Protect that MacBook Pro keyboard! Expensive!

Associate
If you own a MacBook Pro be careful to look after the keyboard. I currently have the Feb 2011 15" model (2Ghz quad-core i7, unibody).

A friend spilt tea over the keyboard. Luckily it never did any damage to the main internals (unlike my toshiba laptop, if it sees liquid it dies). The bad news is the keyboard is built into the unibody casing so the whole top case needs replacing. Cost? Well the cheapest I found was a company called RepairMyApple who did it for £250 all in (including a courier to and from). Other places were going to charge me £250 for the part and then the hourly rate on top. You can buy them if you want to do it yourself, I've seen it for £215, but on these new 2011 models there's so many tiny connectors all over the place and you need to dismantle the entire internals.

So yes, look after that keyboard! :)

PS, when running Win 7 in BootCamp these machines fly... COD:Black Ops with maximum settings? no problem for it...

Associate
OP
Yep Radeon HD 6490M and the Intel HD 3000 for 2D stuff...

Great machine, got lucky on eBay and picked it up still sealed in the box for £850, no way I could afford £1500 for a laptop. Luckily the house insurance is covering the repair!

Soldato
Yep Radeon HD 6490M and the Intel HD 3000 for 2D stuff...

Great machine, got lucky on eBay and picked it up still sealed in the box for £850, no way I could afford £1500 for a laptop. Luckily the house insurance is covering the repair!

That is a MENTAL price.

I paid £1100 for a 4 month old 2010 15" last year, and I thought that was a bargain. Sheesh.

Associate
I've replaced keyboards in these, they DO come away from the upper case and can be had for around £70 for the backlit version.

It does take a lot of time and messing around (it's basically stuck down with double sided tape) and a few clips, most probably a lot easier for people just to change the whole thing, though less of a profit for them, or more expense for you, either way you look at it.

Associate
Pop in to Apple... They are good with first time accidents. My friend at work spilt red wine on his MBP 2011 which damaged the logic board. They replaced it as a good will.

Go in, be nice and tell them the truth.

Soldato
My logic board has been damaged... It is currently with them with an estimated repair cost of £289...

Thank god I have applecare which brings that down to... £0 :D

Associate
My logic board has been damaged... It is currently with them with an estimated repair cost of £289...

Thank god I have applecare which brings that down to... £0 :D

Yes, it is the level of service and AppleCare that is a real plus point. Other vendors can produce similar hardware spec'd eqpt but if they don't provide the high level service, there will always be that differential.

Back
Top Bottom