Notice period at work, or lack of.

Permabanned
Maybe it depends on the position. I know my mom-in-law includes it on hers but she is a Managing Director with a 6 month notice period.

I have a 6 month notice period also, which I am currently serving incidentally.

Much depends on your specific contractual arrangements as to whether you would be financially responsible for leaving prior to the notice period. I have very specific stipulations regarding pension, bonus and severance payments dependent upon my notice period being completed.

However, the average contract doesn't have those kind of stipulations and it is highly unlikely that if you are in an average job that the notice period can be enforced outside the normal reductions in pay and bonuses for the time you haven't worked.

For example, you are a monthly paid salaried office worker, your contract stipulates a months notice. You give notice and only serve two weeks of that notice, all the firm can actually do is not pay you for the two weeks you did not work and adjust your holiday entitlement accordingly. They would still have to pay you for the hours you worked and the statutory benefits such as holiday pay that you have accrued.

Of course this action would probably negate any return to the firm in future and could affect any verbal reference they may give.

I would simply go to your HR, request the shorter notice period in lieu of pay, explain why and it would be a pretty poor HR/Company that wouldn't accede to such a request. As you have 13 days holiday anyway, the request would be minimal anyway.

Associate
I'd ask if they would be okay with two weeks' notice, offer to do what you can in the two weeks to make it easier for them, use your holiday etc, and see what they say. If they refuse then I'd 'regretfully' say you can only do 2 weeks anyway. Do you HAVE to start new job in 2 weeks time though? maybe there can be movement either way. If you're the right person for the job they should be willing to wait a few more days.

Associate
I just thought I would bump this, as i have the same problem - I've been made an offer I couldn't refuse, I thought I had a weeks notice, but it turns out that it's actually a month (even tho I've only been working here for 2.5 months)

My boss has stated that I have a months notice, and he wants me to stay, and will negotiate salary etc. But really need to start at the new place. SO in short I need to leave, but can't work my full notice?

Anyone here done this?

Soldato
OP
An update from me also.

My current company have been really good and agreed a date which is suitable for the new company. No pay issues, just a case of me getting paid for the days I work.

At stoned. I just wrote the following letter... If your really set on taking the new job regardless of salary negotiations just state that you simply cannot pass on this opportunity. Hopefully they should understand.

Dear Big Bad Boss Man

I am writing to confirm I am resigning from my position as chief well digger

I have decided that it is time to move on and have accepted a position elsewhere.

My contract of employment requires me to work here for a further 4 weeks from the day I give notice. However, I wish to request that you release me at an earlier date because my new employer wishes me to start on the *insert date*

I wish both you and Well Diggers R Us Ltd every good fortune and I would like to thank you for having me as part of your team.

Yours sincerely,

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks Steameh.

Thats what I am about to do, although i really wish i wasn't. I don't think that my former employer would do much, i think they are perhaps just disappointed, not much they can do tbh

Soldato
OP
Thanks Steameh.

Thats what I am about to do, although i really wish i wasn't. I don't think that my former employer would do much, i think they are perhaps just disappointed, not much they can do tbh

Let us know how it goes.

Technically they can sue but the chances of that happening are slim unless you are costing them money by leaving early.

Associate
Let us know how it goes.

Technically they can sue but the chances of that happening are slim unless you are costing them money by leaving early.

UPDATE:

Well, my boss got back to me saying he needed me to stay as he wants to do a handover for the new employee.

I can't really do that, it really wouldn't be *THAT* hard to replace me, and besides they would only give me a week if they wanted to get rid of me, according to the contract

Man of Honour
UPDATE:

Well, my boss got back to me saying he needed me to stay as he wants to do a handover for the new employee.

I can't really do that, it really wouldn't be *THAT* hard to replace me, and besides they would only give me a week if they wanted to get rid of me, according to the contract

Wait a second, so it's a months notice from you but only a weeks notice on their part? Are you sure that's what they're saying or is it a month from either side? I'm not certain that asymmetric notice periods are acceptable, I'd have to look into it further to be sure but it doesn't seem like a reasonable stipulation.

Associate
well in the end all it took was insistence on my part, and he let me go, not much they can do other than sue.

i could just do what physichull, mentioned but I want to leave on at least semi amicable terms.

Back
Top Bottom