• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How Much Faster (Real World Performance) Is the i7-2600k Over A Q6600? (old quad core from 2007)

Soldato
no offence but what the hell is wrong with 50 - 60FPS at maximum settings with FSAA, what the hell am I missing? everyone seems so pointlessly obsessed with that little frame-rate counter in the corner, would be surprised in most games if there is a obvious difference between 60FPS and 75FPS to be honest, seems like a bit of a pointless waste of time and effort for a probably insignificant 'actual' improvement (ignoring the FPS counter of course!). :confused:

+1

Associate
I'm currently looking into this upgrade too, however I'm mainly interested in improving SSD performance (sata 3 ports) & other features in the newer chipset. I'm still aware that the Q6600 is still a good processor, but all of the reviews I have seen for the 2500k give it top marks.

Buying a GTX 580 for the same price or even a GTX 570 for cheaper than the 2500k, mobo & ram may give a higher FPS boost in many games - however I'm happy with the current gaming performance from the 5850 and a 2500k should improve the overall performance of the PC - even if it only gives a little FPS boost in games.

no offence but what the hell is wrong with 50 - 60FPS at maximum settings with FSAA, what the hell am I missing? everyone seems so pointlessly obsessed with that little frame-rate counter in the corner, would be surprised in most games if there is a obvious difference between 60FPS and 75FPS to be honest, seems like a bit of a pointless waste of time and effort for a probably insignificant 'actual' improvement (ignoring the FPS counter of course!). :confused:

Well that's probably average FPS, not minimum, so a higher average should also mean the minimum FPS (in more graphically demanding scenes etc) should be higher.

Also higher FPS indicates that other things will be faster/more responsive: e.g. the mouse input will seem more responsive, load times may be improved etc.

Edit: I do agree that there is a point where it goes beyond stable performance & future proofing, however the 2500k isn't extra expensive and is unlikely to be completely redundant in a few years time. Also if you've had a Q6600 for 4 years then you will have already gained good value out of that cpu.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
I just upgraded from Q6600 @3.6ghz to a core i5 750 @ 4ghz cost me total about £47 all second hand I consider the 1156 socket a decent upgrade path if you can sell your ram board and Q6600 for above £100 you can bag a decent p55 board and 750/760 for around £120-£130 and get 2x2gb 1600mhz ddr3 for £15-£20.Pretty decent upgrade for around £40-£50 going to sandy will cost way too much to justify and an i5 @ 4ghz is decently faster than a Q6600 @ 3.6 certainly worth a stab at £40-£50.Yes it's a dead socket but so is 775 and i think in 2 years from now a core i5 750/760 p55 and ddr3 will be worth more than a Q6600 ddr2 and 775 board so the £40-£50 you outlay now will come back to you on your next upgrade probably.

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit: I do agree that there is a point where it goes beyond stable performance & future proofing, however the 2500k isn't extra expensive and is unlikely to be completely redundant in a few years time. Also if you've had a Q6600 for 4 years then you will have already gained good value out of that cpu.

Future proofing? In a couple of years a 2500K will probably be as relevant as a Q6600.
And yes, the 2500K isn't cheap either, I decided the "real world" performance of the 1155 wasn't significant enough over my 775 to justify all the extra cash
And you know what? My C2Q will play BF3 etc yadda yadda very nicely thx.
I really think we need to distinguish between "want" and "need".

Soldato
I replaced my 3.6GHz Q6600 with a 4.5GHz 2600K.

Very very happy.

Being able to software re-encode at over 100FPS (With filter application) is <3

FFS he wants a GAMING rig!
Do your eyes work in a different way to mine? Where have you read he wants encoding to be part of his plans? He wants a GAMING rig!
i7 complete waste of money for gaming.
I wish ppl with SB would stop saying "get one 'cos I've got one and it's great" when in reality it's not needed. :mad:

Soldato
Do your eyes work in a different way to mine? Where have you read he wants encoding to be part of his plans? He wants a GAMING rig!
I wish ppl with SB would stop saying "get one 'cos I've got one and it's great" when in reality it's not needed. :mad:

Hi there mr overreactor, Would you like a cup chillout? how about some ointment for that stick up the butt?

Thread title specifies I7-2600k, Sandybridge, God forbid someone should give their feedback on what they;ve experienced using one!!! You're that same guy in the bulldozer thread who cried over the mention of sandybridge arent you? You seriously need to chill out

Soldato
Hi there mr overreactor, Would you like a cup chillout? how about some ointment for that stick up the butt?

Thread title specifies I7-2600k, Sandybridge, God forbid someone should give their feedback on what they;ve experienced using one!!! You're that same guy in the bulldozer thread who cried over the mention of sandybridge are you? You seriously need to chill out

I'm quite chilled thx.
But quite why someone is telling him how good an i7 is at encoding when the guy wants a gaming rig is beyond me.
Surely we should be saying "No, get BD or i5 save the cash for a better GPU in a month or two instead of wasting it on an i7" instead of saying how we get a little stiffy on cos we've got an i7 and it's good at encoding?

Hmm... I'd like you to point me to that post too if you can.

Soldato
I'm quite chilled thx.
But quite why someone is telling him how good an i7 is at encoding when the guy wants a gaming rig is beyond me.
Surely we should be saying "No, get BD or i5 save the cash for a better GPU in a month or two instead of wasting it on an i7" instead of saying how we get a little stiffy on cos we've got an i7 and it's good at encoding?

Hmm... I'd like you to point me to that post too if you can.

Well if anything we should be telling him to go with a 2500k for a good improvement, I agree there. Still think you over reacted slightly though :p

As for the other thread, It wasn't you :p apologies, I just went on a mission to prove myself right, and i found that infact it was someone else completely in that thread who started getting upset that people were bringing up sandy in there

Soldato
sorry it took me a while to get back! id say i got atleast 20% increase in the witcher 2 which was great as im really enjoying that one!

read the reviews on the i5 2500k, i think its perfect for a gaming rig! as the guys are saying above, you dont really need the i7 the 2500k will be fit for your purpose

good luck with your setup anyways :)

Soldato

:rolleyes:

I encode with my gaming rig. Fraps, TV, Films - plenty.

He specified an i7 in his opening post, he requested real world differences. Did he say "Only in games"? Nope.

I've got one, because I wanted one, because I need the benefits of one and it's great.

I love your little hissy fit though, quite the entertainment on a Sunday night. You might be buying gear on a budget and do nothing but play games but not all of us are.

Last edited:
Soldato
:rolleyes:

I encode with my gaming rig. Fraps, TV, Films - plenty.

He specified an i7 in his opening post, he requested real world differences. Did he say "Only in games"? Nope.

I've got one, because I wanted one, because I need the benefits of one and it's great.

I love your little hissy fit though, quite the entertainment on a Sunday night. You might be buying gear on a budget and do nothing but play games but not all of us are.

He specced a gaming rig
You are talking about what what YOU want, not what he specced. Shut up and get out!

Soldato
OPs question

How Much Faster (Real World Performance) Is the i7-2600k Over A Q6600? (old quad core from 2007)

An i7 is an excellent choice for a gaming rig and if you are not pinching pennies offers more performance over more areas (including those outside of games) than the i5 does. An i7 is point blank better than an i5. Nuff said.

What part of his post mentioned upgrading on a budget? What part of his post said he did not have much to spend? You are a jacked up little kid. I mean look at your signature, insecure about post count much? You have offered nothing in this thread except a bitter outcry against an answer to a question the OP asked about an i7.

I decided the "real world" performance of the 1155 wasn't significant enough over my 775 to justify all the extra cash

Read:

My parents won't give me the money for a new CPU so I cannot afford current gen hardware. As a result I will pretend it's because I don't see any value.

Last edited:
Soldato
So does anyone have any benchmarks of games using an OC'd Q6600?

Mine happily sits at 3.6/3.8 and I was wondering whether it is worth upgrading in time for BF3 or if I should just update the GFX now and the rest when the picture becomes clearer.

Associate
My mind is full of views after reading this thread. Whilst admiring those of you who have had the i5/i7, the question about what I need or what I want definitely spells out my difficulties in making a decision to upgrade.

Having a budget concern also makes me think twice before I jump to buying the i5/2500K.

Most of the titles including BF2, BC2, CoD WaW, LOCKON Platinum, Far Cry 2, Crysis I along with a few other flight simulation titles run with 30+ and FPS titles mostly 60+. Without going to max setting, some even soars to 100+ which doesn't make any difference to naked eyes.

I could be wrong, and also because I have no experience in latest titles that would even make it worst. But just looking at it from an casual user, if as you folks say, current and future titles are becoming more GPU limited, then what we are looking for - Frame Rates or Visual Qualities?

Compared to my aging/retired 4870 with my newly deployed 560 Ti, AF 8Q, AA 8Q for the nVidia chip seems to be a piece of cake. And the visual is elegant, vibrant as expected.

What I am trying to say is that, do titles need better CPU or a better GPU will suffice?

Associate
I have a q6600 also; wondering what the best upgrade path would be - like to see how your guys benches are if there are any done etc ...

Associate
I have a q6600 also; wondering what the best upgrade path would be - like to see how your guys benches are if there are any done etc ...

Well...as I said, quite many titles give pretty much the same high range of frame rates, so it would be almost impossible for our naked eyes to tell the difference!

I would rather like to see the endurance of the i5 and i7.

Caporegime
Meh, a Q6600 is still a VERY good chip, theres better no doubt but 98% of gaming isn't about the CPU, and a quad core from when single cores were still barely being taxed in gaming is going to last embarassingly(and boringly when you like to upgrade) well :p

In terms of gaming now, always, get the best GPU money can buy/worth the value. IE 2x6870's are faster and cheaper than a single 580gtx, basically get the best your money can buy, and put as much money as possible forwards for the gpu's over other parts as you will see by FAR the biggest performance boost come from gpu's.

Lets say you had £300 to spend today and currently had a 4870/260gtx or something, you could spend £150 on 8gb mem, a 2500k and a mobo, or you could buy anything from a single 6850, to a single 6950 or dual 6870's for £300 and have a FAR faster gaming rig with the old cpu and the new gpu(s).

Is a 2600k worth it, for gaming, not even slightly, there will be few if any games faster on a 2600k than a 2500k, and you're talking 1-2%. The saving is more than worth it, even more so if that extra circa £100 went on gpu's than cpu.

The Q6600 at stock, isn't good enough, at 3.2Ghz, will pass the limit on most old single threaded games, and most newer multithreaded games, if you could hit 3.6-3.7Ghz there would be very very few games that would require more CPU power.

Basically ignore the argueing, give us a clue on how much you can spend, and when you want to upgrade.

For instance, if Bulldozer is good it will either offer an alternative and potentially great value or even better performance, or will at least probably cause some price drops on Intel. If you could wait till March/April, Intel's Ivybridge chips will come out, nothing fancy by themselves but could tank 2500k pricing and 2600k price would certainly drop, probably to within £20 of the 2500k, at which point the price difference makes the 2600k a great choice.

Theres loads of options, personally with a 5850 I'd go with GPU first, I'd maybe try to eek out a few more Mhz from the cpu, and I'd wait a while to see how bulldozer and pricing turns out. Even on the gpu, basically within the next month we should get a lot of great info on the new HD7000 series cards, from expected dates, prices, performance, again you'll looking at, on release, huge cut prices on hd6000 series stuff, potentially awesome hd7000 series cards and just flat out better value for money.

In 2 months theres just no question, everything will be better value due to stuff coming out gpu and cpu. AFter that, rather than go for the top line cpu and highest GPU, go for the next to top gpu/cpu, save a bundle of cash, and you won't notice the difference. 2500k/7950, or a FX8120(cheapest octo core)/7950 is likely to be a ridiculously awesome value computer with great performance in the next 1-2 months.

Back
Top Bottom