Getting an out of warranty repair under the Sale of Goods act.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;20040774 said:
Except it wasn't - the contract will specifically stated the handset is supplied outside of the terms of the contract. This is why you don't need to return it if you terminate early due to a change in T&C's or whatever

Sorry I wasn't clear in the first post - the phone was bought outright for £440 with a pay as you go sim card.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;20040811 said:
So what relevence to your case does the 24 month contract have?
I mentioned it as the sale of goods act only says that an item should last for a reasonable time, rather than any exact figures. I mentioned that as the phone is available on a 24 month contract I would expect the phone to last at least that long.

Soldato
As stated contract has no relevance at all - if you buy it on Pay As You Go or on contract you have the same rights, and a court would see either in the same way.

Reports are usually between £25 and £50 depending where you get one, however this is claimed back when you win.

To be honest at less than 2 years old it is when you win and not if - I've not heard of one being struck out or winning on the side of the retailer.

Soldato
To be honest, there isn't really much to it. As I'm now a Limited Company I suppose it's something I could look into, but you need to of course make sure the diagnosis is correct.

It's all down to both opinion and knowledge at the end of the day - but I know I would expect a phone at £400+ to last more than a year. A court would probably say between 2 and 3 years is reasonable, for goods such as laptops this is usually 3 years, and white good usually get 4-5 years.

It all depends on the device.

Associate
[TW]Fox;20040774 said:
Except it wasn't - the contract will specifically stated the handset is supplied outside of the terms of the contract. This is why you don't need to return it if you terminate early due to a change in T&C's or whatever

Then why do you have to return the handset if you cancel the contract within the first 7 days, say under the distance selling regulations?

Soldato
OP
As stated contract has no relevance at all - if you buy it on Pay As You Go or on contract you have the same rights, and a court would see either in the same way.

Reports are usually between £25 and £50 depending where you get one, however this is claimed back when you win.

To be honest at less than 2 years old it is when you win and not if - I've not heard of one being struck out or winning on the side of the retailer.
Do the reports have a specific name? Could you recommend any company to go to? I wouldn't know where to start looking for someone to do this. I'm going to have a go phoning them up on Monday although I'm not too optimistic that I will get anywhere with that either.

Rather annoyingly, they don't appear to have a complaints department, I can only find a postal address for "Apple Sales International".

Man of Honour
So the handset is part of the package?

Are you being delibately obtuse? It's part of the original sales package but not the airtime agreement.

Here is some hard text from a mobile operators terms and conditions:

14 Devices
your Device is not a part of your Contract
14.1 Your Device and Accessories are acquired by you outside the terms of your Contract.

Source: Orange

:rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
This is why you should buy a SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 !

Well I have been weighing up the other options, I did consider putting the phone on ebay, I've seen some go for ~£100 when stuck in recovery mode, add that to the fee apple wanted for a new phone and she'd have £240 to get something new. She did quite like her phone so I think she'd probably rather just pay the money to get it replaced if she had to.

Associate
[TW]Fox;20041061 said:
Are you being delibately obtuse? It's part of the original sales package but not the airtime agreement.

Here is some hard text from a mobile operators terms and conditions:

Source: Orange

Are you being deliberately condescending? Oh yes, you are. As usual.

Source: OcUK

Regardless of contract wording it is entirely reasonable to believe the handset acquired as part of a mobile phone 'deal' lasts as long as the accompanying contract. Simples.

Associate
Are you being deliberately condescending? Oh yes, you are. As usual.

Source: OcUK

Regardless of contract wording it is entirely reasonable to believe the handset acquired as part of a mobile phone 'deal' lasts as long as the accompanying contract. Simples.

Even more amazing that you two are arguing an issue that isn't even on topic...

Good luck getting your phone fixed Jotun.

Back
Top Bottom