John Charles dies

Soldato
Wales and Leeds football legend John Charles has died at the age of 72.
He was admitted to hospital in January after feeling unwell prior to an appearance on Italian television.

He underwent two operations in Milan and had part of his foot amputated due to serious blood circulation problems before being flown back to England.

Charles, who played as a striker or centre-half, also starred for Italian giants Juventus and was never booked or sent off in his career.

"John was without question the greatest footballer produced from Wales," said Football Association of Wales general secretary David Collins.

"His all round ability in the air and on the ground made him equally at home as a centre-half and centre-forward. Indeed, he could play in any position.

"He was the perfect ambassador for Wales and the great game that is football. Our thoughts are with his wife, Glenda, and his family at this very sad time."

Leeds issued a club statement expressing their sadness at the death of Charles.

"He was widely regarded as one of the greatest players the game of football has known," it read.

"A powerfully built man, John was truly a gentle giant and was loved and admired by all who saw him play."

Charles joined Leeds when he was only 17, scoring more than 150 goals in eight years, including 42 in the 1953-4 season.

He moved to Italian giants Juventus for a then record fee of £67,000 in 1957 and scored 93 goals in 155 matches.

Awarded the CBE in 2001, Charles, who also had spells with Roma and Cardiff, played in the last Wales team to qualify for the World Cup, starring in the 1958 Finals.

In 2002, he was made a vice president of the Football Association of Wales.

Swansea-born Charles passed away at Wakefield's Pinderfields Hospital in the early hours of Saturday.

Bob Harris, co-writer of the autobiography 'King John', said: "The end was very peaceful."

It was while promoting the book in Milan on 7 January that Charles collapsed before a TV show with a heart attack.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3488975.stm

:(

I have to admit to not really knowing who he was when I read the headline, but his records are amazing. How many modern footballers could hope to never be booked in their career?

Tru

Tru

Soldato
I only really learned of his exploits when Channel 4 did a Football Italia feature on him a few years back, I think when he was presented with an award from the Juve fans.
A true legend, RIP.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Originally posted by andi
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3488975.stm

:(

I have to admit to not really knowing who he was when I read the headline, but his records are amazing. How many modern footballers could hope to never be booked in their career?

yeah i agree, not a single sending off or booking :) , then again it might have been very different the sending off and booking rules back then

Associate
Re: Re: John Charles dies

Originally posted by ForestFire
yeah i agree, not a single sending off or booking :) , then again it might have been very different the sending off and booking rules back then

It was when men were men. A REAL blokes game in those days - hard but fair and definitely NO HANDBAGS! ;)

Even the ball (a "casey") was harder (well, heavier anyway). Made of thickish leather with a rubber bladder inside and a lace to seal the gap. Waterproofing was courtesy of "Dubbin" although in wet weather the ball still got heavier and heavier whilst soaking up water. Just kicking it required a real man whilst heading, particularly high or fast moving balls, at times needed a suicide jockey. :eek:

Yes, Big John was a REAL man indeed.
RIP John Charles :)

Soldato
Sad news , I read somewhere that he was voted sports person of Wales for ever. if you know what I mean

Also a nice touch was Juventus paid for a air ambulance to take him back to the UK

Man of Honour
Originally posted by andi

The only other one I know of was Gary Lineker.

Sorry to hear about this though, my thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP John :(

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Originally posted by Tru
I only really learned of his exploits when Channel 4 did a Football Italia feature on him a few years back, I think when we was presented with an award from the Juve fans.
A true legend, RIP.

I saw that too, I believe it was for the best ever foreign player at the club

Back
Top Bottom