Using Backup Exec SBS on Server Standard

Soldato
Morning all,

We have a customer with a backup solution that is in dire need of replacement, i'm looking to put on Backup Exec, but i'm a bit puzzled at their pricing models.

Symantec Backup Exec 2010 for Windows Small Business Server is £250-£300.
Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Server Edition is £350-£400

I was wondering if I can buy the SBS version and still load it onto a standard 2003 server? I'd presume so, but googling the product and server standard just brings up loads of loads of sales spiel from Symantec.

Soldato
I've just been reading some PDFs on Symantec ParterNet and can't find a clear answer.

Given the SBS edition of Backup Exec 2010 bundles in additional agents which normally cost a few hundred quid each, it wouldn't surprise me if you can't enter a BE SBS license key on anything other than SBS. I think the code base is the same over the editions, it's all done by license key.

BTW BE System Recovery SBS isn't the same product as Backup Exec 2010 SBS

Associate
Backup Exec SBS 2010 comes with 4 licence keys, and one of them is for a Windows Server module but I have never tried installing with that key.

Associate
Morning all,

We have a customer with a backup solution that is in dire need of replacement, i'm looking to put on Backup Exec, but i'm a bit puzzled at their pricing models.

Symantec Backup Exec 2010 for Windows Small Business Server is £250-£300.
Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Server Edition is £350-£400

I was wondering if I can buy the SBS version and still load it onto a standard 2003 server? I'd presume so, but googling the product and server standard just brings up loads of loads of sales spiel from Symantec.

Odd you should ask this as I just called Symantec about this.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125965

You can't (apparently) load SBS Back Up Exec on to a Standard 2003/2008 Server as it does a check. I know this is the case for Symantec System Recovery for SBS because I tried it. System Recovery and Back Up Exec are completely different products. Recovery uses disk media but can't connect to tape drives. Back Up Exec does both.
I know that previous versions of SBS Back Up Exec used to install on full Server version which was very handy if you had Exchange on the same box. I really don't know if they are being truthful.
My policy is now to install the 60 day trial and the legitimise the licence later. That way I don't get bitten any more with the odd "gotcha". I would suggest that you may want to do the same.

Soldato
OP
Odd you should ask this as I just called Symantec about this.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125965

You can't (apparently) load SBS Back Up Exec on to a Standard 2003/2008 Server as it does a check. I know this is the case for Symantec System Recovery for SBS because I tried it. System Recovery and Back Up Exec are completely different products. Recovery uses disk media but can't connect to tape drives. Back Up Exec does both.
I know that previous versions of SBS Back Up Exec used to install on full Server version which was very handy if you had Exchange on the same box. I really don't know if they are being truthful.
My policy is now to install the 60 day trial and the legitimise the licence later. That way I don't get bitten any more with the odd "gotcha". I would suggest that you may want to do the same.

Perfect, thanks! Guess i'll have to try and convince them to move to the full version for an extra £100 :/

Didn't we have this in our last place, sure we tried to install SBS Key on STD and it didn't work.

Dunno bud, don't remember ever selling a normal server with Backup Exec. Actually, scratch that. Don't actually ever remember selling Backup Exec ;)

Back
Top Bottom