Quick Belgium visit, things to do?

Soldato
I'm going to Belgium next week for a couple of days and just wondering if there are any must dos. We will be driving from Calais to Brugge (I think) so if there is anything on the way, I will also listen.

However, I'm only going to be there for a night or two, will be closer to Brugge than Brussels (though I may try and get over there for a few hours, though I've been before and seen most of the city).

The Duvel brewery seems a bit to far to go but if there are any others on the east side I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Soldato
You have to try the chip stands which are in front of the tower in Bruges if you go there - they are classic :) really good chips after a nights merry making!

We stayed there recently again and at a place called St Christophers Bahaus hotel (roughly) and it was very good for a cheapo hostel type place - certainly better than some of the equally priced places we came across in Milan and Berlin ...

Don't bother with Brussels - get out of there as soon as you can ;)

Associate
I was born in Belgium so here are my 2 francs...

Visit Bruges for sure, well worth it. If you're into World War II there are quite a few attractions in the same province (West Flanders), Ypres (Ieper) springs to mind. Avoid Brussels, it's a dump. Ghent is worth visiting for an afternoon, and Antwerp has a beautiful historical city centre too.

There are nice places in Wallonia too (Namur, Dinant) but I guess you won't be going so far south.

Associate
Just a quick word of advice if you have never driven that route before.

Make sure you have fuel before hitting the highway in France I made the mistake of getting off the Calais ferry low on fuel and thinking I'll just hit the first petrol station on the highway.

Turns out there are none in France going towards Belgium. the first petrol station you hit after leaving Calais is 24km over the Belgian bordser.

I ran out 4 km over the border at 12 midnight

Back
Top Bottom