Wedding photographers

Soldato
I never really saw the point of putting a price on; not everyone have the same requirement for their photography needs and not everyone wants the same thing - especially the weddings I've done. Although I see the convenience and allows for photographer to be banded within a certain price range, leaving it open and quoted to the needs based on 'amount of work' is best IMO.

I mean, which is harder work? A couple looking to do minimal group shots and a lot of posed couple shots or a couple wanting just a couple of 'romantic' style shots but a list longer than your arm of group shots? That's my take on advertising prices anyway.

Soldato
I never really saw the point of putting a price on; not everyone have the same requirement for their photography needs and not everyone wants the same thing - especially the weddings I've done. Although I see the convenience and allows for photographer to be banded within a certain price range, leaving it open and quoted to the needs based on 'amount of work' is best IMO.

I mean, which is harder work? A couple looking to do minimal group shots and a lot of posed couple shots or a couple wanting just a couple of 'romantic' style shots but a list longer than your arm of group shots? That's my take on advertising prices anyway.

Yeah im priced toward the lower end of the spectrum but having no prices on may make people think im expensive, iv done....cant remember now, 8 weddings I think and I still feel I should charge less than others until im totally confident with it/producing god like results 100% of the time, I know im getting excellent results a lot of the time but I would charge 'proper pricing' when I get jaw dropping results on 99% of all the shots I get on the day (total) and obviously id remove the handful of shots from the 1% that are not up to standard while still delivering 100's of photos to the customer at my own '100%' quality level, but thats just the bar I set myself and wouldnt want it any other way.

Associate
OP
I've been looking at a lot of sites recently and to be honest unless somebody's work really takes my fancy I have taken the automatic assumption that no price on site means ££££. Having said that I also agree that everybody wants something different for the wedding. A lot of people include starting the day with photos of the bride getting ready, my girlfriend didn't seem impressed at all of somebody wondering around taking her photos whilst she's stressed out getting ready haha. Some people charge a few hundred for their services and then a few hundred more for say 50 photos, and then a few hundred more to have a cd with the rest of the photos from the day. Extras such as several hundred to put some select photos into a special hard copy album etc etc. Prices seem all over the places and a lot seem to have adopted the 'add a 0 on the end because its for a wedding' approach.

I'm just after someone who is genuine about what they do, wants to take the best photos they can, let us have the photos and charge a fair amount for it. Too many people that take mundane photos and try and squeeze extra money out of people at every stage they can

Soldato
I've been looking at a lot of sites recently and to be honest unless somebody's work really takes my fancy I have taken the automatic assumption that no price on site means ££££. Having said that I also agree that everybody wants something different for the wedding. A lot of people include starting the day with photos of the bride getting ready, my girlfriend didn't seem impressed at all of somebody wondering around taking her photos whilst she's stressed out getting ready haha. Some people charge a few hundred for their services and then a few hundred more for say 50 photos, and then a few hundred more to have a cd with the rest of the photos from the day. Extras such as several hundred to put some select photos into a special hard copy album etc etc. Prices seem all over the places and a lot seem to have adopted the 'add a 0 on the end because its for a wedding' approach.

I'm just after someone who is genuine about what they do, wants to take the best photos they can, let us have the photos and charge a fair amount for it. Too many people that take mundane photos and try and squeeze extra money out of people at every stage they can

Yeah fair point I'll change my website today, I do the entire day/everything for 595, I'll write it here as its going to be on my website anyways.

Caporegime

That's exactly why I have my prices stated on my website tbh.

Soldato
Ben, where are you based?

Mr Scary Squirrel, I didn't get your reply yesterday evening

Midlands and North Wales, but I travel anywhere for weddings in the UK, if its over 200 miles I normally ask 35 or so to cover fuel, but it looks like you around brum/oxford so its not very far from staffs. Have sent you a PM did you get it ?

Associate
OP
If you meant my trust email address, I've just noticed that it was an old university address I don't have access to any more. I've updated it you can re-send the messages.

Sorry about that and thanks!

Soldato
I don't have 'set' prices on my site, but not because I whack the prices up or anything, because people want completely different things. Some don't want an album, some do. Some don't want shots on CD, some want just a few and the rest printed. I have basic package prices, and they can basically pick and mix what they want.

Although I'm surprised by her not wanting the 'getting ready' shots - It's very unusual in my experience for someone not to have those - as they usually turn out to be some of the favourite ones. This is especially true for the bride because you get pictures of the details on the shoes, on the dress, the rings, the jewellery, the laughs in the morning getting ready etc that you just don't get in outside light with all the fuss of the day. Really adds to the anticipation and excitement. I'd feel I was letting the client down if I didn't do those kind of shots!

Caporegime
You will find that the full time wedding photographers who are in demand will not only provide a price, but also a breakdown on what you get. Why?

1 - they get more queries than they can book, the price will straight away remove those that are not in their target audience

This immediately saves a lot of time in correspondence.

2 - cheaper does not immediately means more clients. There are people out there who will pay for good service. There are people who will only look at photographers above certain price point. They see it as quality control, or even status symbol, or a better photographer simply because he cost more (not necessarily true but people do do this). Charging less might translate more enquiry, however, it doesn't mean less work. I provide the same level of service I do now as I did in my first wedding.

I don't do the hours thing, as in finish at 6pm for a less priced package but you can hire me for the reception for longer. I don't do that as it is not like I could shoot another wedding after the first one. So I budget package for the entire day. What you get at the end is a beginning, middle and end. A story in photos.

And you'll be surprise how often people are surprised I am still there at midnight.

Soldato
Agree completely Raymond. The last wedding I did, I started at 11am left at 1am the next morning!!

I saw one of your albums on Saturday, and the digital images for another, and they are MORE than worth the prices you charge. I'm constantly amazed people seem to think that photographers are really expensive what you get and the work that goes into it.

People pay plumbers more for buying a £10 piece of plastic and taking half an hour to fit it, even if it's something they could source and fit themselves. But for some reason, that's ok, whereas paying for capturing memories for a whole event and all that goes with that seems to have a far less valuable price on it.

Associate
OP
My 'adding and extra 0 on the end of prices because its a wedding' wasn't meant as a general statement to everyone, but definitely applies to a good amount of the photographers I have looked at over the past month or so. It is staggering the different quality that you can find in pretty much the same price brackets. I think a lot of people who now own a DSLR think they are capable, I've been a photographer for several years but know where my limits rest, I've turned down people asking me about weddings because I'm aware of what is involved.

I don't come in here too often these days but Raymond you were one of the guys that I knew of and had seen plenty of your work before to vouch for quality. I did drop you an email at the end of August, unfortunately your basic package was out of our league, but I appreciate it reflects the work you put in.

Anyway if anybody who had tried to email me before wants to I have updated my trust details.

Thanks

Soldato
Sorry, I wasn't meaning you OP, just in general. Everyone has a budget, obviously, just some people seem aghast when you say the prices and don't appreciate it takes a lot of time and effort to get it right! I hope you find someone perfect for your big day!

Back
Top Bottom