Subaru-powered Toyota FT-86 gets closer to production...

Soldato
Assuming these will be around £20-25K, then there could be a good business here for a tuner to install the turbocharged EJ20/EJ25 into it and sell it on for ~£30K. Someone tell Prodrive :)

*edit*
Or, according to Drexels' link, Subaru will do it themselves \o/

Doesn't look right with a wing though IMO.

Soldato
The thing with Subaru engines is they Swap very easy with one another. So it wouldnt take much to put in a Turbo engine:cool:

I imagine we may see a supercharger/turbocharger kit emerge for the standard engine.

*edit*

Well the Subaru version means Toyota will have to answer with something, bet their on the phone to Yamaha already ^^

Last edited:
Soldato
I imagine we may see a supercharger/turbocharger kit emerge for the standard engine.

*edit*

Well the Subaru version means Toyota will have to answer with something, bet their on the phone to Yamaha already ^^

I hope so too. Why Yamaha?

Isn't the G version the FT86 equivalent to Subaru's STI in this case?

Soldato
I hope so too. Why Yamaha?

Yamaha do a lot of engine work for Toyota (who own a lot of Yamaha shares) they did the head work on the 2ZZ-GE (Celica, Lotus Elise), the 1JZ-GTE/2JZ-GTE (mkiii/mk4 Supra) and on the 3S-GE (Altezza) among many others, basically when Toyota need more performance from an engine, enter Yamaha :p

Soldato
Don't worry, the final design is just fine. Like any Jap sports car, it will look a bit 'meh' until you give it some nice rims and some low.
317661_10150902687350374_524235373_21463899_1918611897_n.jpg

It's no secret I'm not a fan of jap styling, but that looks the dog's danglies :D

Soldato
Can't see toyota producing a hot version in the UK if Subaru are doing it. It would be a different market and probably price them out of the MX5 competition which is where they are pitching it. Is this effectively going to replace the MR2/Celica for the near future?

If anything Toyota are likely to go with an EV/Hybrid variant over the BHP

More BHP and price would put them up against the 370Z segment of the market and used Z4 3.0i possibly?

Back
Top Bottom