Calling all skydivers!

Man of Honour
i would like to do at least a tandem once in my life. you can do it naked in some countries lol that would be hectic :p

I've done it naked in the UK as well as abroad ;) It was bloody cold in the UK :p

I think a mixture of fear and wind chill would render me female by any anatomical definition :p

I've no idea if I'll actually enjoy this or if it's something I'd like to do more than once so I think I'll be fine with a one-off tandem jump for now.

I live in the south east (Croydon, Greater London). Has anyone used any of the airfields/drop zones in this area of England? Are there any differences between them or should I simply be looking for the drop zone nearest me?

http://www.bpa.org.uk/where-can-i-jump/

Best place for that info. :)

Woodsy sorry to hear you injured yourself :( I fortunately managed my 507 jumps incident and reserve free (though a few close calls). Hope it hasn't rendered your life impossible.

Soldato
i did my AFF in australia, spent a few months there jumping

highly recommend it, though as freefaller says, a tandem is just a tiny taster of what its all about

Associate
I did a tandem from 14000 ft in Australia- I just found a random place offering it (not sensible but I didn't die so it's all good).

The free fall bit was really cool, but if I'm really honest, the best bit out of the rest of it was the view. Once the parachute was up, it's not that exciting. But maybe that's just because I really didn't like my tandem instructor man, I don't know.

Man of Honour
I loved sometimes just jumping out by myself, popping at 4000ft and just enjoying the view. Especially on a 7am load when the sun's coming up or the last load of the day with the sunset - beautiful. More so when the weather's good - it just makes for such a good end/start to the day/evening. :)

it's so serene after the rush of the jump to sit in the canopy, legs dangling, and with little noise from anything. :)

Some of the best jumps though where racing the plane back down to the airfield - especially fun if you're the last load - agree with the pilot as to what you're wanting to do, and you can get some great pics of the plane diving. I'll have to dig out my pics I have a few where the plane and I are at 90 degrees to the horizon :cool:

Man of Honour
I've done one static line. Hell of an experience but not the sport for me, while I found it exhilarating, I also found it pretty terrifying. I get vertigo now although I didn't then. Enjoyed doing a session in a skydiving simulator recently.

Man of Honour
That's how I got into it (at Loughborough, I was the chairman of the skydiving club :)) - cheapest and best way to do it. You can then be part of the the universities skydiving club/association (if it still exists) who then set up trips to Gap, Kenya, California etc... you can get a lot of cheap jumps and tend to have better weather! :)

Caporegime
As it happens I will be jumping out of a plane this Sunday for the 1st time. Not had time to get nervous yet.

Associate
AFF course is probably the best way if you intend to make it a hobby.

I've just completed 8 jumps and I'm now qualified to go solo on my ten consolidation jumps. After that, I get my A category licence.

Guy

Guy

Associate
I've just come back from Empuria Brava doing my AFF and I have to say it's one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. I can't wait to get back out their or get to a DZ near me.

Caporegime
slowly starting ton get nervous after watching various recored accidents on youtube, but looks like the weather may pay hede anyway.

Associate
My dad did it yesterday, all he told me was you only spend 30 seconds free falling then they open the parachute.

You get up to ONE MINUTE in freefall depending on jump height and opening height.
As a student, I was jumping from 14000ft and opening at 5500ft and was getting 50 seconds freefall. I can now take the opening height down to 4000ft as I have more experience. That will give me just less than a minute in freefall.

I have a few videos up on Youtube of some of the levels. Here is a link to my FIRST dive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4JvGVwaENE

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always wanted to try this but the closest dropzone to me has a weight restriction of 14.5 stone :(

Is that a general weight restriction for all dropzones? suppose it's something to aim for :)

Back
Top Bottom