Puzzle help (PuzzleOcelot)

Man of Honour
Hi all,

Don't know if anyone remembers Puzzle Donkey from back in the day (currently a FB app I think)? Well PuzzleOcelot is very similar. I've been putting some of the questions up on our works Intranet with wee prizes, but one of them is completely doing my nut in. This one!!

Puzzle 17: Along the Right Lines

1 = Blue

2 = Blue

3 = Green

4 = Blue

5 = Red

6 = Green

7 = Brown

8 = ?

Anyone tried PuzzleOcelot and managed to get the answer to this? Or any puzzle masters fancy giving it a go? I thought I knew the answer but it aint accepted. Won't reveal my line of thinking quite yet as I could be going down the completely wrong path. HELP!!!!

Man of Honour
OP
I can't even do the first 5 :( :o

Oh they are plenty tough! I've only managed to get a handful so far but number 17 is doing my nut in, moreso than the others because I feel I've got so close!

On the bright side I've become a bit of an expert on Thomas the Tank Engine:o

Soldato
I loved PuzzleDonkey, completed each one but I must be really out of practice because I've only done about half of these!

17 is a real stinker because it seems like it should be obvious, I've tried a few obvious things - Tube Stations/Lines, Monopoly board, etc but all of those would give another colour as the answer and I don't think it would be that easy as it's too open to guesswork unless the colour is something obscure.

Soldato
Since each one is pretty different, there's not really a specific mindset needed. I'm awful at the picture based ones for example but pretty good at the word based ones.

For the ones that seem like a story there is normally a common theme, look for the names of people/things/places and see if you can spot a trend that might be translated into a number or letter. 3 & 6 are good examples of this ;)

Strangely I found 70 the easiest so far, I haven't even looked at most of them but thought I'd try that one because the last question on Puzzle Donkey was always an absolute stinker that often took hours to solve even if you knew the method. 70 is an example of one where you just need to "spot" the answer because you'd never get it from trial and error.

I don't want to post any answers or major clues on here because it ruins it for everyone who will come across this thread and want to try themselves but I can PM you the answer to 70 if you're curious ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Could you give us a few spoilers, then - all the answers you know with explanations?

I'd just like to know the mindset required for this sort of thing :D

As ricky says there's really no specific mindset. I just try and approach the questions from as many angles as possible - but a lot of them take time to find the right approach. For the say what you see questions I like to write down all the possibilities for each picture then try and find something that fits.

I will share my workings for number 17, in the hope someone can either finish it or tell me I'm going down the wrong route.

Possible spoiler!

The numbers and colours match up with Thomas the tank engine.

1 = Blue (Thomas)
2 = Blue (Edward)
3 = Green (Henry)
4 = Blue (Gordon)
5 = Red (James)
6 = Green (Percy)
7 = Brown (Toby)
8 = Green (Duck)

Duck was given number 8 on his arrival. He was painted green, but this doesn't work. The type of green is "GWR Green" or "Brunswick green" - neither of which are correct either! I've tried his name(s), and also went down the path that number 8 could be Emily rather than Duck, but still nothing fits. GRRRRRR!!

Back
Top Bottom