Popping the question...

Associate
agree with above, would ask her father def and get a temp ring (making sure you let her know she can pick one out over the weekend etc she likes) in the mean time, this way its all covered!

Associate
I didnt ask the father hand (although I wish I had out of courtesy). I didnt get a ring either as the proposal was a bit off the cuff.

Valentines Day 2007 (been together 6 years at that point). She books a Travel lodge near our houses as we are both living with parents and we go to Little Chef for dinner.

I walk in after a days work...
Me: Hi
Her Hey
Me: Just thinking...we should get married....
Her: :eek:
Me: :eek:
Her: Ok,
Me: Lets go and get a ring tomorrow

Next day - go shopping for the ring. She picked.

Easy ;) Now married for 3 years with our little boy turning 2 on 5th Nov.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Been engaged for 5 years now with my wife to be :)

Getting married in may 2012 \o/

bank balance has no idea what's going on now :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't been proposed to yet but my other half says he plans on asking both my dad and stepdad (he's been married to mum since I was 3 and I've grown up with him as a second dad). Think he's more scared about asking dad than asking me!

Its a terrifying experience. Karyns dad looked confused and then asked me whether i thought she'd even say yes!

Luckily her mum was overjoyed

Lololol, I'm sure she wouldn't find out about that :o.

Depends on how you ask. I normally find saying things like "you're the only one that knows, so if she finds out it must have come from you" is a good way to start those sorts of conversations.

That or "tell anyone and I'll post you back to your loved one in pieces", but I presume that wouldn't go down so well given the topic. Nobody likes to marry a psychopath, I guess.

Associate
Just for future reference, is the mother an acceptible compromise?
My girl doesnt really get on with her dad / doesnt see him much, and always stayed with her mum.

But the mum would be able to not tell here lmao.

Soldato
Absolutely ask her father.
I got engaged September 2nd in Paris. Planned to do it, but not exactly where and when.
Asked her mum and dad a few nights before. Her dad was very appreciative that i asked. Her mum let me use her nan's 85 year old gold/platinum engagement ring to give her.
So, the saturday in Paris in a little Italian restaurant, the timing felt right. She was over the moon.
Went shopping the following week and got her a ring of her choosing and gav her mum her nan's ring back. (which has been willed to my fiancee anyway)
You should only expect to get married once....so get it right!

Good luck buddy. :)

Man of Honour
Definitely ask the father or brother or whoever the is head of the household really.

I think there's nothing wrong with not getting "the" ring and getting one that she wants together or letting her choose and you get it for her in due course - and to make sure you get the right ring size too! However, if she has been dropping hints, or has an idea of what she likes and doesn't then it's up to you to pick up on the hints! (Something I'm bad at too :p).

Good luck and congrats (assuming it goes well!) :)

Associate
My other half didn't ask my dad, we dont speak often or see each other much though, he was not bothered about not being asked, he is just happy that I am happy!

The engagement ring was chosen totally by the other half, he had a little help from my best friend but she only told him what she thought i would think. He exceeded my expectations by miles and she kept it a secret from me really well.

Good luck for the weekend :D

Soldato
I made a point of asking her dad before I proposed to the future Mrs Schumi84, unfortunately it wasn't easy to do face to face as he lives in her birthtown of Halifax 220miles away.

Even when he came down to visit there never seemed to be a good time to do it, so in the end had to give him a phonecall to ask him.

Apparently he thought it was very decent of me to do that, so I reckon you will definitely earn some brownie points if you do ask the father first :)

I proposed Christmas day last year, in my pyjamas :p

Back
Top Bottom