Hillsborough Disaster

Don

The problem is you're choosing to believe bs.

This idea that it was caused by loads of ticketless fans trying to rush the gates has proven to be bs. Sheffield Wednesday provided data for the Taylor report where by they physically counted the amount of people that entered or attempted to enter the Leppings Lane; their counts came up with anywhere between 9,267 and 10,124 supporters, with the "best estimate" being 9,734. The capacity of the Leppings Lane end? 10,100. At worst, there were 24 more supporters than tickets however the likelihood was that less supporters were there.

This isn't an opinion, it's been proven to be true.

Soldato
Well chaps, we have our answers as to what kind of poster we have here. Just don't respond, easiest way. Wasting your time anyway, he doesn't want to be educated, he wants to believe his own version of events while accusing everyone else of doing the exact same thing.

Don
Well chaps, we have our answers as to what kind of poster we have here. Just don't respond, easiest way. Wasting your time anyway, he doesn't want to be educated, he wants to believe his own version of events while accusing everyone else of doing the exact same thing.

he won't be doing it again

Soldato
RIP the 96.

Sadly I don't think we will ever see the justice that the famlies want as despite there being a raft of mistakes assigning blame to individuals and then holding them resposible simply won't happen. The only thing I can see happening is the now dead Peter Wright being blamed (the buck almost inevitably stops with him anyway) but never standing trial which I can't see being the closure that some require.

Sadly the emotion that the mere mention of the disaster stirs up means even now all these years later we can't have a sensible debate about the re-introduction of safe standing areas at football matches something I'd love to see.

Caporegime
The findings of an investigation in to the Hillsborough disaster are released tomorrow and the front cover of The Independent claims police doctored evidence to avoid blame.

The Independent said:
A detailed picture of how the evidence of junior police officers present at the Hillsborough football disaster was systematically distorted can be revealed today, as an independent panel prepared to deliver the findings of the exhaustive investigation into the afternoon which claimed the lives of 96 fans.

The Independent has obtained four previously unpublished witness statements written by police constables, who were all on duty at the Leppings Lane end on the disastrous day of Liverpool’s FA Cup semi final with Nottingham Forest in 1989. They show how the documents, originally prepared for an internal inquiry, were altered prior to Lord Taylor’s official inquiry later that year to ensure that South Yorkshire Police emerged from the tragedy in a significantly more positive light.

The testimony of one constable, 31 year-old Martin McLoughlin, was crossed through so two paragraphs of criticises were entirely deleted. PC McLoughlin, who had nine years’ service with the force, described how police had “appeared to be a bit thin on the ground for the numbers of people involved” on the fateful afternoon of 15 April 1989. He also detailed how officers on duty at the stadium had a “poor supply of personal radios” when the catastrophic decision to allow fans to enter the Leppings Lane end through an exit gate led to many being...

Continued on Page 6.

Whatever information the documents hold I hope the families finally get the answers they've been looking for.

Don
Could not agree more , I haven't followed this 100% but its clear that people in authority truly ****ed up and should be held accountable.

It has already been determined that the authorities were to blame for the disaster, this report will hopefully prove once and for all that the police and government lied, doctored and destroyed evidence to protect themselves. Hopefully there will be enough new evidence so that those that squirmed their way out of trouble previously, can and will be prosecuted.

Here are a couple more of articles well worth a read:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/09/hillsborough-families-await-triumph-of-the-truth/

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/...olice-of-orchestrating-hillsborough-cover-up/

Soldato
It has already been determined that the authorities were to blame for the disaster, this report will hopefully prove once and for all that the police and government lied, doctored and destroyed evidence to protect themselves. Hopefully there will be enough new evidence so that those that squirmed their way out of trouble previously, can and will be prosecuted.

Here are a couple more of articles well worth a read:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/09/hillsborough-families-await-triumph-of-the-truth/

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/...olice-of-orchestrating-hillsborough-cover-up/

A stain on football’s character may be removed on Wednesday, but no one can feel good about the trail of ugly events that led us to this point. There are no winners here.

Alas that line last sentence is the truth

Man of Honour
To keep it simple, did the police effectively mismanage the crowd, which resulted in the deaths, and then they attempted to blame the fans for what happened?

Caporegime
Excuse my ignorance but why did the media, police and government all collude to cover it up? Why would either the government or media risk it and not let the police take the flak, when they had nothing to do with the event directly and it seems the police played their part?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Excuse my ignorance but why did the media, police and government all collude to cover it up? Why would either the government or media risk it and not let the police take the flak, when they had nothing to do with the event directly and it seems the police played their part?

Why would the media not lie and sensationalise it like they do with everything?
(Also going off first rumours they heard and jumping the gun I'd imagine.)

As for the police/government, I was only born in early 90's but football was considered to be in a much more hooligan like era, blaming the fans probably seemed easier than cleaning up the aftermath of pure negligence and failure by the authorities. And Thatcher hated working class

(I could be very wrong though.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom