of these engineering reports are called.

Back
Top Bottom