Ice Cream Sandwich running on HTC Desire!!!

Soldato
I'm confused...what does this actually mean for ICS on Desire? It's working now? It'll definitely work eventually? It'll work but be slow? It might not work at all? I'm not sure what an SDK port means.

Soldato
I'm confused...what does this actually mean for ICS on Desire? It's working now? It'll definitely work eventually? It'll work but be slow? It might not work at all? I'm not sure what an SDK port means.

It means nothing and isn't really worth discussing or getting excited about.

Each Android SDK release comes with an emulator that allows developers to test their applications on, these files only contain the requires files to get the emulator to run on the relevant platform i.e. Windows, Linux or Mac and to allow compiled applications to run.

That's why most of the critical phone features do not work when simply porting the SDK, such as touch screen, camera/video etc.

As per every AOSP release for phones that are not identical to Google experience phones (ala Nexus One, Nexus S and Nexus Galaxy), ICS will take a long time to get 100% functional.

Soldato
The Desire is identical to the Nexus One though so if there is an update for that then the Desire won't be far behind on 100% working roms.

When and if the Nexus One gets ICS, the source will have been release by then and CM/Oxygen/Dev Null will be compiled from that. There is zero point to these SDK ports, they'll never get a working ROM from them and they're not key to the development of ICS running on phones

Associate
OP
When and if the Nexus One gets ICS, the source will have been release by then and CM/Oxygen/Dev Null will be compiled from that. There is zero point to these SDK ports, they'll never get a working ROM from them and they're not key to the development of ICS running on phones

There is of course a point to a SDK port. The first being, for me anyway, that I get to experience most of the awesome new features in ICS most likely around 1-2 months before any working release of CM/Oxygen/Dev Null comes out.

The second being that any worries before that my beloved Desire could be too underpowered or perhaps not have some special new hardware to run ICS are now gone.

Soldato
There is of course a point to a SDK port. The first being, for me anyway, that I get to experience most of the awesome new features in ICS most likely around 1-2 months before any working release of CM/Oxygen/Dev Null comes out.

The second being that any worries before that my beloved Desire could be too underpowered or perhaps not have some special new hardware to run ICS are now gone.

You get to experience the new UI, whilst it's a better UI than any previous Android iteration, it's not one of 4.0's awesome features. If you could experience Android Beam, Panoramic camera and face detection unlock then I would agree.

Camera, WiFi, SDCard and Radio do not work - hardly seems like a good experience to me.

As per every Android version, there's two hardware minimums, one being the phone is based on ARM architecture and the device's ROM is large enough in size. As Google have already said, any device running Gingerbread (which does officially include the Desire seeing as HTC released an RUU) should be able to run ICS.

This is something you would flash to your phone and play with for 30 minutes before flashing back unless your Desire isn't your daily phone because it simply isn't good enough to run as a daily ROM.

Associate
OP
You get to experience the new UI, whilst it's a better UI than any previous Android iteration, it's not one of 4.0's awesome features. If you could experience Android Beam, Panoramic camera and face detection unlock then I would agree.

Camera, WiFi, SDCard and Radio do not work - hardly seems like a good experience to me.

As per every Android version, there's two hardware minimums, one being the phone is based on ARM architecture and the device's ROM is large enough in size. As Google have already said, any device running Gingerbread (which does officially include the Desire seeing as HTC released an RUU) should be able to run ICS.

This is something you would flash to your phone and play with for 30 minutes before flashing back unless your Desire isn't your daily phone because it simply isn't good enough to run as a daily ROM.

Well I suppose that they features are of your own opinion, however personally I find face detection and android beam gimmicky and useless features.

However as the desire does not have a front facing camera the face detection becomes even more pointless, not to mention all the problems that would cause it to malfunction like alterations to your appearance, such as growing a beard or different make-up, or poor lighting conditions.

Also android beam wouldn't be possible as there is no NFC chip inside. So the only features the desire has to look forward to from Oxygen/CM etc is the new interface and improved apps, like the panorama camera.

Back
Top Bottom