Public holidays - US v UK

Soldato
I only get 28 including bank holidays and usually carry some over. No idea what I would do with 45 days plus bank holidays!

Soldato
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10029788

For UK holidays. Essentially full time is 5.6 weeks holiday which can include bank holidays (so essentially the minimum they can give is 20 days leave plus bank holidays). So as Jez says, if you get bank holidays also, you are getting 33.

For me, just about to move onto 33 days + bank holidays, and moving to working a 5 day week in 4 days (every monday off). Yay! :D

Soldato
This is the public holidays i get this year

Martin Luther King Day Monday January 17, 2011
President’s Day Monday February 21, 2011
Memorial Day Monday May 30, 2011
4th of July Monday July 4, 2011
Labor Day Monday September 5, 2011
Thanksgiving Day Thursday November 24, 2011
Day After Thanksgiving Friday November 25, 2011
Christmas Monday December 26, 2011
Holiday Week Tues-Fri December 27, 28, 29, 30 2011

Soldato
I know when the girlfriend worked for AIG in the UK, she had the staturtoy minimum of 28 which included bank holidays, so she essentially only had 20 days leave to take when she wanted. Kind of pee'd her off when i got 29 plus bank holidays! :D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

That's very generous

Is it?

Legal min in UK is 28 days (for a full time worker) inc public hols, so it's not that much better.

I also get 30 days + public holidays.

I only get 28 including bank holidays and usually carry some over. No idea what I would do with 45 days plus bank holidays!

I can think of plenty of things to do witrh 45 days holiday!

Man of Honour
Its loads better...:confused:

Indeed. I get 25 days + bank holidays - and I feel that's generous. :) That's 33 days of holiday. He gets 38 days, so 10 days more than the statutory minimum.

The 28 days statutory minimum includes bank holidays as part of the allowance. So a company can give you 20 days, and then you get the 8 days as BH to make up the 28.

Soldato
No idea what I would do with 45 days plus bank holidays!

Sometimes it's nice not to do anything with them :)

You have to bear in mind that some weeks I am doing 84 hours and a lot of my entitlement is because I go out of area (Afghan) for four months every 12 months.

I think the standard is 30 days plus 8 bank holiday days in the military though.

Associate
In Sweden I get 25 days Holiday, and 25 "bank holidays", which are all paid.

They are called Röd Dag though. Red Day....

Soldato
Although their stock holiday entitlement is very low over there, certainly in my gfs company (american) it is very commonplace to take unpaid leave to top it up, far more so than it is over here. Is that your experience too? If it is, then its little different really, you just have to factor it into the package.
Yes, there's a far more relaxed attitude to unpaid leave as well, in the UK it always felt like 'you get enough paid leave' so unpaid leave is frowned upon whereas here they seem far more relaxed about unpaid leave.

Also the prevalence of hourly pay vs salary is far more towards the former in my experience even in professional roles which are traditionally salary-based in the UK.

Crazy though, I haven't encountered it as my jobs have mainly (thankfully!!) been decent pay and conditions but apparently something like 1 in 4 workers in the U.S. don't receive any paid leave or holidays :-/

Last edited:
Associate
50 days holiday??> I wish! :(

I mean I know my 33 are generous... but sometimes do take unpaid leave for a week just to get extra time off.

Move to Sweden then. It's pretty normal over here. In fact loads of stuff just shuts down for a month in the summer.

Soldato
At the two corporate US places I've worked, i've been given

1. New Year
2. Memorial Day
3. Independence Day
4. Labor Day
5. Thanksgiving
6. The Fri after thanksgiving
7. Christmas Day

1st company also gave 10 days vacation.

2nd comany gives me 15days, but next yr, cos i've been here for 5yrs it'll move upto 20days.

The big difference is no sickies allowed. If you are sick they deduct it from your vacation days.. So basically no-one is ever sick unless they're on their death bed.

Thing for me is the sun shines everyday where I'm at and the beaches are out of this world. Coconut palms everywhere makes me feel i'm on holiday every day. So just wanna say thanks to England for being so miserable that even after 7yrs of fun in the sun, it still makes me feel like i'm on a two week bender in the sun !

Back
Top Bottom