USB 3.0 Woes...

Associate
I recently got a 1tb USB 3.0 external drive by Western digital to use with my Crosshair 4 board.

After loads of messing about I still cant get it to work though.

The problem is, it just wont seem to detect when I plug it in unless I do a system restart, and even then I cant read anything off of it ie films or music.

It detects instantly and works fine in the 2.0 port.

The drive is definitely certified 3.0 and so is my mobo.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the NEC 3.0 drivers from Asus website but still no change.

Any ideas how I can fix this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
Yes, I've been to the ASUS website and downloaded the latest USB 3.0 Host controller and drivers (there were two sets of USB drivers) I downloaded and installed both.

Edit : Wa wa wee wah ! It seems to have started working. As I was writing this post I thought I'd plug the drive in for one last try and "bong bing" windows recognised me plugging it in and it shows up under my drive list.

I tried playing a Bluray file off it and it only blimmin' works :D

So far so good, I won't hold my breath for the restart though...But I'll post back if the drivers hold up and it continues to work.

Associate
OP
Gah I knew it was too good to be true :(

The drivers held up after the reboot, I even played a quick .avi file to test it further with no problem.

Then I went to transfer a file over from my C drive to the External USB3 drive and it started off great, transferred at around 130mbs, then froze half way...

I cancelled the transferred, it took around 5 minutes to perform the cancel. Then I tried another transfer and I got message saying the drive was no longer in my computer.

I re-booted, my system totally crashed on the exit screen and froze, I hit the reset button on my tower and when it booted up again the drive has now vanished from My Computer, even though it's plugged in.

USB 3.0 is garbage. I may as well stick to 2.0, at least it's reliable.

Associate
OP
Hmm, after a second re-boot it's showed up again. I tried transferring several small files which worked no problems. Then tried an album with no problem and eventually a film, which also worked.

No idea why it's so temperamental. Maybe I wasn't patient enough when I assumed the previous transfer had failed before cancelling.

I guess I'll just have to trial it out and see how it goes but it seems to be working, for now at least...

Associate
Could it be a potential power draw issue?

Sorry, not a particularly specific reply, but I had issues with a USB H/D that used to randomly fail and I finally tracked it down to it only failing when a second USB H/D would spin up.

Just a thought.

Associate
This it seems is a very common issue. I have experienced this myself, to much annoyance, on several occassions and also others I know trying to access HDDs through USB 3.0. There is a quick fix that won't require a reboot but still some hoops to jump through. If the drive doesn't detect when plugged in, go to Device Manager and Scan for Hardware Changes. Then disconnect and reconnect the drive and it should be seen. Basically the fault of the crappy NEC USB 3.0 controllers. There are some firmware updates available on Station-Drivers which I have applied and seem to have significantly reduced the frequency of detection problems. I also applied the latest official drivers from the Intel d/l centre.

Back
Top Bottom