Advent Vega

Soldato
Comments on build quality?

Build quality to me seems pretty good, considering it's price. It feels solid, some people moan about the buttons on the top, but they must be inbred swamp beasts as they are fine in reality.

Screen quality is absolutely fine IMO, it's fine for one or two friendly people to look and play, perfect for surfing on your own.

Touchscreen quality is a bit off, but supposedly the later models have fixed this. On mine I have a line about 1" above the bottom that is fairly unresponsive and can cause double-taps etc. But the most recent screen calibrator has all but eliminated this.

Speed, it's very quick running gingerbread, and when they sort out the h/w acceleration on honeycomb that will be blistering too. I've played a few Tegra2 games and they play perfectly.

Go to a shop and play with one, get them to connect it to the wifi if it isn't already and spend 20 minutes having a good play.

Personally I think they're full of win.

Soldato
Yeah I've no issue with the screen...I only normally use it in landscape which is best for browsing anyway. Portrait I admit can be a pain but for the price it can't be beat. And the community is superb.

Soldato
I don't think you can't get staff discount on the iPad 2 anyways?

In the Bristol Cabot Circus Purple Shop, they have all the tablets, do you too? It's worth looking into the Asus Transformer - awesome bit of kit, even though it's much more expensive. However, you get so much more for your money.

If you do a lot of browsing, it might be worth looking for a tablet with a better screen.

Soldato
OP
I can get staff discount on the ipad 2 yea. Transformer doesn't really appeal it's too close to the ipad 2 price wise.

Vega appeals cos of the specs for the money and most of all the community the budget and the value also.

Soldato
I picked one up for my wife's work a few weeks back, absolutely spot on for the price and if you can get it cheaper I'd certainly recommend it. All comes down to your budget but they are brilliant for uynder £200.

Soldato
The transformer is a better tablet, no question. It is however a fair chunk more expensive, so it all depends on what you're willing to spend.

Having said that, you can't really do anything extra on a transformer (you can get a bluetooth keyboard with touchpad that works with the vega) that you can't do on the vega.

Associate
I've had one for a few months and am very pleased with it. As others have said the community is fantastic especially at Modaco. The Modaco R8 ROM is very good as is the Corvus5 ROM which I was happily running till last night.

They've just released Vegacomb 3.2 which is Honeycomb 3.2 with full hardware acceleration. It absolutely flies and looks damn sexeh. Its missing a few things the above ROMs have such as camera and USB host mode but at the rate they're releasing updates I imagine these will be resolved in a couple of weeks.

It's also said to be 'unbrickable' as well which is handy if you are keen to mod it!

Soldato
I've had one for a few months and am very pleased with it. As others have said the community is fantastic especially at Modaco. The Modaco R8 ROM is very good as is the Corvus5 ROM which I was happily running till last night.

They've just released Vegacomb 3.2 which is Honeycomb 3.2 with full hardware acceleration. It absolutely flies and looks damn sexeh. Its missing a few things the above ROMs have such as camera and USB host mode but at the rate they're releasing updates I imagine these will be resolved in a couple of weeks.

It's also said to be 'unbrickable' as well which is handy if you are keen to mod it!

After this whole HP Touchpad farce I've actually started to look into the practicality of a touchpad and to be honest this seems to fit the bill in terms of price/performance with the modding community heavily behind it. Honeycomb 3.2 looks and runs great on it going by those videos and good to hear your experience also.

Trying to find it sub £200 and the cheapest I can find it with some cashback is £179 right now.

Soldato
Had this then returned it within a day.

The very very very poor viewing angle ruins the tablet experience. Portrait view is the worst. I suppose it's okay if you've never seen a great a screen.

Now have a xoom and what a big difference with the screen.

Just being honest.

Soldato
I got one of these today <£140, pretty cheap so figured I might as well. :)
I can see what people mean about the screen but I'm only using this to see if I will use a tablet or not.
Stock Android 2.2 is hideous, dunno wtf you'd do normally on this thing without messing about with custom roms. Just preparing to flash Vegacomb then I'll see what it's like.

Back
Top Bottom