New tv 50"?

Soldato
Hi all

I've not kept up with recent tech that much so need some advice!

Looking to replace my 3 year old 37" panasonic plasma tv (720p) with a new one.

We will be sat about 5.5/6ft from the TV so I was thinking 50" max, maybe a 47?

Tv will be used for sky HD/blu ray and ps3 gaming.

My budget is around £550-£650. Is it possible to get a decent tv for this, if not how much are we talking? £700?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Soldato
I wouldn't go entry level on 50". Unless a cheap tv gets amazing reviews then fine but if you want a decent picture and you would be upset if it wasn't then you got to be going mid level at least. Wait another month and then buy, you'll probly have the tv for 5years.

Caporegime
I wouldn't go entry level on 50". Unless a cheap tv gets amazing reviews then fine but if you want a decent picture and you would be upset if it wasn't then you got to be going mid level at least. Wait another month and then buy, you'll probly have the tv for 5years.

The LG PK590 was touching 1k when it first came out, and that has a very good picture and colours, freeview HD, 4x HDMIs etc.

This set can now be had for around £550 at the moment.

Caporegime
Mine has been fantastic, got two on release week everyone was so impressed my parents and one mate also purchased one a few weeks later.

For £500 - £550 i think it's an amazing amount of tv for the cash.

Soldato
Hopefully this is not scaremongering- whatever you do make sure you get a 5 year warranty.

I have an LG which I adore and has a great picture (50PS3000). Pretty much 18 months after purchase, the capacitors had all dried up and the set broke.

From research, this seems to be a common problem with all large televisions (including Panasonic). I expect more so with LG when they are trying to compete on quality with a lower price.

IMHO, LGs will have a tremendous quality of picture at a lower price but buyers should be aware of potential problems in the future.

Caporegime
Hopefully this is not scaremongering- whatever you do make sure you get a 5 year warranty.

I have an LG which I adore and has a great picture (50PS3000). Pretty much 18 months after purchase, the capacitors had all dried up and the set broke.

From research, this seems to be a common problem with all large televisions (including Panasonic). I expect more so with LG when they are trying to compete on quality with a lower price.

IMHO, LGs will have a tremendous quality of picture at a lower price but buyers should be aware of potential problems in the future.

RS bought with 5 year warranty, even my Sony (bought from Sony) came with 5 year warranty, there isnt a TV out there that I'd buy without cover.

Andrew my advice would be simple mate, take a trip into town and have a good long hard look at each set you fancy , ask for the remotes and have a play with settings, only after reading up and testing in the flesh will you be able to make your mind up.

Associate
Panasonic Plasma is still the way to go imho at those sizes. Check out refurbished models (google is your friend). They come with 12 month Panasonic warranty and are significantly cheaper.

I still think you'll need to up your budget a bit though to get a decent spec one. If you want a 5 year warranty you will have to buy new and pay a lot more.

Soldato
OP
Yeh I'll make try get to a richer sounds. When I got my plasma a few reasons ago the reason was because the response time and general SD/HD picture was brighter and better on plasma, is this still the same or are LCD/plasma around the same now?

Caporegime
Yeh I'll make try get to a richer sounds. When I got my plasma a few reasons ago the reason was because the response time and general SD/HD picture was brighter and better on plasma, is this still the same or are LCD/plasma around the same now?

Response times for gaming will depend upon the TV itself rather than lcd / plasma so check this out online as the people instore might take offense if you get your controller out :D, as for everything else go have a look in store mate.

Associate
I am in exactly the same boat, about 600 to spend but I've just seen:

Panasonic Smart VIERA TX-P50G30B 50-inch HD Ready 600Hz Internet-Ready Plasma TV with Freeview HD Tuner

For £837 on that big river site. The reviews look nothing short of amazing.

Now I'm temped to live like a hermit for a month to afford this TV that I know will last.

On the other hand, for 699 you can pick up the latest LG LED 47LV550T

As far as I'm concerned, 3D is a waste of money :p

Soldato
OP
3D doesn't bother me at all. Not for a few years at least!

The problem with looking at TV's in store is that most of the big electrical stores are rubbish at setting them up or have them attached to crap equipment so you don't get a decent picture on each tv :p

That's why I like to go by what people on the inter webs say :p

Back
Top Bottom