Driving Instructor Ramble.

Soldato
Congratulations. Be sure not to get 6 points in your first 2 years or you will have to re sit your test.
Thank you and I will be very cautious. Also I'm currently doing my Pass Plus and I officially hate narrow two way traffic back roads, doing the national speed limit.

Associate
I got on great with my instructor and I was a late leaner too - 22/23. I think what you went through was "point of no return" it was green and then amber at last second where you couldn't stop without being a risk to other road users in this case behind you. I Had plenty of those :) I wouldn't worry about it. Also have you done/booked theory yet?

Soldato
Thank you and I will be very cautious. Also I'm currently doing my Pass Plus and I officially hate narrow two way traffic back roads, doing the national speed limit.

From an insurance point of view, pass plus is a waste of time, even my instructor said so, its good if you want motorway experience and night time driving experience but thats about it.

Associate
From an insurance point of view, pass plus is a waste of time, even my instructor said so, its good if you want motorway experience and night time driving experience but thats about it.

Totally agree. I was perusing car insurance quotes with and without pass pluss and there was no difference in price.

I think its only beneficial if your 1. a Woman:D or 2. under 20 though I could be wrong.

Driving is easier on the Motorway.

Soldato
I'm doing it for the extra experience mostly, the back roads that I experienced first time the other day, were treacherous and I honestly believe if I was on my own I would have wrote the car off :eek:.

Soldato
I've been told if you get your quote, then phone up the company and ask if how much you would get knocked of if you had your pass plus, then you get a better deal than from just the comparison websites.
No idea if its actually worth it though, I don't think I'm going to bother.

Associate
I passed my driving test in August on the 11th this year, first time with only four minors. Now for the embarrassing bit, I'm twenty eight and it took me roughly a hundred lessons :o.

If this is true, this makes me feel at ease. I did 55 or so lessons with an instructor who I began to hate.
He kept telling me we'd done stuff that we hadn't and would disagree with me when I told him we haven't done this before.

He was a moron TBH, he bought an iPhone, got married and went to disneyland during the time he was teaching me, raping me of every penny I had.

That was around a year ago, I'm going to try and learn to drive again next year but I've lost all confidence at the moment and I'm kinda just postponing the fact I will have to do it one day.

Associate
Those of you who get loads of lessons... is this because you don't have a car/someone able to supervise you to practise in your own time? Or is it on top of that?

Associate
As others are echoing in here, I had close to 40 hours of lessons and most of my friends with driving licences also had a similiar amount.

I had no other car to practice in and no opportunity to drive in between my lessons that had to be arranged around college. This meant I could only get around 3 hours of lessons in a week at most.

I did however, pass first time with only 2 minors, so it is quite possible I had a few too many hours. However with hindsight I'm glad I did as when the test came I felt 100% confident in my own skills and I think this showed during my test.

I dont think it is abnormal for people to be taking 30 - 40 hours worth of driving lessons if they have no other car to practice in.

Associate
I bought that e/book called "How to pass your driving test first time" and "100 ways to fail your driving test".

I thought that it might be a con but for £7 I thought it was worth a chance.

I paid the £7 and got a download link then I printed it off. Couldn't believe how helpful it was.

It said if you read it thoroughly and take it all on board your sure to pass first time and guess what I did. :) I also had around 30 lessons.

I definitely Reccomend that ebook. Especially the 100 ways to fail your driving test part.

heres the link to it, its definatly legit.

http://www.drivingtestsecrets.com/?hop=0

Last edited:
Soldato
Those of you who get loads of lessons... is this because you don't have a car/someone able to supervise you to practice in your own time? Or is it on top of that?
I had a few lessons when I was eighteen in a manual, but hated the constant gear changing and eventually lost intrest and gave up. Many years later I took up learning to drive again, but this time in an automatic due to the amount of congestion on the roads I felt more comfortable in an automatic and continued.

I learned/passed in an automatic (go kart) and everyone in my family except for one drives a manual, the one that drives an automatic used their car as a taxi therefore I legally wouldn't be able to learn in it. Unfortunately I had no other choice but to pay through the nose for the lessons.

Soldato
Those of you who get loads of lessons... is this because you don't have a car/someone able to supervise you to practise in your own time? Or is it on top of that?

Yep. Basically paying to practise. I'd be willing to bet most people claiming to have passed in very few lessons had practise in between lessons.

Its take far longer when you're just having one lesson a week.

Associate
Just reminded me about how good my driving instructor was, going to give him a message tomorrow actually as it has been something like 4 years!

No previous driving experience I had done 25 hours and felt comfortable about driving but I could just not grasp round-abouts the actual theory of it such as when/where to come off. It would just not process in my head fast enough lol, my control of the car was fine but I had no yet passed my theory so booked that while still having lessons to keep everything fresh and work on roundabouts!

30-35 lessons and I passed my theory and driving test 1st time. Looking back and hearing other peoples stories my driving instructer was awesome, had such a good time and obviously taught me well as I have had no accidents so far (touch wood) but about being the start of learning to drive, other drivers etc.

/Blog haha anyway hes ace!

Back
Top Bottom