Andrea Rossi Energy Catalyzer fusion device

Man of Honour
Yes they have... And this is one of the reasons they to along at snails paces...
No they haven't. They've been shown the box. They can not look inside or do any proper tests.
So no they haven't.

You can also do what every industry does, sign non disclosure contracts. So they can be fully tested whilst waiting for patents. How do you think companies get manufactured test/sample products.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I read it as they were able to test and take apart the whole machine, but not take apart the 50cc box. They did test the machine as a whole though.

Yes I'm sceptical, just think those that just dismiss it out of hand, whilst using the time it's taking to get anything done as evidence is a bit rich...

Man of Honour
They couldn't check the working bits of it. So basically a test of power output and that's about it. Plenty of ways to maintain rights and secrecy whilst being properly tested.

Caporegime
TBH one of the only reasons I'm even contemplating this is real is that I can't think of anything that would be able to provide 25kw of power (and that must have been one of the first things tested) in such a tiny box. Even a mega efficient capacitor is going to be way too big to fit in something like that... The only thing I can think is that its just as decoy and the scientists that stripped the rest of the machine missed some fundamental other power source...

But no I agree a decent NDA would go a long way in this...

Either way this thread shouldn't really have been dragged up from the depths again, until Oct/Nov when it is supposed to be put into a factory... If it works then we almost certainly bags an answer... If not, or it's "delayed" then we also have our answer... At least he seems to have gone further than all the other machines by actually kitting out a factory with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The article says it liberated energy from water using a nickel nano-powder or some such (right?). In which case they probably consumed more energy making the powder in the first place than the machine liberates.

If it's real at all that is...

Man of Honour
One of the big problems though is shown in this thread... Most people are just calling "con", if it is actually real how does he get people to take notice? [..]

Of a cheap, very compact, non-polluting, non-radioactive scalable power source that actually works? It's true that most people will assume it's a con, but if it's actually real then he has a massive advantage - it would actually work.

A vehicle would do the job well. There are competitions for alternative fuel cars. It wouldn't have to be a good car, so you wouldn't need any significant knowledge about cars. It's just about getting your boxes to power something with wheels that moves. Drive it 500 miles without emissions or recharging. Round and round a track would do the job for that. People will pay attention to a car that has been driven 500 miles without emissions, refueling or recharging. Offer to demonstrate it working.

Use it to power your house. When your electricity and gas bills are zero, it won't be long before the power companies start investigating. They will of course assume that you are fiddling the meters. Tell them to feel free to take it to court - you can prove you have no need of their electricity or gas. That court case gives you an offiical forum for demonstrating your device.

Essentially, show it as a potential product.

There are plenty of people who'll believe complete cobblers when it comes to alternative energy sources. It should be possible to convince some less gullible people by virtue of having a device that actually works and work upwards from there.

Man of Honour
They couldn't check the working bits of it. So basically a test of power output and that's about it. Plenty of ways to maintain rights and secrecy whilst being properly tested.

In this case a test of power output is the important test since that's the only implausible thing being claimed. It doesn't initially matter what is generating the power, so it doesn't matter what's in the box as long as the power output exceeds what any known technology could fit inside the box. They couldn't check what was inside the box, but that's irrelevant to the claim.

If Rossi is the only person who knows how to make the device, it's a secret. Once other people know, it's not a secret. Once patents are involved, some details are available to anyone who asks and potential competitors with far more money will have a massive advantage over him.

The secrecy he's keeping is not in itself suspicious.

The implausibility of his claim is suspicious, but I'll allow for a slight possibility of someone having stumbled onto something new. Physics is of course incomplete and maybe, just maybe, it's incomplete enough for the unknown parts to contain something that would make this alleged device possible.

Man of Honour
I think some of you are completely gullible and of course it matters they cant check the box. The energy doesn't have to be coming from there.
The secrecy is very suspeciuse as there is no need for it, there are patents, contracts and the likes to protect you and your ideas. Business run on non disclosure contracts.

Associate
I am very sceptical of this however I do find the subject very interesting.

Imagine if someone released plans for a super cheap non polluting energy source tomorrow that any company could just go and build. All of a sudden some of the world’s richest countries lose their main source of income. Millions of jobs are put at risk and the weight of economic power shifts overnight. The demand for certain products goes through the floor e.g. Petrol cars.

It would be potentially catastrophic - could even lead to war as oil rich countries invade neighbours in an attempt to sieze other assets. Now I’m not suggesting there is a cover up going on but I would hope that if this sort of discovery were true then it would be ‘managed’ in a delicate way. Maybe that gives the worlds powers too much credit…but its not as simple as flicking a switch.

That’s why I don’t think this is real – When it happens I just cant see it happening like this.

Man of Honour
I think some of you are completely gullible and of course it matters they cant check the box. The energy doesn't have to be coming from there.

They were allowed to check the equipment overall. That's enough to rule out anything obvious as another power source.

There is a lot of ground between completely dismissive and completely gullible.

The secrecy is very suspeciuse as there is no need for it, there are patents, contracts and the likes to protect you and your ideas. Business run on non disclosure contracts.

For radically new technology that the inventor can't explain? What exactly is he going to patent? How can he be sure it won't stop a business with a lot more money making their own version?

Soldato
I'll believe it when I see a peer-reviewed paper in a reputable journal and the work replicated in a reputable university. Until then it's a Perpetual Motion Machine in all but name.

M

THIS

Any Scientist would bend over backwards to get a top peer-reviewed publication in Nature or Science. If it was even vaguely viable it would have been published by now.

This is total tripe, like all perpetual motion machines. To the average layman these people look like respectable scientists, but they're really mostly nutters.

As a physicist we constantly get suggestions from nutters via email, most of which are hilarious. The truth is that no massive breakthrough like this comes from nowhere anymore. It comes from years of hard work, publications, grants etc.. If this based on any kind of real science (and not just "Oooooh what's happening in the box") we would have heard about it years ago.

And to all the conspiracy theorists, I work on Fusion energy, which while still years away is making excellent progress, and no oil company goons have bumped anyone off here..

Back
Top Bottom