Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Road/CX rims will be presta.

What was wrong with the M540's apart from the threads weren't greased before installation?

I did grease them very lightly with copper grease before installation, the other side came out no problem.

I've not had any issues with the reliability or functioning of the pedals, I was more open to suggestions for a replacement (Crank Bros seem to require more maintenance and poorer reliability), I bought the M540's as they seemed the best value at the time so might buy them again, next step up increases the cost quite a lot.

TheBrooder ; I'm using SPD's not flats!

Soldato
For some reason I never liked the look of the R1 levers in pics, but it looks bang on hanging off your bars in that pic!

It's the one and only negative thing about formula brakes for me. I'm not a fan of the lever and would prefer something super short/fat - like the new XTR levers.

The silver ones on the R1/The one/ Oro etc doesn't help... looks better in black.

Associate
Just bought a mini bike pump, it didn't state (but i should have checked!) what type of valve it was. Now i've got it i've realized it's for Presta valves only.

Are you sure you can't switch the pump internals around to fit schrader? Pretty much every pump I've ever used you just unscrew the end and turn the little rubber block around.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you sure you can't switch the pump internals around to fit schrader? Pretty much every pump I've ever used you just unscrew the end and turn the little rubber block around.

Nah it deffo doesn't work for Schrader. Not a problem for me though, I've got a home pump that fits both and hopefully it won't be too long a wait for the new bike!

Soldato
Stick with Shimano, the CB pedals don't have very good reliability. I've got some M540's in my collection and they're definitely the best value.

Replacement set of M540s in my hand, ready to fit when I am unpacking at the other end!

Got the other off by grinding flats onto the shaft and then using spanner+hammer technique!

Soldato
Well first ride this afternoon with the R1. WOW is all I can say.
Im going to buy the rear in the next 2 weeks - cant come soon enough. Avids are **** in comparison.

Going out in an hour for a 3 hour night right in the woods :cool:

Soldato
Right. I'm looking for a bike. Need to get one out here as it's the way to get about in the city and also some sweet trails to be done. Not to mention I need to lose this belly before ski season.

I'd been thinking about the 750quid region, hard tail and not too heavy for around town and some suspension so I can take it off road.

There is a shop pretty much next door to where I am staying at the moment in Basel for HiLite bikes and I have to say they look damn nice.

Particularly this one:
http://www.hilite-bikes.com/Shop/de/Hardtail/Thao-Alu-leichtes-guenstiges-MTB-Hardtail-Mountain-Bike

Anyone heard of these? What are they like? Or any other recommendations at all?

Thanks guys, I'm Johnny clueless over here :p

Soldato
No link as its a friend selling the bike, went to see it yesterday, he has a Morewood Izimu (small) for sale with DHX RC4 (Ti Spring), Fox 40's, SRAM X0 drive train, Elixir R brakes, spank spike handle bars and other bits and a 2010 Commencal Supreme DH WC edition with DHX 5.0, he's willing to swap over the parts from the morewood to the commencal including the RC4 and Ti spring. I know the Morewood has been looked after, as the owner is a bike mechanic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom