Such thing as a budget performance tyre?

Caporegime
I've currently got a set of Dunlop Fast Response 2's on the front of my GTi-6 and I can't fault them at all. Grippy in the dry (although I don't push the front hugely, always a little wary of the back coming round!!) and fine in the wet too. We'll see how they are when it snows as I never got stuck with my old BF Goodrich Profiler 2's last winter.

Soldato
OP
Just to add..

Currently you get 25% off if you order 4 Hankook tyres at blackcircles, use the code Hankook25 at checkout, http://www.blackcircles.com/offers

I very much appreciate this and went to have a look but they only do the Ventus Prime in 195/55/16. They havent been mentioned here?

Edit sorry Skodamart did mention them and I read some reviews but it seems V12s are considered better but not available in my size it would seem

Total cost inc deliver is £228.90 would I be mental not to go for it? Its a £70 saving

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is that really the right size for OEM wheels on a T Sport? Looking at the tyres available in that size and they are all mid range stuff - even the Contis and Goodyears are Premium Contacts and EfficientGrips. No sport orientated tyres at all suggesting it's very much a Focus 1.6 style size rather than that for a near 200bhp car.

Soldato
OP
Thats because I really have a Focus 1.6. However there are plenty of performance tyres available in that size so not sure what you're getting at other than the usual

Anyone with any useful information on this particular tyre?

Don
I very much appreciate this and went to have a look but they only do the Ventus Prime in 195/55/16. They havent been mentioned here?

Edit sorry Skodamart did mention them and I read some reviews but it seems V12s are considered better but not available in my size it would seem

Total cost inc deliver is £228.90 would I be mental not to go for it? Its a £70 saving

+1 to what Fox said, does seem a weird tyre size..

That particular one you mentioned, this is the only review that pops up on tyre reviews.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Finnish-ECO-Touring-Tyre-Test.htm

Whilst it places 9/15, I can't say I like the sound of any of the tyres that it beats..

Might as well be last place if you ignore the other el'cheapo makes. Michelin Energy saver doesn't count.

The only Hankook's I'd go for (based one what I've read) are V12 Evo and S1 Evo

Soldato
V12 Evo's are great. I've had 2 sets on the ITR - only downside for me is that they are quite "soft" and wear a touch quicker than others.

I do drive pretty extreme roads though I suppose. :o

Man of Honour
Thats because I really have a Focus 1.6. However there are plenty of performance tyres available in that size so not sure what you're getting at other than the usual

Anyone with any useful information on this particular tyre?

Wow you really are hard work. It was a genuine comment. I've just been looking at Camskills stock list for that size and none of the premium brands had one of the sports range listed - only the mid range. No Potenza's, no Contisports, no Pilot Sports, no Eagle F1's - just the usual mid-range touring stuff. It must make picking a tyre quite hard.

Does it suck thinking everything is one huge conspiracy against you and that you are some sort of loan voice fighting against a world that doesnt love you or whatever complex it is you've got going on? I can't remember the last tiime you posted a thread and didnt get aggressive with everyone in it.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;20364932 said:
Wow you really are hard work. It was a genuine comment. I've just been looking at Camskills stock list for that size and none of the premium brands had one of the sports range listed - only the mid range. No Potenza's, no Contisports, no Pilot Sports, no Eagle F1's - just the usual mid-range touring stuff. It must make picking a tyre quite hard.

pro tip, its because relentlesslybadposter94's car is not genuinely sporty

Soldato
OP
I cant remember the last time I posted a thread where you didnt do your best to derail it

Black Circles 195/55/16 87V

Yokohama C.Drive 2
Continental Premium Contact 2
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Continental Premium Contact
Continental Premium Contact 2 SSR
Goodyear Efficient Grip
Goodyear Excellence
Bridgestone Turanza ER300
Yokohama E501 dB Super E-Spec
Pirelli P6 Cinturato
Michelin Primacy HP Zero Pressure

:confused:

LOL Fox and Herp Derp this is how we troll

Man of Honour
I cant remember the last time I posted a thread where you didnt do your best to derail it

I posted a comment about tyre size availability!?! How the heck is that derailing a thread about tyres?! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Black Circles 195/55/16 87V

Yokohama C.Drive 2
Continental Premium Contact 2
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Continental Premium Contact
Continental Premium Contact 2 SSR
Goodyear Efficient Grip
Goodyear Excellence
Bridgestone Turanza ER300
Yokohama E501 dB Super E-Spec
Pirelli P6 Cinturato
Michelin Primacy HP Zero Pressure

:confused:

LOL Fox and Herp Derp

You just proved me right. You've listed 11 tyres of which ONE is a performance orientated tyre. The rest are all the respective manufacturers mid-range/touring tyres! The one tyre you've found thats a performance tyre is a runflat anyway isn't it?

I can't believe it, you have a go and then post a list of tyres that exactly backs up what I was saying?!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20364779 said:
Is that really the right size for OEM wheels on a T Sport? Looking at the tyres available in that size and they are all mid range stuff - even the Contis and Goodyears are Premium Contacts and EfficientGrips. No sport orientated tyres at all suggesting it's very much a Focus 1.6 style size rather than that for a near 200bhp car.

195/50/16 has the SportContact2 available, though the surrounding range is massively depleted compared to when I looked at this size last year, there were loads of stuff, including stupidly priced PilotSports IIRC.

Man of Honour
They are all Premium rated tyres

Bridgestone Potenza, Michelin Primacy HP Zero Pressure, Pirelli P6 Cinturato and Yokohama E501 dB Super E-Spec are mid range!?

Wow this is hard.

Each manufacturer - especially the premium ones - has a RANGE of tyres. A PRODUCT RANGE.

This range contains all types of tyres. Eco tyres at the bottom suited for small town cars. The middle of the range then contains general and touring tyres - the sort of thing you'd fit to family cars, etc etc. They are aimed at longevity, low noise on the Motorway, comfort, fuel economy - the sort of thing that matters to people fitting tyres to a diesel Focus or similar. Then at the top of the range you get performance and ultra high performance - for performance cars.

My point, which I made hugely clear right at the start, was that none of the premium manufacturers seem to offer any of the sport orientated tyres in this size. Infact the Potenza RE050A is the only one. The rest are all the respective manufacturers mid-range touring tyres.

Yes, they are 'mid range'. They are the middle of that manufacturers range.

Just wow.

All I did was express suprise that a hot hatch would be on that size tyre. You've gone way off the handle, as per usual.

Soldato
They are all Premium rated tyres

They're not the sport focussed options though, which is his point.

It does seem odd that they'd give a 200bhp car a standard tyre size where the major brands don't offer a sport oriented tyre.

I would take his suggestion and double check that 195/55/16 is in fact the standard size for your car.

My Golf GTI has 16" wheels and the standard size on mine is 195/50/16, so it's worth checking I would say, just in case someone who owned the car before you cheaped out and put on a slightly different size to the original fitted size.

Soldato
OP
Well you were wrong then werent you. Now why dont you go and merk someone elses thread. I'm trying to decide on tyres and you are as always doing your best to make it as difficult as possible.

Stating the tyres available for my car is similar to a 1.6 Focus is nothing more than looking for a reaction

Kenai, they are I checked the manual

Back
Top Bottom