Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I thought it better than starting a new thread.

I've just got myself a new bike for getting to Uni and back in York. Do any of you guys have insurance for your bikes? Or is it, in your professional opinions :p , not worth it?

Thanks

Soldato
Formula R1 saved my life - or at least a nasty crash. Some Muppet took a jump at OktoberFest - Bristol Ashton court, tail whipped and BOOM in a tree. Me catching up fast took the jump releised he crashed and gently squeezed the brake and stopped. Avids WOULDNT of done that. Its would have been panic pull lever to the bar and HOPE.

Oh and came 12th in 8 hour solo :cool:

t minus 15 days untill I complete the Epic with the rear brake.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just got myself a new bike for getting to Uni and back in York. Do any of you guys have insurance for your bikes? Or is it, in your professional opinions :p , not worth it?

None of my bikes are insured but the ones that are worth decent amounts of money are either locked inside my house, in the car or I'm riding them. The only one that's left locked up anywhere looks old, tatty and isn't a mountain bike. I certainly wouldn't want to leave anything that looks even slightly decent alone anywhere outside in York.

Soldato
My bikes are covered on my home insurance (had to pay a bit extra for some of them tho). All my good bikes are locked up inside the house though, never take them anywhere that they will be left alone - always take my rubbish fixie for that.

I also have 3rd party liability insurance through being a member of britishcycling. Wouldnt have bothered with it if it wasnt included in the membership but it might come in handy one day.

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I thought it better than starting a new thread.

Thanks

My bikes covered on my house insurance now, didn't cost me anything extra to get it added on while inside the house, only cost me an extra £17 a year to get it covered for its full value against theft while outside my house too! :)

None of my bikes are insured but the ones that are worth decent amounts of money are either locked inside my house, in the car or I'm riding them. The only one that's left locked up anywhere looks old, tatty and isn't a mountain bike. I certainly wouldn't want to leave anything that looks even slightly decent alone anywhere outside in York.

My old bike was stolen from in my kitchen, unfortunately it wasn't specified on my insurance so I only got £500 back for it. I've learned my lesson since then! :(

Associate
You can get bike stores for the garden which is basically a mini shed but they are not far off the price of a normal shed TBH. Cheapest I found was 100 quid...

Ah damn, suppose they need a good foundation also.

I suppose i'll have to find a cover or something and chain the bike up good :)

Anyone use a bike cover for storage?

Associate
Looking at getting a camera to mount onto my handlebars or frame which ever is better. I see there is only 2 main makes out there, gopro or epic. Gopro is a bit expensive but if the quality is there i guess its probably worth it. Is there a model to go for thats value for money?

Soldato
Handlebar mounted camera views turn out ***** as it's way too shakey ( unless you stick to bridleways... which is really isn't worth video'ing)
Stick it on your helmet/chest/frame/seatpost.

GoPro is pretty much the best option for many reasons, video quality being one of them, and mounting options being another.

If you don't have need for 60fps, then I'd opt for the GoPro 960

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...YGaTqTyCtS7hAe7m91N&ved=0CE0Q8wIwAg#scoring=p

Soldato
Pardon the video quality, I'm messing about with different compression settings.

As example, the camera angle options on the GoPro is near infinite.
Not the best, I was messing about with it on Friday

Soldato
After a few months of debating and pondering, I settle on the stumpjumper! Picked it up yesterday and absolutely love it, went on my first ride this morning :D Retail price was £1699, but managed to price match it for £1399 so was over the moon :D. Haven't had a bike since I was younger and wanted to get back into biking for some time. Happy with my purchase, excuse the naff pic. (Seat is now in correct position (a lot higher due to being 6'6).

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the replies on insurance. I've spent £50 on a lock, so hopefully that'll deter the scumbags enough.

But I'll still look in to some form of insurance. It has to stay outside my flat, the management have told me the next time it's inside, they'll cut the lock off for me :(

Soldato
Stumpy looks lovely!

My bikes all boxed and ready to fly!

Spent hours getting every bit of grease/grim out of the cassette and all the nooks and crannys.

Soldato
I think I might have killed it:

sx_hub.jpg

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom