Bought a 2500K, ASrock Ex4Gen3 and NH-D14 - really disappointed

Soldato
Following these settings i had my first attempt OC'ing my 2500k. I started at 4.2ghz with a 1.3vcore and it passed IBT on 25 runs set to Very High. I was pleased but also disappointed that the hottest core reached 71c. Especially since i seem to suffer from bad vdroop with the vcore never getting close to the 1.3v i set in bios (it was more like 1.22, sometimes lower).

I decided to have a go at running IBT again this time at 4.4ghz and the vcore set to 1.325v. After just a few seconds i got the following BSOD;

10pdkcy.jpg

I'll admit that i'm a novice at OC'ing but after spending a good deal of money on said chip, mobo and cooler i'm pretty disappointed by my initial attempts.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Soldato
you should start by changing the llc, phase and duty settings, these can kill most of the vdroop.

a better novice approach may be to run an auto oc and take it from there.

edit: oh and CPU comparability if the mobo has such feature

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well after removing the Noctua to see if re-seating it might help drop the temps a little i noticed the base had two noticeable marks on it. I've managed to convince them (another shop) to take it back even though it may well have been me who caused them.

I'll probably get a Silver Arrow as a replacement whenever they finally appear. Unless i lose heart in which case i might get something else in £35 bracket. Once i have a new cooler i'll re-attempt my OC.

Soldato
Unless you have dropped it or dragged it along something I doubt it would have been caused by you. No marks in the chip then I take it?

I wouldn't hold your breath for a silver arrow, they've been on back order for some weeks now. What sort of clock speed are you aiming for overall? This could help decide what cooler to get...

Soldato
OP
I was hoping to the get 4.6-4.8 which is why i went for a high end cooler. A couple of competitor sites have SA's in stock but with their postage fees they end up being a good bit more expensive than OCUK.

As for my CPU there are no marks on it that match the ones on the Noctua.

Soldato
4.6 should be easily done on a £35 cooler, for 4.8 you might need to look a little higher, see helios, he should be able to point you in the right direction :)

Soldato
Following these settings i had my first attempt OC'ing my 2500k. I started at 4.2ghz with a 1.3vcore and it passed IBT on 25 runs set to Very High. I was pleased but also disappointed that the hottest core reached 71c. Especially since i seem to suffer from bad vdroop with the vcore never getting close to the 1.3v i set in bios (it was more like 1.22, sometimes lower).

I decided to have a go at running IBT again this time at 4.4ghz and the vcore set to 1.325v. After just a few seconds i got the following BSOD;

I'll admit that i'm a novice at OC'ing but after spending a good deal of money on said chip, mobo and cooler i'm pretty disappointed by my initial attempts.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

I have the same cpu, board and HSF. I followed the same settings and had to up my Vcore to 1.385 to get it stable at idle.

I used to get the BSOD error 124.

All chips are different and require tweaking. I don't know what my temps are, but I aint seen a BSOD yet and I've been playing WoW on it.

Associate
I was hoping to the get 4.6-4.8 which is why i went for a high end cooler. A couple of competitor sites have SA's in stock but with their postage fees they end up being a good bit more expensive than OCUK.

As for my CPU there are no marks on it that match the ones on the Noctua.

you can auto overclock that board to 4.8ghz just by choosing it in the bios :)

Soldato
OP
I thought the auto OC setting in the bios was best avoided because it pumps the chip with too much vcore.

Also, on the product page for the chip it says the memory should be run at 1.5v. My Corsair stuff is 1.35 and im wondering if thats a problem?

Associate
I thought the auto OC setting in the bios was best avoided because it pumps the chip with too much vcore.

Also, on the product page for the chip it says the memory should be run at 1.5v. My Corsair stuff is 1.35 and im wondering if thats a problem?

it will be when overclocking if you keep it at the voltage
my vengence is rated at 1.5v but any clock over 5 ghz for me needs it at 1.65v otherwise it dont want to know

also the pre oc setting is a good starting point, see what it sets it at and work backwards to see how low you can get the voltages on manual

Soldato
Take a look in the Extreme 3 Gen3 thread in the motherboard section mate for some pointers ;)

I'm in the same boat - bloomin temps are off the chart when overclocked :( - Think it might be this board pumping nearly 1.8v into PPL thingy!

Associate
error 101 on that BSOD usually indicates you need more vcore.
But as someone else mentioned you may want to look at the load line options on your board too, as if it droops then that could also cause the same issue.

Memory wise i would set at its rating voltage until you start going above 4.8Ghz+ there should be no need to overvolt it.

Generally a vcore of 1.365-1.385 is usual for a most "K" 4.6Ghz overclocks.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice chaps. I wont be able to give it another shot until i get a new cooler but i'll bump this thread when i do.

I open to cooler suggestions as well. Anything up to £50.

It maybe worth trying to overclock using the offset voltage mode in bios.I managed to get my 2600K (HT enabled) voltage down to 1.25v @ 4.5Ghz.

I'll give it a go. Thanks

it will be when overclocking if you keep it at the voltage
my vengence is rated at 1.5v but any clock over 5 ghz for me needs it at 1.65v otherwise it dont want to know

also the pre oc setting is a good starting point, see what it sets it at and work backwards to see how low you can get the voltages on manual

When i chose this RAM i did so under the impression that RAM that ran at low volts was a good thing? :confused:

Associate
When i chose this RAM i did so under the impression that RAM that ran at low volts was a good thing? :confused:

It is a good thing but your asking it to keep up with an overclocked CPU so it wants more volts to do this at a certain stage of the process, trick is to find out when and by now much

Soldato
OP
It is a good thing but your asking it to keep up with an overclocked CPU so it wants more volts to do this at a certain stage of the process, trick is to find out when and by now much

Is there any particular way of knowing when an OC is failing due to low vcore in the RAM as opposed to the CPU?

Back
Top Bottom