Virtual php/mysql installations

Associate
Long story short, I have an idea I would like to develop, using a web interface, but with the server hosted locally on the users machine. Its would be used by non technical users, so it would need to install like a normal application, and then when run, would load the server and call up a browser and load the app.

I recall an application for eve online that was basically a local web host that you used via the in game browser, to calculate trade routes - its basically the same type of thing I want to do.

So, is there a virtual AMP that can be packaged with a web based application and provided for install? I've tried Google and source forge, but all the resources about installing servers is about configuring proper servers, which is no good for the target user base, as it needs to be pretty idiot proof.

Associate
OP
Actually, creating a portable version of xampp, setting up the web app and then creating an installers is close to the perfect solution - just need to find a way to get rid of the taskbar icon. Why didn't I think of that before? Thanks! :)

Soldato
Surely there's a more elegant, secure, and resource-friendly solution than running Apache and mySQL as services on users' machines?

Yes, the usual solution is to write a web application that serves up content on the local machine such as a Java servlet running in a lightweight container such as Jetty. You see applications such as SABnzbd (a binary newsreader) and many media streaming application operate in this way, coming bundled with some form of integrated server.

Back
Top Bottom