MagSafe Chargers

Soldato
So, I think my MacBook Air charger is dying (first gen), it gets very hot, smells (plastic) and seems to have a intermittent connection - I can move the cable and disrupt the charging. I haven't tested another charger, so it's possible the laptop/port itself has the issues but I doubt it.

Should I only consider a genuine Apple TM replacement? @ £66 (!), or will a generic one (£17 the bay) be fine? After all it is just a transformer... right?

Don
I'd like to know the answer to this too.
I could do with a second charger for my MBA but am very nervous about going with a 3rd party one.

Anyone got any experience with these?

Associate
How long have you had it? I've taken in "dodgy" power adapters to Apple before, and they just replaced it for me. (the end of the cable was coming loose). I'd definitely suggest taking it in to them as a first option.

Associate
Took my 18 month old one back with a fraying connector to the Milton Keynes store and they weren't at all interested sadly. Have a half price Amazon special arriving tomorrow, will report back to you then if you can hold on?

Soldato
OP
Took my 18 month old one back with a fraying connector to the Milton Keynes store and they weren't at all interested sadly. Have an half price Amazon special arriving tomorrow, will report back to you then if you can hold on?
I'm in no rush - I'm using a MacBook Pro charger (which sticks out) rather than risking setting myself on fire with the Air one :D

Back
Top Bottom