Passing Video to Imac 27" Screen

Soldato
I believe you an do this and it requires a DP cable then DP Adapter to Mini DP.

i got a few questions regarding it.

Will the whole Imac power up or just the screen?
Can you use the Imac Normally & swtch to other source?

im just curious as im thinking of using the Imac screen for gaming & remote desktoping to it to use for my music etc.

can you do this or does the screen come on & require you remove the cable to use the imac?

Associate
What year model is it? If it is 2011, it requires a thunderbolt source, won't accept something just coming from a regular mini display port device.

Associate
The Imac will be powered on and with the adapter you can only do 720p, with my 6950 i use mini dp cable to mini dp cable and it works great but you need a card with mini dp

Associate
I currently do what i think your wanting to do.

I use a 24'' screen connected to a windows pc and a asus gtx580 to control the windows pc normally, but i allso have the 580 connected to a 2010 model 27'' iMac and i can switch to either mac or pc mode useing cmd+f2 on the apple keyboard, both the windows and mac are connected to my asus card without any problems even when the imac is on.

In targeted display mode the windows desktop is scretched as with any multi monitor set-up, and i have found it to work really well, just unfortunate that the imac is actually 'fully' on during the time (heat+power).

And afaik the Asus card i have is the only nvida card capable of doing this, and the ATI 6950/70 can also output to a 2010 model imac useing the DP to MiniDP adaptor.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have this setup. I use a GTX580 in my pc that a has a full size displayport out on it. I bought a DP to mini DP cable, plugged it in to the imac, hit CMD+F2 and it works beautifully :)

Associate
cool i did not know that, i see an upgrade coming on.

did you try BF3 beta at 2560x1440 with your gtx580 if you did what setting and fps was you getting mate?

Associate
Hey smogsy. Just read your private message. Thought id reply on here in case anyone else would like to know my experience with the iMac display port.

I use a 2010 iMac 27" as a monitor for my PC. As someone has already stated the iMac stays on even when you are using it as a monitor for your PC. Ive been using it like this for over a year now with the following GPU's:

Zotac GTX 460 amp editions in SLI (Full sized DP)
Palit GTX 570 (Full sized DP)
Sapphire 6970 (mini DP)
Sapphire 6950's in crossfire (mini DP)

Every card setup above worked perfectly at the iMacs full resolution of 2560 x 1440. If the GPU has a display port on the back of it, it should definitely work with your iMac as long as its a newish graphics card (last 2 generations anyway, i seem to remember someone having problems trying to connect an old ATI card).

When i was using the Nvidia cards with the full sized Display ports i simply used a £7 mini DP to standard DP connector. I got that connector on that famous auction site.

2011.jpg

Theres an image of my old 460's powering the iMac screen just to confirm that you dont need a mini display port on the back of your graphics card for it to work with your iMac :)

Associate
nice setup you got there mate looks similar to mine only difference i got a TJ-07.

whats the cooling like in that case because it looks very good, i want one

Associate
Cheers Lynx24. As far as im aware its one of the best case's for air cooling.

The case suites me perfectly as I change my setup all the time so it would be a bit too much hassle to go down the water cooling route.

can you do this or does the screen come on & require you remove the cable to use the imac?

Just to answer that question. You can leave the cable plugged in all the time and switch between the two by pressing cmd + F2 on your apple keyboard.

Soldato
This is interesting.. I've been thinking of having two 27" imacs at work.

I want them both to be on in terms of base unit, one to be working as my desktop and the other to be a server, but I want the workstation display to be on both imacs as that's the one that I will mainly be working on and I'll remote into the 'server' one using server management/apple remote desktop.

Is this possible?

Soldato
This is interesting.. I've been thinking of having two 27" imacs at work.

I want them both to be on in terms of base unit, one to be working as my desktop and the other to be a server, but I want the workstation display to be on both imacs as that's the one that I will mainly be working on and I'll remote into the 'server' one using server management/apple remote desktop.

Is this possible?

Don't see why not, they are two separate machines, as long as they are both on the network then you can access them.

I have my Mac mini running in to my 27" iMac display, the iMac is always on (of course, that's how I get it in Target mode) and my Mac mini uses its display. I can see the iMac on the network and ssh in no problem.

When I want to use the iMac, I simply hit CMD+F2 on the iMac kbd and I'm in there, want to go back to the Mac mini, CMD+F2 again and I'm back.

Works really well actually, although I won;t be doing it for long, when the new Thunderbolt Displays are about I'll have both on my desk running simultaneously.

Back
Top Bottom