Settle a debate

Associate
It's not quite as simple as that. Of course, the word "of" is correct, however in the industry I work in when stating a quantity of something the word "off" is used. I have no idea why, but a quick google says this:

"It comes out of manufacturing, in which off has long been used to mark a number of items to be produced of one kind: 20-off, 500-off. This seems to have begun in foundry work, or a similar trade, in which items were cast off a mould or from a pattern"

Soldato
It's not quite as simple as that. Of course, the word "of" is correct, however in the industry I work in..."

There are lots of terms used in specific situations that differ to the norm but if you are asking which is correct - without extra conditions being placed on the context - then the answer is of.

Context is important in language but shouldn't be mistaken for proper use outside of that context.

Caporegime
Having worked in a manufacturing company that always used '100 off please mate', I can say that in industry off is accepted.

Obviously gramatically it's 'of', but not everything is always that simple. There are probably loads of similar examples (none spring to mind!).

Back
Top Bottom