The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Soldato
Haha, it seems I have inadvertently also provoked a public apology from Manga UK over on facebook following the whole Spice and Wolf comment and other people jumping in :D
Edit: Andi - dropped you an email in trust, hoping you're able to confirm if something is what I think it is as I don't want to spam retailer links all over the place :)

Last edited:
Associate
By the time they release it is likely to be over two years (original DVD release was Dec '09).

If they'd licensed it then and said they were going to release in # months then I might of waited but I'm not going to re-buy it from them given their track record, (and I've double dipped on the BD release anyway)

It's a quandary isn't it? On the one hand you don't want to reward them for their incompetence, laziness and just general slowpoke-edness, on the other hand you KNOW that if it doesn't sell well they'll just say "oh there's no market for anime in the UK" and just stop lisencing stuff.

Personally, since I think market segmentation is immoral, I would choose to support the first edition that has subs in any language I can read, wherever it happened to be published, because I think the sooner we move to a global market for stuff like that rather than the current per-region model, the better.

Soldato
Quick random question
Just been watching a series that has a clock timer in the corner ;)
says 7.00 so I gather that was the time it was aired in Japan,would that be 7 am or 7 pm?
What time do animé shows generally air in Japan?

Cheers Saitrix :)

Last edited:
Associate
Well I'm not a hardcore anime watcher like most guys in this thread but I certainly enjoy it. If you like Naruto then its pretty much a given you will like Bleach imo.
Cheers
icon14.gif

@Dagwood
Sorry I don't tend to check out really long shows in the shounen area, but Full Metal Alchemist might be worth a shot. Although I've not seen Brotherhood yet, I understand both series do some things better. Brotherhood basically being a retelling that doesn't diverge from the manga about half way.
Thanks for that, I'll check them out.

Soldato
Watched the 3 rd K-on dvd this afternoon
The English dub of `my love is a stapler`is just as bad as the song dubbed on disc 2.:D
Karaoke night singers could have done better,and only 3 eps on the dvd :(
Cheapskate publisher is getting like the Japanese companies
By my calculations i think there is only 1 episode left,are they going to sell a dvd with only 1 episode for full price i wonder ? :(

Soldato
Watched the 3 rd K-on dvd this afternoon
The English dub of `my love is a stapler`is just as bad as the song dubbed on disc 2.:D
Karaoke night singers could have done better,and only 3 eps on the dvd :(
Cheapskate publisher is getting like the Japanese companies
By my calculations i think there is only 1 episode left,are they going to sell a dvd with only 1 episode for full price i wonder ? :(

Yep the dubbed music video was pretty bad again :)

The splitting of episodes over a singles release is likely to have been a licensor requirement rather than Bandai's choice. If it was like a Japanese release you'd be looking at 1 or 2 episodes per volume and a £60 price point.

Disk 4 should have 3 episodes, giving a 4-4-3-3 split, as the series is 13 episodes and there is an OVA (New Year's episode) associated with season 1.

edit:

Mutter Media Blasters and their cheap-*** cases. Received my copy of Squid Girl Part 1 earlier ... disk 1 is very badly scratched and will need replacing. h for things to be shipped in M-locks ...

Last edited:
Associate
Disk 4 should have 3 episodes, giving a 4-4-3-3 split, as the series is 13 episodes and there is an OVA (New Year's episode) associated with season 1.

The main series is 12 episodes with one bonus episode and the OVA

Mutter Media Blasters and their cheap-*** cases. Received my copy of Squid Girl Part 1 earlier ... disk 1 is very badly scratched and will need replacing. h for things to be shipped in M-locks ...

Tell me about it as both of the discs in my set were floating and seriously scratched, but at least their still playable (maybe they should quality control the cases they use).

Soldato
Tell me about it as both of the discs in my set were floating and seriously scratched, but at least their still playable (maybe they should quality control the cases they use).

My disk two, somehow, stayed on the hub so is ok. I didn't even try playing the first disk ... it was that badly scratched up. Reading around a lot of people have had issues with this release and disks which have been damaged due to the poor hubs.

I have already contacted my vendor and shipped back the disk 1 at lunch time for replacement and they say that they have already complained back to the publisher that the cases are substandard and are causing returns. Hopefully I should get a replacement disk by the end of the week.

Commissario
OP
Unfortunately from what the distributors have said in the past unless they specify a certain case type (and pay for it), they tend to be at the mercy of what the replication facility has on hand.

Nozomi used to specify M-lock because TRSI had first hand knowledge of how much poor cases cost in returns (unlike most of the distributors where the returns people didn't speak to those who chose the packaging, or where ignored), but i think even they have stopped now due to the cost, and the fact that they're now mainly using thinpacks for the new releases which don't tend to be quite as bad as a lot of the full size cases.

Soldato
Two that I have on order are:

Freedom Project

and

TO: 2001 nights

Both are looking good, cant wait to get them :)

Stelly

Ahh ... the Cup noodle advert ;) (Freedom was a promotional project for Nissan Cup Noodles 35th Anniversary). I have the previous BD release and it's a pretty good watch.

TO: 2001 Nights ... I have seen this and it was ok, although personally I prefer my animation to be less CGI-ey.

Don
Ahh ... the Cup noodle advert ;) (Freedom was a promotional project for Nissan Cup Noodles 35th Anniversary). I have the previous BD release and it's a pretty good watch.

TO: 2001 Nights ... I have seen this and it was ok, although personally I prefer my animation to be less CGI-ey.

I know that you mean, CGI-ey does annoy me but there is nothing that I can watch at the moment that I have not already seen with sci-fi... its annoying how much sci-fi and cyber punk stuff is not around... its like no one wants it :(

Stelly

Soldato
Oooo nice; Sentai/Section23 solicitations for January indicate (amongst other things) that they will be releasing season 1 of The World God Only Knows on BD and Ef ~ A Tale of Memories on BD as well ... both with a dub if you are that way inclined.

The latter of these is something I have been hoping would be licensed for ages, (it was one of the first series I imported the Japanese release). It's nice to see it getting a BD treatment at last.

Soldato
Gonna sound like a stupid question; but what's Ef actually about, in rough terms that won't spoil it.

I don't want to wade through, say, Wiki and run into a truck ton of spoilers which I've accidentally done before! I've seen enough positive mentions about it to be interested if it's arriving in the west on BD (and doesn't cost silly money)

TWGOK is a solid 'meh' from me, it's one of those few series I found unlikeable enough I skipped large chunks and basically dropped (I hate not finishing shows), from memory I just couldn't get on with how much of an ass the 'protagonist' was.

Last edited:
Associate
Just watched the first episode of the new Last Exile series.

Me like :).

SPOILERS AHEAD!

I'm very interested to see whats happening in terms of the overall plot what with Exile appearing in the first episode, Dio appearing, and Dio mentioning Sophia from the previous series.

The animation has certainly gone up a notch in the years since the first series aired, the opening animation looks pretty damn nice.

The characters seem decent enough so far, and Range Murata character designs are always a joy to watch in action.

I definitely think this wil be the best show of the season in terms of production quality.

Soldato
Gonna sound like a stupid question; but what's Ef actually about, in rough terms that won't spoil it.

I don't want to wade through, say, Wiki and run into a truck ton of spoilers which I've accidentally done before! I've seen enough positive mentions about it to be interested if it's arriving in the west on BD (and doesn't cost silly money)

TWGOK is a solid 'meh' from me, it's one of those few series I found unlikeable enough I skipped large chunks and basically dropped (I hate not finishing shows), from memory I just couldn't get on with how much of an ass the 'protagonist' was.

I't been a while since I was it but there are reasonable high level single paragraph overviews (which don't give to much away) of Ef season 1 on ANN and MyAnimeList. (I Googled ef memories to get direct links to them). The Wikipedia page seems to talk mostly about the original visual novel and goes into quite a bit of detail.

I thought that TWGOK was a reasonable mid-tier series ... nothing special but it it wasn't exactly bad. I haven't got around to watching the second season yet.

Just watched the first episode of the new Last Exile series.

Me like :).

SPOILERS AHEAD!

I'm very interested to see whats happening in terms of the overall plot what with Exile appearing in the first episode, Dio appearing, and Dio mentioning Sophia from the previous series.

The animation has certainly gone up a notch in the years since the first series aired, the opening animation looks pretty damn nice.

The characters seem decent enough so far, and Range Murata character designs are always a joy to watch in action.

I definitely think this wil be the best show of the season in terms of production quality.

Not seen it yet but looking forward to it.

This week I have mostly been re-watching Aoi Hana, which is a nice little series about confused girls (for the most part) and started a re-watch of A Channel, (although as both were subbed and I was doing other things at the same time I admit I wasn't paying much attention to either, but knew that was likely hence the re-watches).

Also watched the second episode of the Tamayura series, (the OVAs from last year appear to sit between episodes 1 and 2 of the series), which was good and continues the nice laid back feel. In a lot of ways this title has the same "feel" as A__a, i.e. very laid back slice of life, with a younger cast.

edit: My copy of the Oreimo box set has come this morning ... looks like it is a very nice little set (pity it's not BD though).

Last edited:
Associate
Oooo nice; Sentai/Section23 solicitations for January indicate (amongst other things) that they will be releasing season 1 of The World God Only Knows on BD and Ef ~ A Tale of Memories on BD as well ... both with a dub if you are that way inclined.

Well it looks like all my money for January has now been spent since I already have the Kimi ni Todoke DVD/BD set and the B Gata H Kei DVD/BD set on pre-order (and I'll have a multi region BD player by then so I don't have to worry about any region locks on the BD's)

And to add injury to insult manga have announced that welcome to the space show won't be released until July next year because of the dub.

Soldato
Ouch, UP have listed the Puella Magi Madoka Magica releases for next year. Appears to have typically painful Aniplex pricing with the straight BD release being £38 and the LE being £72 per volume. (TRSI is probably cheaper but of course they don't ship to a non-credit card address).

As much as I would like the LE's there's no way I can justify £72 for a four episode volume ... I didn't like the series that much.

Back
Top Bottom