• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Updating sapphire 5870 drivers

Associate
Right guys i bought a pc from overclockers last year and i chose the sapphire HD5870 1GB GDDR5, i want to upgarde the drivers and as i have never done this before i was wanting to ask some advice, i have downloaded the latest from the sapphire website and they are Catalyst Software Suite which includes .....

Catalyst Software Suite 11.9 Package Includes:
Display Driver
OpenCL Driver
ATI Integrated Driver
Catalyst Control Center
(English Language Only)

Is this correct and should i just install over the top or remove old drivers, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Man of Honour
Further to above, download DriverSweeper as well before uninstalling old drivers. Also create your own restore point.

After you've uninstalled old driver from Catalyst suite, you'll be asked to reboot.

When rebooted, run driver sweeper and select AMD, run clean then reboot when done.

You'll return to Windows in standard VGA mode so don't worry about this... Just run the install from the download driver then another reboot.

Caporegime
Don't run driversweeper. The AMD uninstaller works just fine.

This.

Only did I use other programs to help on the odd, rare occasion. In those instances it was actually useful, though whether I was partly to blame to start with I don't know, but probably not.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's just not needed anymore, I've not used it for years. Then there was the issue with it hosing your Win 7 OS install, fixed now apparently (it removed more files than it should, which stopped the new driver install finding your graphics card).

But most of the time I just install over the top. But best to uninstall.

Man of Honour
Available now from all good stockists:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU124AMDCat1110PreDriverV3.aspx

I had to load these yesterday to get Rage working correctly.

Driver sweeper is just not neccessary.

Dont you think AMD would write it in to the unistaller if it was neccessary?

You would think so but Sweeper last night removed a dozen or so items not removed by the uninstaller. Personal preference I guess and doesn't take more than a few moments to run.

Soldato
Available now from all good stockists:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU124AMDCat1110PreDriverV3.aspx

I had to load these yesterday to get Rage working correctly.

You would think so but Sweeper last night removed a dozen or so items not removed by the uninstaller. Personal preference I guess and doesn't take more than a few moments to run.

A lot of those things are Configs and custom pre-sets ,so that you don't have to redo them next time you install the drivers but an option to remove them should be available.

Back
Top Bottom